Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E02: Speak No Evil

Snarkette

If that actually was Audrey who spoke briefly to Nathan, this makes me wonder wny neither Lucy or Sara has come through. Is Audrey the strongest personality of the Haven savers that she was able to bleed through momentarily?

Whatever happens in the Barn to wipe the old personality, it didn't happen to Audrey. Yeah, we got Lexie, but she was more of a "patch" that William broke through pretty easily. Audrey was still right under the surface the entire time.

If that actually was Audrey who spoke briefly to Nathan, this makes me wonder wny neither Lucy or Sara has come through. Is Audrey the strongest personality of the Haven savers that she was able to bleed through momentarily?

Nathan shooting Howard destroyed the barn. It seems the barn did the whole memory wiping and implanting process on Mara. I think Audrey remained because the process was disrupted when the Barn was destroyed.  Audrey did have flashbacks of Lucy in S3 so it seems the memory wiping process is not absolute.

I still doubt it really is Audrey, but perhaps after 500 years something has changed in Mara and Audrey just happens to be the personality that comes at the right time. Perhaps the process has finally transformed Mara a little, although it doesn't seem like it right now. I still think Mara is the one who needs to change, if the solution is just suppressing her and burying her true nature under false memories then it seems a pretty hollow victory ,in my opinion.

After a rewatch, I'm even more impressed with Gloria, since it sounds like she didn't know about the whole Audrey is Lexie, Lucy, Sarah, Mara, etc., thing. Nathan had to give her that briefing. And yet she still figured out that something was wrong when "Audrey" was using Vickie's card to get into the morgue and hid with the black balls. Though Nathan probably should have called to warn her, since Mara had the card for access and Gloria wouldn't have known she couldn't trust "Audrey." And I suppose this means that Gloria wasn't part of Team Troubles in 1983 with Garland and Lucy, or else Gloria would have known about Lucy and recognized Audrey. Eleanor must have been their medical examiner contact at the time when she was the intern (didn't Julia say something about her mother being the intern at that time?), and if anything was done to hide the fact that they were burying a box of bricks instead of the Colorado Kid, it must have been Eleanor who was in on it, not Gloria.

I'm now even more sure that Nathan knew exactly what would happen when he confronted Duke, because Dwight even said to Nathan what was likely to happen before Nathan said he'd talk to Duke. And I don't know that he was panicking so much as he was still trying to communicate with Duke and make sure Duke heard him so he couldn't block him out. With his eyes and ears sewn shut, he didn't know what Duke was doing, and since the key to it all was breaking through Duke's denial, he was still making sounds and trying to talk even with his mouth sewn shut so Duke would have to face it. Then talking with his mouth sewn shut probably made it harder to breathe and get enough oxygen, so he was collapsing.

I hope that Nathan is there to help when Duke buries Jennifer at sea because it would be a nice bookend to Duke showing up to help bury the Chief.

Random thought that popped into my head: I don't think this is what's happening, but it occurred to me that Nathan could have the same kind of injuries as Dave and wouldn't know it until the next time he changes shirts because he wouldn't feel it, and it's possible that when he apparently changed shirts after being shot (given his track record, he must carry multiple changes of clothing in his truck) the bruises weren't yet showing. I guess I thought of that when Mara told Nathan to take off his shirt, and then I wondered what we'd see that he hadn't noticed.

ETA: I wonder if the scenes with Duke on that pier were originally written to be on the deck of the Cape Rouge and they added Nathan's line mentioning that it was Duke and Jennifer's emergency meeting spot when the boat that plays the Cape Rouge sank and they had to come up with another location and a reason why Duke would be hanging out there. Duke mentioned that Jennifer complained about the Cape Rouge, so I wonder if that's laying the groundwork for him to move somewhere else now that they can't use the boat. The interior was always a set, so I guess it's possible that they could only show Duke at home in the cabin, but it might be easier to just write the boat out.

Edited by Shanna Marie
  • Love 1