Type keyword(s) to search

No not The Rookies, The Rookie: Cop genre and comparison talk

Raja
  • Start Topic

The first year rookie and his trainer has been done many times before, Adam-12, Southland, Third Watch, TJ Hooker....

In a way with a genre superstar doing everything, in this case  Mal Reynolds instead of Captain Kirk The Rookie feels like TJ Hooker with and LAPD cultural adviser. Or at least someone who picked up some ideals while watching Southland.

7 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

I actually like this show. I like the fact, that despite NF's name and cover photo, the show isn't really about just him, but rather the three rookies and their TO's. I guess they couldn't call it The Rookies, though, since I used to watch a different show by that name starring Georg Sanford Brown and Michael Ontkean back in the day. One of the characters had a wife, a nurse named Jill, who was always being taken hostage, which is just about all I remember about it. 

That isn't how I remember it. Mostly I remember a New Centurions like police academy scenes in the pilot a Mod Squad like feel with the two roommate rookies and the backdoor pilot for S.W.A.T. And Sam Melville the USAF vet rookie being married and more mature thus trusted to operate alone

I saw the promo for the post probationary Officers Chen and Jackson. Two academy classmates who are roommates become partners, with a third older classmate on his own. That was the plot of The Rookies