Type keyword(s) to search

Season Three: Mariachi, Mohawks, and Ringers, oh my!

• Start Topic

Season Three - Was Cassadee a sure thing the whole time?  Why did Christina hate Adam's contestants so much?  Will we ever be able to get poor Melanie's disturbing performance of "The Show" out of our head?  How did Blake end up with a Mariachi singer and a girl with a Mohawk on his team?  The world may never know...

Here were the teams:

Team Blake:  Cassadee Pope, Terry McDermott, Michaela Paige, Julio Cesar Castillo, Liz Davis

Team Adam: Amanda Brown, Melanie Martinez, Bryan Keith, Loren Allred, Joselyn Rivera

Team CeeLo:  Nicholas David, Trevin Hunte, Cody Belew, MacKenzie Bourg, Diego Val

Team Christina:  Dez Duron, Sylvia Yacoub, Adriana Louise, De'Borah, Devyn DeLoera

• Love 1

I always think of this season whenever people spout the "Blake picks country over everything else" theories.  Now season 4 he said he was going for a country army, but all the other seasons, this one in particular, showed that he would pick other artists over his country peeps if they did well.  I mean he picked the chick with the mohawk over Liz Davis, which proves right there he will go for the person that he thinks does better/has more potential.

Some of my favorite perfomers were on this season.  I can't help but wonder how it would have been different if the coaches had the saves in the knock out rounds like they did later on in the show.  I think we would have seen more De'Borah for sure - Adam loved her.

Cody still goes down as most entertaining performance with that Beyonce cover.  It was awesome covered in glitter!

• Love 2

Amanda Brown should have won this season pretty easily, but I actually thought Christina's "box" comment was true in the end. She shifted between R&B and rock so much during the duration of the show. I would have thought may be she could have been a modern day Tina Turner. The shifting between genres and her stagnation after her first live performance of Dream On which she was never quite able to live up to may have caused her elimination. She peaked to early and genre switching didn't set a clear identity for her to the audience. I know I'm generalizing too much here, but if I were Amanda's coach I would have kept her in the arena rock box until it was exhausted and then try something softer. I did love her rendition of Grace Potter's Stars, though.

• Love 1

Amanda Brown should have won this season pretty easily, but I actually thought Christina's "box" comment was true in the end. She shifted between R&B and rock so much during the duration of the show. I would have thought may be she could have been a modern day Tina Turner. The shifting between genres and her stagnation after her first live performance of Dream On which she was never quite able to live up to may have caused her elimination. She peaked to early and genre switching didn't set a clear identity for her to the audience. I know I'm generalizing too much here, but if I were Amanda's coach I would have kept her in the arena rock box until it was exhausted and then try something softer. I did love her rendition of Grace Potter's Stars, though.

I love Amanda Brown and she was the second artist (behind Juliet) that I purchased iTunes.  That being said, even I was like WTF when she came out and sang "Natural Woman".  It kind of took her out of the "image" she had created with Dream On, and you are right, she never could live up to that.  I think that was her choice though, not Adam's.  Adam pushed her to rock which worked for the show, but by her own choices I don't think she wanted to go in that direction.

I actually wouldn't have minded Christina's comments to Amanada and also Melanie because they were the truth, but the fact that she aimed all her daggers at them and just had glowing praise for everyone else really left me (even more) sour on her.

• Love 2

Then I truly didn't know what Amanda wanted to be as an artist. She seemed to gravitate to the old powerhouse R&B singer which is beyond played out on these shows. Adam had the right idea to shift her towards the rocker side since I don't seem to recall many black woman who wanted to rock it out on here or Idol (Ashley De La Rosa was still a girl). It gave her a unique appeal that I would have preferred.

Christina was probably sour over being the first coach to lose all her players. Sylvia was a boring powerhouse mini-Christina and Dez Duran was all nasal, but pretty. I did love her suggestion for Melanie to sing Criminal by Fiona Apple, and she does in the next show was so serendipitous. =) Adam really didn't understand Melanie and the image she had created when he gave her The Show.

• Love 1
I mean he picked the chick with the mohawk over Liz Davis, which proves right there he will go for the person that he thinks does better/has more potential.

Except that Blake also picked Julio Cesar over MarissaAnn, which I thought was one of the worst battle-round picks in 6 seasons of this show.   MarissaAnn really slayed Lady Marmalade in that KO round; earning well deserved standing ovations from two of the other coaches.  The only explanation Blake gave afterwards was that he had already picked Michaela (the mohawk girl) and that they were too similar. 

• Love 1