Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Home Sweet Home-School

My 2 cents:  I actually live in Orlando (and did during the time period of the show...Eddie and I graduated hs the same year).  While very different than DC, I find it amusing that Orlando was "all white" in 1995.  I disagree with the assertion that's all the city is.  We're definitely a second city (between Tampa and Miami), but we have huge cultural enclaves if you get out of the tourist areas: Huge Hispanic populations (Puerto Ricans, Mexicans and some South Americans), large Vietnamese community, some Thai, Chinese and Korean enclaves, good size South Asian population and a fairly large Caribbean population (my family and myself are from Trinidad of Indian descent...lots of Indo Caribbean folks in this town).  Eddie's family lived on the southwest side of town in Dr. Phillips/Windermere/Bay Hill (think where the Arnold Palmer Invitational is held and where International Drive is), so in 1995, it really was "very white".  Go to Mills/50 or Pine Hills or Parramore or Kissimmee and I guarantee you'll have found lots of people of color.  It's also quite different now with continued growth and immigrants coming into town; those more expensive zip codes, while still majority white, are much more diverse.  We're not a big city, but there is a good bit of diversity outside of the Disney/tourist areas.

Totally related to the "extra school":  My mom and all the "aunties" took it upon themselves to make sure we were all doing something education or culturally related, so we would stay out of trouble and do well in school.  This meant after school, weekends and summers.  This sucked.  I mean, I appreciate the love and care and I ended up going to a good school and getting a good job, like a good Indian girl, but dang.  Can a girl get a day off?!  Good to see Eddie and the CLC feeling my pain.

Edited by TrininisaScorp
  • Love 4

Thanks for the input, TrininisaScorp. Wasn't trying to dis Orlando; was going off my aging recollection of living there. (I grew up in Orlando through high school in the 80s and then my father relocated us all to Chicago.) That, and the sporadic visits to family still there, which clearly doesn't translate into living there as you do. Props for representing the city properly!

Edited by Ghost Bear
  • Love 1