Type keyword(s) to search

Canadian Politics: Because Everyone (OK, Many People) Loves Justin

I have to admit that I voted Liberal last year - only the second time I did.  I'm still a bit iffy on the refugees situation - I'm worried that too many new comers - whether it be refugees or "traditional" immigrants would take away from our resources.  I'm also worried that some people - particularly the less-educated (typically women and/or older individuals, male or female), will find it very tough to integrate, and therefore, difficult to find jobs.  When you aren't working, you're more isolated from the general public, and thus, more likely to stay within your own group (if you can find people of a similar cultural background), becoming more ignorant of others around you.  And this is even if you have kids who're going to school and absorbing other cultures!  What are other people's thoughts? 

Oh, admin, feel free to move this into its own subthread. 

2 hours ago, PRgal said:

I have to admit that I voted Liberal last year - only the second time I did.  I'm still a bit iffy on the refugees situation - I'm worried that too many new comers - whether it be refugees or "traditional" immigrants would take away from our resources.  I'm also worried that some people - particularly the less-educated (typically women and/or older individuals, male or female), will find it very tough to integrate, and therefore, difficult to find jobs.  When you aren't working, you're more isolated from the general public, and thus, more likely to stay within your own group (if you can find people of a similar cultural background), becoming more ignorant of others around you.  And this is even if you have kids who're going to school and absorbing other cultures!  What are other people's thoughts? 

I'm a diehard Liberal, so I'm thrilled we finally have a decent government again. I'll admit that I was a little leery of Trudeau's qualifications, but I've been pleasantly surprised, and I always knew that he'd surround himself with a strong and able cabinet.

I'm not the slightest bit iffy on the refugee situation, I'm so happy we stepped up and did the right thing. Perhaps you shouldn't worry so much about the older people that aren't going to integrate, and worry about the younger generations where people are more open to change. How adapatable are your own grandparents?  Probably not so much.  

And no disrespect meant to the Americans here, but I am so thankful to be Canadian right now....

• Love 7
44 minutes ago, briochetwist said:

I'm a diehard Liberal, so I'm thrilled we finally have a decent government again. I'll admit that I was a little leery of Trudeau's qualifications, but I've been pleasantly surprised, and I always knew that he'd surround himself with a strong and able cabinet.

I'm not the slightest bit iffy on the refugee situation, I'm so happy we stepped up and did the right thing. Perhaps you shouldn't worry so much about the older people that aren't going to integrate, and worry about the younger generations where people are more open to change. How adapatable are your own grandparents?  Probably not so much.  

And no disrespect meant to the Americans here, but I am so thankful to be Canadian right now....

Probably not so much regarding older people, but what about an illiterate, 35 year old woman?  I'm sympathetic, but it's going to be so much more difficult for her than a same-aged woman with a university degree who, even if a non-speaker of either official language, will find it much easier to integrate.  People who are less educated are more likely to hold on to old traditions - ones which might be considered passé in the old country.  As a child of immigrants (Hong Kong), I have EXPERIENCED this first hand.  Not from my direct circle, but comments made by "kids" of immigrants from an older, less-educated generation/situation (usually people of a certain age whose parents were WWII refugees).  My response to them typically ranges from "well, some cultures are more integrated, yet still keep some old customs" (because multiculturalism is a buffet, not a prix fixe menu) to "CONGRATULATIONS, ma'am/sir, for sticking to your roots!  I'm sure your ancestors are proud!" #sarcasm.  That said, I'm a bit worried about children of the less-educated adults who are probably going to be MORE confused about what's "appropriate."  They could be told one thing is considered "proper"/"acceptable" at school, but would go home only to be told that it's not appropriate at all (my very helicopter grandmother (who lived with my family) told me "good Chinese girls don't date until they're 18."  She also told me "good Chinese girls don't go to school dances."  Ummmm, like THAT was going to happen.  She realized that wasn't true when a neighbour of ours - a "good Chinese girl" went to her prom.  Besides, my mom put her foot down and said I was free to go to any dance I wanted to - after Grade 9.  I think I was technically allowed to go in middle school, but was too afraid to do so because my grandmother would get mad). 

18 hours ago, PRgal said:

Probably not so much regarding older people, but what about an illiterate, 35 year old woman?  I'm sympathetic, but it's going to be so much more difficult for her than a same-aged woman with a university degree who, even if a non-speaker of either official language, will find it much easier to integrate.  People who are less educated are more likely to hold on to old traditions - ones which might be considered passé in the old country.  As a child of immigrants (Hong Kong), I have EXPERIENCED this first hand.  Not from my direct circle, but comments made by "kids" of immigrants from an older, less-educated generation/situation (usually people of a certain age whose parents were WWII refugees).  My response to them typically ranges from "well, some cultures are more integrated, yet still keep some old customs" (because multiculturalism is a buffet, not a prix fixe menu) to "CONGRATULATIONS, ma'am/sir, for sticking to your roots!  I'm sure your ancestors are proud!" #sarcasm.  That said, I'm a bit worried about children of the less-educated adults who are probably going to be MORE confused about what's "appropriate."  They could be told one thing is considered "proper"/"acceptable" at school, but would go home only to be told that it's not appropriate at all (my very helicopter grandmother (who lived with my family) told me "good Chinese girls don't date until they're 18."  She also told me "good Chinese girls don't go to school dances."  Ummmm, like THAT was going to happen.  She realized that wasn't true when a neighbour of ours - a "good Chinese girl" went to her prom.  Besides, my mom put her foot down and said I was free to go to any dance I wanted to - after Grade 9.  I think I was technically allowed to go in middle school, but was too afraid to do so because my grandmother would get mad). 

Thanks for sharing your perspective. I think I can probably agree with you that an illiterate 35 year old woman may have problems adapting to our culture, hopefully they will take advantage of the programs that are offered to them. Having said that, I'm sure that their families will be there to support them. 

I'm guessing I'm older than you, I've got teens and I'm also your basic boring white Canadian with no cultural influences to speak of (my father referred to our heritage as 'Heinz 57' and found out in my teens that we were Scottish/Irish on my mom's side - who knew? :)  Anyway, my kids have lots of friends with different cultural backgrounds, and a lot of them have grandparents at home. I find that pretty much all of those kids have parents that have adapated a more modern way of thinking. I also know plenty of white kids whose parents don't let them go to dances either or date until they are 16 or 18!

Some of the refugees won't adapt well and won't want to integrate, but that's to be expected. For me the bigger picture is that we're a nation of immigrants, and we needed to step up and do the right thing.

• Love 5