Type keyword(s) to search

The Looming Tower - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So Amazon prime video in Canada has this series and I have been watching it. It is pretty good but the show is not so great at handling the passage of time. I just watched the Y2K episode (which obviously took place in December 1999). At the NYE party Ali and his girlfriend make a comment about how he likes her because they had sex in the previous episode. But that episode took place in August of 1998, when the US launched it's retaliatory attacks after the embassy bombings. So why a year and a half later is he acting like the sex just happened and why does he still only "like" her.

On 4/5/2018 at 11:10 AM, teddysmom said:

I understand keeping the Middle East stable, but for fuck's sake lady. You have an imminent threat and you're worried about pissing off the people that were allowing this shit to happen as long as they held onto power? 

The CIA's logic didn't make much sense to me. Her comments in the car were that FBI arresting AQ members could lead to destabilizing of governments in the Arab world. But Schmidt's solution as to bomb pretty much any target that might have even a possible connection to Bin Laden, not caring at all about colateral damage. Are they saying that won't destabilize those countries?

• Love 1
On 4/25/2018 at 12:44 AM, loki567 said:

I agree that flipping between Ali and 9/11 really did kill a lot of the tension in the finale. I wish they either had another episode or rearranged the episode order to have one episode of the actual attack and then one episode of Ali being in Yemen. 

I actually think that the second-to-last episode would have made a more effective ending. Something about the systematic screw-ups really hit home in that episode. Especially when they used the real testimony of Condi and George Tenet and you realize, "holy shit, these people fucked up." 

Really as depressing as 9/11 was, everything that comes after is worse. Afghanistan, Iraq, rendition, Abu Ghraib, the entire Middle East being set on fire. And a lot of the people who were responsible for the screw-ups that led to the attack probably gained more power and stature after it. 

ETA: And holy shit, if anyone wants to hear what Michael Scheur, the real person that Martin was based on, said about John McNeil after 9/11:

Wow. that bastard, cannot believe he said that about John O Neill !?

I am so fkin depressed to see that him and his whore bitch lady friend "Alfreda Frances Bikowsky" portrayed as Diane, were not disgraced and removed from CIA and/or put in Jail. I cannot believe 3000+ familes have kept quiet over this for so long. Instead they grew in ranks over the next 10 years. I guess this really proves the most evil and cunning SOB's rise to power. So fkin unfair. I hope after this series, there will be more pressure for Justice and punish all those responsible for this massive and unthinkable fkup.

And Condi, Condi, she puts Sarah Palin to shame when it comes to dumbness. Great choice Dubya !!!

Having said that, all this still does not add up that 14-15 loons from Yemen n Saudi could pull this off w/o Govt. insider help. So many of the evidences put up by conspiracy theorist are so compelling and after this inside tale, makes me want to believe the theorist even more that rouge "War mongrels" inside the US Govt, WH, CIA, Pentagon, etc. knew about their plans and actually facilitated them to fruition to gain public support and go after Taliban, Iraq and Saddam and the ME oil.

HOW COULD THE TENS OF THOUSANDS OF NSA, CIA, PENTAGON STAFF NOT KEEP TRACK OF 2 THEY KNEW ENTERED US. AND IF LOST TRACK OF, HOW COULD THEY NOT FIND THEM, THEY HAD PICTURES !!!! 

HOW COULD ALL THE LIGHT BULBS NOT LIT WHEN THEY RECD. MEMO OF SOME FRENCH ARAB AL-QAEDA GUY WAS FLAGGED FOR NOT WANTING TO LEARN LAND AN AIRPLANE AT A FLIGHT SCHOOL !!!

HOW COULD THEY NOT KNOW !!!  HOW DUMB WE HAVE TO BE TO BELIEVE THAT !!??