Type keyword(s) to search

Sarah's Marathon Diary: The Artist's Way

I do enjoy these write-ups, and I hate to nitpick you, but this is a pet peeve of mine:

"average lifespan of their people is 38" Their average lifespan is almost certainly so low because they have a high infant mortality rate, not because adults drop dead at 38. Any boy who lives to the age to take dancing lessons has a good chance of making it to the 60 or so they would need to to participate in the festival in the worst case (born roughly around the time of the last festival).

Certainly they are at higher risk of dying younger than the average American, but not that much risk of dying that much younger, once they are safely out of infancy and early childhood.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat

Understood, but this isn't how it was framed in the episode. We're given to understand that most of these boys won't see the next festival. I know the difference; the writers may not have; given that a smithy is doing surgery on children, you may see a high proportion of kids dying at age 3; whatever the case, "most of the kids who learn the steps won't end up using them" is what we're meant to take away from it.

Sorry to nitpick the nitpick. Don't make the news, just report it.