Type keyword(s) to search

Joan In The Media

• Start Topic

(edited)

JOAN

Category — Drama

Network — ITV1 & ITVX (in UK) and The CW (in US)

Release Date:

• Sep 2024 (in UK, exact date TBA)
  • Oct 02, 2024 (in US)

Synopsis:

Joan Hannington (Sophie Turner), a fiery and uncompromising woman in her 20s, is a devoted mother to her 6-year-old daughter, Kelly, but is trapped in a disastrous marriage with a violent criminal named Gary. When Gary goes on the run, Joan seizes the opportunity to create a new life for herself and her daughter. Adopting new identities and making new acquaintances along the way, Joan becomes a masterful jewel thief. She embarks on a thrilling, high-stakes journey that challenges her every limit, driven by her desire to create a secure home.

Additional Info:

Joan is a six-part limited series from the British network ITV that will be aired by the CW starting Tuesday, October 2.

Created and written by The Essex Serpent’s Anna Symon and based on the exhilarating and emotional real-life of Hannington, the show also stars Frank Dillane, Kirsty J Curtis, Gershwyn Eustache Jnr and Laura Aikman in other key roles.

Joan is inspired by the life of Joan Hannington, a British woman who grew from a loveless childhood and disastrous first marriage to ‘the Godmother’ of the diamond heist. Hannington was one of Britain’s most notorious jewellery thieves for 11 years. Born in London in 1957, today Hannington lives beside the sea with her dogs but, back in the ‘80s, she led a glamorous life of crime.

Joan | Official Trailer | ITV

Edited by Snazzy Daisy
  • Thanks 1

Joan is a 6 episode Drama TV Series airing on October 2, 2024 on The CW at 9pm and airing in the UK on ITV1 in September 2024. Joan is based on 2 memoirs about the real-life jewel thief, Joan Hannington (I Am What I Am (2004) and Joan: The true story of Britain’s most notorious diamond thief (upcoming release September 2024)), and from input with Joan Hannington, herself.   

Joan is about Joan Hannington, a notorious British jewel thief set in 1980s London - an era known for its bold fashion trends, iconic music and cultural shifts. Joan is a devoted mother to her six-year-old daughter, Kelly, but is trapped in a disastrous marriage with a violent criminal named Gary. When Gary goes on the run, Joan seizes the opportunity to create a new life for herself and her daughter. Joan uses her sharp intelligence, charm and talent for impersonation and performance, to becomes a masterful jewel thief known as "The Godmother", she discovers that she a talent for entering high-end jewelry stores in a myriad of disguises, switching out the diamonds with fakes, after swallowing the real ones to sell to shady jewelers. All while attempting to win her daughter back from social services.

Sophie-Turner904-08192024-faf9f4edc3994c

Sophie Turner as Joan Hannington, a notorious real-life jewel thief.

DINERJOANSPECIALS_17_05_23SA-51_R1-H-202

Frank Dillane as Boisie Hannington, a corrupt London antiques dealer, Joan's future husband. 

Kirsty J. Curtis as Nancy, Joan's older sister and salon worker 

Gershwyn Eustache Jr. as Albie, an old acquaintance of Boisie who's made a new life in Spain with his wife Val

Laura Aikman as Val

Tomi May as King

Alex Blake as Bernard

• Thanks 1

Joan's costume designer...

IG — Richard Cooke Costume

Introducing Joan Hannington, well at least my version of her. I’ve seen this shot posted several times and thought I better post it as well ahead of the launch on 29th September. The brilliant @sophiet in one of my favourite costumes I designed for her on Joan. Emerald green silk jumpsuit made by the fabulous Nicky Varney paired with a faux fur we had made at Gales Fur.

spacer.png

• Like 1