Type keyword(s) to search

Dress My Tour - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Dress My Tour

Competitive Reality

Hulu / Disney+

Released July 23, 2024

Hosted by supermodel and actress Kate Upton, “Dress My Tour” takes fans behind the curtain of the unpredictable fashion and music industries. The series follows 11 aspiring fashion designers on the raw, emotional journey of creating stunning fashion pieces worthy of the music world’s biggest names like JoJo Siwa, Paula Abdul, Toni Braxton, Ty Dolla $ign and more. As these designers compete to make their mark in the fashion and music industries, find out which one of them truly has what it takes to design for the stars and win the $100,000 prize. Dress My Tour streams on Hulu July 23.

(edited)

I've watched the first few episodes of this and honestly...  it's not great.  The designs have been meh, the runway presentations have been confusing and the contestants seem more interested in petty drama than actually producing good work.  

This is all unfortunate because the overall concept of the show isn't bad.  Focusing on stage presentations for music artists is a strong idea for a fashion design show.  But the execution has been rough. 

For the JoJo Siwa episode, it was so confusing whether they were designing for her or one of her back up dancers - especially since they were assigned a mix of male and female models.  None of the designs looked like they were actually for JoJo and the winning design had exposed nipples.  Even though JoJo is trying to change her image, I still can't see her wearing a shirt with an exposed chest like the winning design.  And the bottom design was criticized for having too many elements... uh, have you seen what JoJo has been wearing lately?  The bottom design wasn't well-executed but it was probably more on brand than the rest of the designs.

One beacon of light is that the show has gotten marginally better with each progressive episode.  The designs for Toni Braxton actually looked like they were trying to design for her.  But even here the runway presentation did little favors to the designers.  I wish sometimes they would do a "normal" runway so that you could actually see the designs.

I may or may not keep watching this show.  Depends on if there is something better on.

Edited by zenithwit
  • Like 1
(edited)

I happened to see this on the schedule on ABC, and being a fan of Project Runway, I decided to DVR.    I just finished the first episode where the designers are making costumes for JoJo Siwa and I agree with @zenithwit that these contestants are a bit much.   It could be that they're just not used to how to act on camera, but there are a bunch I want to see GOOOO!  I have no patience for the ones who are dressing too over the top in a way to let the world know that they're quirky and have a flair for creativity...  Juju with the orange tape over her nips, Michael with the pointy shoulders, Rey with crazy buckle jacket, etc.  Cram that crap. 

It was crazy that so many of them were thrown off when they discovered that they would have to design for males and I found most of the finished looks to be tacky.  Also, so many wanting to be stylists.  Come on, you dreamers who aspire to shopping for some big celeb, spending their days matching shoes to some outfit.  Yeesh.  

The "mother" Laurieann Gibson needs to chill it down too, with the ego. 

Edited by patty1h
On 7/30/2024 at 12:08 PM, patty1h said:

Also, so many wanting to be stylists

Good point about the seemingly large number of contestants who are stylists and not actually designers.  Makes you wonder about the talent pool for this show - or that the producers casted for drama instead of talent.

• Like 1
(edited)

This show aired twice on ABC and today I noticed that it had disappeared from my DVR as an upcoming recording and it's no longer listed on my cable schedule.  I'm not totally surprised that this got yanked - this show was produced with a very low bar.  The contestants and judges... zzzzzzzzzz and the outfits made for JoJo Siwa's tour were on a high school level of taste and construction.

Edited by patty1h
(edited)

I recently binged this show on Hulu.   I enjoy design shows but it’s crazy how many contestants on these shows can’t sew very well , and there were some characters on this show…oh my goodness.  I liked the winner even though I didn’t enjoy the clothes in the finale. 

Edited by Backwards999