Type keyword(s) to search

Guided by world-renowned chef Masa Takayama, Bourdain’s return trip to Japan begins with a tour of outdoor food markets in Kanazawa where they sample uni, steak-sized oysters, and grilled eel liver, followed by a conversation with an ex-geisha at her teahouse, and comes full circle with a special omakase experience at Tokyo’s acclaimed Ginza restaurant, Sushi Koi, where Masa trained as an apprentice.

Sweet! I love how Bourdain is open to showcasing different regions of Japan and I hope he does well by Kanazawa. Tokyoites often think I've mispronounced Kanagawa when I rave about how terrific the lifestyle is in Kanazawa. The surrounding prefecture has worked hard to attract international student programs and so I have often gotten the impression than non-Japanese know the place much more than say, Tokyoites. The seafood there really is excellent and I have fond memories of a summer spent eating kaga ryori, barbecue eel and occasionally drinking the novelty gold leaf tea. 

In addition to other regional cooking like robata, it would be fun if Bourdain spent one of these trips to Japan sampling the yummy offerings at the different convenience store chains. Or walking through one of those department store food courts (depachika).

• Love 3

Aw, Lawson's. Does anyone know if Lawson's is more prevalent in one area of Japan versus 7-11?

I'm glad they showed the custard. Its a part of Japan that you really only see in Japan.

I'm more of a Family Mart person but I believe Lawson still is more prevalent than 7-Eleven in places like Okinawa and Shikoku.

The chawanmushi take on an egg custard can be found in Taiwan as well. I assume it's one of the many cultural holdovers from Japanese rule. I did a quick internet search and while I'm not going to attempt to read the page, the Taipei 7-Elevens appear to have their own branded chawanmushi for about a $1.

I liked this episode. It didn't showcase the Kanazawa or Ishikawa I know but by making the show about Takayama and having Bourdain be quietly deferential, there was a lovely relaxed rhythm to the cohesive piece. I liked getting to see the duo eat right at the fish market vendors; Masa's friend hinting her pour wasn't reciprocated; the sculptor with the enviable retreat at Yamanaka Onsen making soba by hand; the funny proprietor at Ginza Sushi-Ko telling stories about Masa's saxophone playing; getting to see the mom and pastry chef daughter interact; mom's house with the awesomely ancient toaster oven; and how his older brother surprised everyone by admitting he'd have liked trying fashion design. Throw in some kendo and it was a nice mix of places across Japan, including the chef's hometown. 

Edited by halopub
spelling and still mulling additional thought
  • Love 2