Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Canticle

This episode just aired here and I never had the urge to talk about an episode before, because this show was always some really nice entertainment with good actors and stories for me. But somehow it feels a bit odd now? And it's not the addition of Trewlove, whom I actually like. I somehow feel like the tone is different... and I'm also a bit sad that Monica suddenly vanished (I know she'll pop up again, but I mean as a love interest). I can't explain it.

As to this episode, I feel like there are some scenes missing. I actually liked the Jennifer = Christopher twist, but there was next to no foreshadwing of it. I even went back and watched the scenes with the band again to see if there were any meaningful looks or touches but nothing. Not even some casual remarks about the importance Christopher supposedly had for the songwriter. Did I miss something? How did Morse figure that one out? The lyrics to Jennifer Sometimes really didn't say anything specific either, because Chris never played with his hair for example. That would have been a clue. Or has "looking (?) under toadstools" a meaning I, as someone whose first language is not English, wouldn't get? Someone please help me out there!

As I understood it, Jennifer tried to kill the Pettybon woman, because she specifically targeted the song that what she thought was a song written for her.

I also feel like the only person who didn't hate the younger Pettybon woman. Yes, I cringed a lot during her scenes with Morse, but I probably whooped out loud when she finally stood up to her mother in the end. Glad she wasn't a true love interest though.

5 hours ago, Azi said:

The lyrics to Jennifer Sometimes really didn't say anything specific either, because Chris never played with his hair for example. That would have been a clue. Or has "looking (?) under toadstools" a meaning I, as someone whose first language is not English, wouldn't get? Someone please help me out there!

Go back to the old school, look under a toadstool. The "toadstools" line is the clue. It's another name for mushrooms (magic mushrooms or shrooms) that are hallucinogenic. Morse realized that the song couldn't be about Emma Jennifer because she wasn't around when Christopher and Nick were doing them, when they were back in school.

Hope this helps.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Popples said:

Go back to the old school, look under a toadstool. The "toadstools" line is the clue. It's another name for mushrooms (magic mushrooms or shrooms) that are hallucinogenic. Morse realized that the song couldn't be about Emma Jennifer because she wasn't around when Christopher and Nick were doing them, when they were back in school.

Hope this helps.

It does help a bit. I mean I did know what toadstools are, but somehow I didn't connect them with mushrooms... sigh. Did they specifically mention that they did shrooms together in school? Because otherwise it's just "Whom did he shrooms with in school that has the same aount of syllables as Jennifer" which I find kind of weak. 
I really wish they had shown Chris constantly playing with his hair or something.

3 hours ago, Azi said:

It does help a bit. I mean I did know what toadstools are, but somehow I didn't connect them with mushrooms... sigh. Did they specifically mention that they did shrooms together in school? Because otherwise it's just "Whom did he shrooms with in school that has the same aount of syllables as Jennifer" which I find kind of weak. 
I really wish they had shown Chris constantly playing with his hair or something.

Morse and Trewlove had a conversation about it. It's about 45 minutes into the episode, when Morse is reading the article about them and Trewlove says she read somewhere that they nearly called the band "The Toadstools" in honor of the mushroom trips Nick and Chris used to go on.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Popples said:

Morse and Trewlove had a conversation about it. It's about 45 minutes into the episode, when Morse is reading the article about them and Trewlove says she read somewhere that they nearly called the band "The Toadstools" in honor of the mushroom trips Nick and Chris used to go on.

Oooooh, I went back and watched that scene. It makes more sense now! I actually think the problem was the translation for me. Like, in the original Morse even says "Christopher sometimes..." when he reads from the article. That wouldn't have been clear in the German version I watched - same with the Toadstools. 

On 8/28/2017 at 10:12 AM, tootsie said:

More Bright, please, and am becoming quite fond of the bespectacled med examiner.

I like his obvious disdain for Strange.

On 8/31/2017 at 11:01 PM, jjj said:

That's odd.  I wonder what the connection is to the episode?   I completely forgot to go look for the clue, thank you! 

The band manager kept mentioning where he was in London (for his alibi)--was it that road, perhaps? Are he and any of the others who put Daniel in the trunk going to be punished?