Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: Kids See Ghosts

• Start Topic

Laura surprises Olivia, Jordan and Spencer with a special gift from Billy that helps them navigate issues they're each dealing with; Layla makes a discovery during therapy; Coop prepares Patience for the next step in their case against Miko.

I was dreading the fact Taye was gonna be "back" for this ep.  Turns out it was a pretty great device and it was very well done.

The "conversations" flowed exceptionally well.  The back and forth to missives written ages ago seemed as natural as can be.  Kudos.  

However, the profundities were off.  The sentiments expressed by Billy were those one would have of older children.  Sure, he would love them always.  But, the impact of "believing" in them was empty.  What had they done to merit such a belief, other then to be born to him?

Layla's stuff rang very true.  I didn't much care for the light machine.  Also, the instantaneous and curative insights was nothing short of miraculous - and not believable.    

The lads had a freakin' National Championship game in the Rose Bowl in less than 5 days.  And they had all this time and energy for super deep relationship issues - to include the idiot coach (who is MUCH too smart to sabotage his QB at this time of times).  All unnecessary and cheapening.  Insane, even.

Deion's "rescue" was organic.  Tash doing a 180 based on one conversation forced on her was a farce.  Does Pod Tash get a acting credit?  Still, it was gratifying to see him open up as he did.  His arc played out well and the resolution was realistic, if not super sped up.

I have no problem with Patience melting as she did.  I have a problem with the whole contrivance of the upcoming trial.  Is there a gambling house that will take my bet that Miko dies before the trial ends?

Did I actually hear Miss Thing from Homecoming mentioned not once, but twice?  AAAUGH!!!!!  

Overall, a darn good job was done resolving several long-form arcs.  Taye's return was not a mess.  It was actually endearing and ennobling.

• Like 1
(edited)

I also liked Billy's return, that they incorporated his actual words instead of just having people imagine he was there or him giving advice in flashbacks of things we'd conveniently never seen before.  I liked that the first thing they had him say was that baby Jordan reminded him of a melon!  I think the show's official account tried to warn about needing tissues, but the only time it got to me at all was when Laura talked to his picture and he was in the bed with her.

Layla's revelations certainly were very abrupt.  When she was talking with Jordan, I just kept thinking that the superfan woman on Jennifer Hudson Show was probably having a panic attack thinking they'd split, even though it was clear they weren't going that route.  Coach Mac probably thought he had Jordan so snowed that he would just happily return for another season because he said so.  I'll be kind of annoyed if they have Jordan get to the NFL and Spencer suddenly decides he's not into it.  I mean, can't they keep one or two details from what really happened?  Probably not at this point, but it would still bug me.

Tasha being concerned to learn of Deion's panic attacks would have made sense, but it is ridiculous that she wouldn't even try to convince him he could still play football somehow.  She would still be reluctant to let go of the chance for a payday, just maybe not be quite as forceful about it.  Of course they had to make up or else Grace would come home next week and be like, "Who is this kid living in my house?"  At first I thought it would be a longer stay and that this was why Dillon was written out.

I guess the D.A.'s office has to go back to whatever its plan was before Patience was trying to testify, which is likely pretty much nothing.  Maybe they think Miko will be the one to crack on the stand.  I doubt it though, unless they can push off the trial for years and have another time jump so that Coop can finish school, pass the bar and pull a Perry Mason on her.  Last season I was suggesting that Miko kill herself (instead of attacking Patience), but that probably still won't happen.  I hope Patience doesn't end up behind bars, because then they would have another time jump and have Coop defend her!  Also, Patience now has a scar.  I'm confused, even though she should have one.

I think this show and Homecoming still have the same showrunner, though I'm not positive, so they have to remind people that it's coming back with Simone and whoever else they could afford.  I hope there won't be crossovers, but they seem unlikely based on the timelines and that Homecoming won't return until All American has its two "extra" episodes in July.

Edited by KWalkerInc
Forgot to mention Patience's scar.
  • Like 1