Type keyword(s) to search

The Case for Christ (2017)

• Start Topic

If your mother says she loves you, check it out!  

This journalistic bromide is the genesis (pun intended) for a real-life atheist reporter for the Chicago Tribune  who becomes intent on disproving the existence of God, and specifically, the biblical story (Gospel) around the resurrection following the death on the cross of Jesus.  That his marriage to a woman transforming from atheism to believer was rapidly dying was also central to his investigation.

He contacts various authorities/scientists on the historical Jesus.  Through these, the audience is exposed to various oddities, unexplainable phenomena, and coincidences.  Ultimately, the reporter writes the book upon which this movie is based.

The lead was played with great energy and much charm by Mike Vogel.  I was brought back to one of my favorite modern performances, Billy Crudup in Almost Famous.  He is entirely believable to me as the reporter and the very decent and loving husband and father we see for most of the movie.  

A Scientologist(!) plays the wife who becomes Christian.  Erika Christensen was very compelling to me as her character feared for her marriage.   She was uneven, in my opinion, in her expressions when important faith moments were occurring.  Faye Dunaway! plays a college professor whom the reporter contacts.  I thought she hit a nice note between seen-it-all and cynical professor, and someone who refuses to dismiss faith in a deity as potentially being proven correct.

While I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally hope this thread not devolve into a lot of theology, I will comment on two great conceits which largely inform this film.  1)  That faith can ever be proven, or disproven, utilizing what we know as "scientific method."  To use a phrase invoked several times in the movie, it can;t be about "seeing and touching" objects.  2)  The assertion that if we pray certain passages of the Bible and ask for intercessions, God will grant such in a way we can know and understand.  There are most certainly miraculous things that happen at times when folks pray in this way.  There are also many times in which it appears absolutely nothing was done - as though God wasn't even listening.  

Ultimately, I see this as a couples movie.  It's intelligent and it honors a smart and earnest love in marriage.  It well demonstrates how even the best-intentioned couples can grow apart without there necessarily being a "bad guy."  I can easily see some important, and even cathartic, discussions being inspired.  

The best - and really good - reason to check it out is Vogel's performance.  I also firmly believe that it brings out a lot of important Christian precepts without being preachy.  I highly doubt many will take a lot of umbrage or offense.  Of course, there are those who most certainly will.  Anyway, I've spent many a wasted few hours in a theater.  My time was not wasted watching this one.

• Love 1