Type keyword(s) to search

Macbeth (2015)

MisterGlass
  • Start Topic

This is about the version of Macbeth starring Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard that came out late last year.

I just finished watching this, and while Macbeth has never been cheery, this was unrelentingly dark.  It feels more like Shakespeare as written by George R. R. Martin.  They made a few changes from the play that emphasize the idea of Macbeth as a tyrant, and give Lady Macbeth more reason for regret.  I do like the variation on the Birnam Wood prophecy.  The movie is a little slow in places, but the acting is good, and I'll probably watch it again.

• Love 1
(edited)

Respectable.  I had a harder time understanding the Scots.  ETA: Actually, since I didn't think about her English while viewing it, she probably deserves more praise.

Edited by MisterGlass
Addition.
  • Love 1
(edited)

I despised this with all my heart, which made me so sad because I was so very excited for it. Macbeth is my favourite Shakespeare play and I thought I might finally get the ultimate Macbeth couple in Fassbender and Cotillard, who had so much potential, and was let down hard (I've never seen a production or a film where I've enjoyed both Macbeth and his Lady equally; it's always been one or the other). For me this film was the ultimate "style of substance" product - it looked gorgeous, but a lot of it made very little sense thanks to the cuts. And the whispering, oh my god, the constant whispering. There was no power, no variation in their delivery, and it drove me absolutely nuts. Marion Cotillard's English would've been perfectly understandable and well-delivered if she'd just spoken up. (I quite liked the fact that she had an accent, it gave the feel that she was some sort of trophy bride.) The fault lies with the director here, of course; since it was so constant it must've been something he wanted.

Also, for, me, for Macbeth to work you need to be able to see his descent into dictatorship and tyrant from an essentially good man. You need to see him struggle with the decisions he makes, and feel him being torn. I didn't get any of that from Fassbender. He was so cold, all the way through. And again, that must've been a director's choice.

Some things were good - starting with the funeral, having Lady M there to see the execution of the Macduffs... But no. I was angry about this for days. (You can't tell, can you?)

Edited by Schweedie

I can tell, just a little.

There were definitely some odd cuts, and at the beginning they surprised me, but after a while I didn't mind.  And I can understand why the style (and all the whispering, 'cause there is that) would be off-putting.  For me the strange, stark approach worked.

Is there a film you like best?  I've seen the Orson Welles and Akira Kurusawa "Throne of Blood" versions.

(edited)

I'm most fond of the Polanski film from -71, which I rewatch every now and then, even though it isn't perfect, either - Jon Finch leaves a little to be desired. But it gets most things right and Francesca Annis is my favourite Lady M, which gives it the edge. (I'm seeing this summer's Globe production in London next month, so I hold out hope for the ultimate Macbeth couple.)

ETA - if we're including wider adaptions I also really enjoy the ShakespeaRe-Told version with James McAvoy. But I love the actual text so much I prefer it straight.

As for this version, I came home and ranted angrily to a friend who'd seen before me (and didn't like it either) for almost an hour afterwards. I really was so disappointed, and surprised. I thought for sure you couldn't go wrong with Fassbender and Cotillard.

Edited by Schweedie