Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls Music

• Start Topic

In S1E8 (Love & War & Snow) there is an instrumental that is played first when Lorelei wakes up because she senses snow and then again when she sees Max while walking through town. My brain is saying this is a real song and not just GG interstitial music. But I have googled and googled and I cannot find what it might be. We even tried using Shazam, to no avail. If it's not a real song, it sounds just like a song that I cannot get out of my head--and unfortunately the one line of lyrics stuck in my head haven't yielded any results either (I'm not even sure if the lyrics are correct).

So I thought I'd ask here if anyone knows if that's an actual song or just GG atmosphere music.

I think it's just the "strummy la-la's" (as the recapper used to call it).  If you back up a little bit before the second scene, when Lane runs off after running her fingers thru her bandmate's hair (oh, Lane...) they are playing a slightly different version of the same tune, with Sam Phillips singing the la-la's.

The two featured songs for that episode.

"Someone To Watch Over Me"
by Ricki Lee Jones

"Pictures of You"
by The Cure

My bet is an instrumental version of Someone to Watch Over Me. One of the best songs ever written especially in the hands of a great vocalist.

90% sure now it is an instrumental version of Pictures of you.

Edited by Watcher0363

Not to be too pedantic but Someone to Watch Over Me was written by the Gershwin boys - George and Ira - about ninety years ago.

Well aware of this. That is why I put in the hands of a great vocalist. So many have covered it. Few do it justice. Jazz greats just kill the song.

Edited by Watcher0363

Sorry. I  was just puzzled in that the other song referenced for that episode was both written (and performed) by member(s) of The Cure. As posted, it appeared - to me at least - that for Someone to Watch Over Me,  the singer was being  credited for both the creation and performance of the song.

Given the respect ASP showed to song writing and prominent song-writers going back some years - Carole King and Paul Anka, come to mind - I thought the originators of that lovely ballad should receive recognition.