Type keyword(s) to search

The Great Lillian Hall - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The HBO film THE GREAT LILLIAN HALL debuts FRIDAY, MAY 31 at 8:00 p.m. ET/PT on HBO and will be available to stream on Max.

Logline: As beloved Broadway star Lillian Hall (Jessica Lange) pours her heart, soul, and time into preparing for her next big role, she finds herself blindsided by confusion and forgetfulness. Battling against all odds to make it to opening night, while holding on to her fading memories and identity, she must navigate a tumultuous emotional journey - balancing her desire for the spotlight and the stark demands of the real world.

Full press release http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2024/05/14/hbo-films-the-great-lillian-hall-debuts-may-31-872412/20240514hbo02/

I enjoyed this movie. I thought Jessica Lange was spectacular, and Lily Rabe was great.  Dementia is a horrible disease and Lange really sold her terror at losing everything.   

Some of the plot points stretched credulity a little, like the producers or director would have brought up wearing an ear piece to Lillian after it was obvious that she was having trouble memorizing lines.  They wouldn't just sit there frustrated and hope for the best.  I'm also pretty sure that if Lillian was required to go to the doctor under the show's insurance, the producers/director would be told what was wrong with her.  Otherwise, what was the point of sending her to the doctor?  I also thought there was absolutely no way Edith would have allowed Lillian to walk to the theater alone on opening night for the exact reason we saw that happened with her.