Type keyword(s) to search

The Overlooked Star: The Music

One element that absolutely adds so much to Remington Steele is the wonderful music score by Richard Lewis Warren based on Henry Mancini's themes. The music always gives each episode a touch of class that elevates them above the typical weekly show. It's like watching mini movie! The score is always taylored to each episode beautifully. Elegance that you don't find on tv often. Remington Steele wouldn't be the same without this music!

Watching Steele now, the music is even more noticeable in an era where shows have few identifiable themes. I'd love a soundtrack release! I've always had a soft spot for the jazzy sound of this show, especially the end / Laura's theme.

• Love 2

Laura's theme (which also served for the main titles in Season 1) is an all-time favorite for me among television themes. During the original run we hardly ever heard its end-title rendition in full, because Remington Steele was in the last primetime slot and the tease for the 11:00 news would be given, silencing the soundtrack until perhaps the last few notes.

• Love 1

As odd as it sounds, for several years as a child, I and my best friend were obsessed with Henry Mancini. We found my parent's old eight track tapes and plugged them into the stereo and danced and made up skits and acted out all kinds of dramatics to the tune of Peter Gunn, Mr. Lucky, A Shot in the Dark, The Pink Panther Theme, Baby Elephant Walk, A Soldier in the Rain, Moon River and so many more. My first concert was Henry Mancini. He got a standing ovation at the end. My hands hurt from clapping so long and loud.

My eight year old eye caught Mancini's name in the credits of Remington Steele and I had to watch and Remington Steele remains my all time fav TV show. Coincidence? Nah, kismet.

Now that I think of it, my official favorite classic movie, Charade, also just happens to have its theme written by Mancini but I'd always credited Remington Steele for making me love old movies with suave leads like Cary Grant in them. Huh, well, I guess it's a full circle.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2