Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08 Now Is the Winter of Our Discontent

• Start Topic

(edited)

Kim starts new family traditions with the kids for Christmas. Barry and Micah spend the holidays alone. Olivia and Ethan confide in Lydia Grace and CJ that their marriage may have differences they can't overcome.

Zzzz... I finally got around to dragging thru another ep of the season. Bored.

• Kim and the kids get a live tree for the first time they have celebrated X-mas. Wait, what? What kind of turbo Xian family wouldn't celebrate X-mas?  Moriah’s outfit to go Christmas tree shopping was as idiotic and inappropriate as her baptism one. It was a little sad to hear the kids do not understand why Santa says "ho ho ho" or what an ornament is. Surprisingly, Kim grew up celebrating Christmas but she never did that with her kids. Their childhood was deprived of so much, yet she thinks this is a “win”, and by that, she means a way to stick it to Barry. I'm not sure how she can make herself more unlikeable each episode, but somehow, she manages to do it.
  • Meanwhile, the happy couple are celebrating X-mas in Minnesota with Olivia's sister and husband. Olivia, getting your brother-in-law a buttplug as a joke for Christmas screams inappropriate and a serious lack of boundaries. 😲 Ethan the prankster served blueberry chicken pancakes. Olivia's sister plants some seeds of doubt about Olivia and Ethan's marriage.
  • Micah, alone for the holidays in California, decides to go snowboarding but the road is closed until it can be cleared. I noticed that Micah‘s reaction to his siblings celebrating Christmas this year, there was definite hurt behind his eyes. I think he was genuinely glad his younger siblings got to celebrate the holiday, but I also think he feels shortchanged that he didn’t have that experience as a child like they are now. His reaction was very sad to me. I felt like he was holding back tears.
  • Barry and the Sandwich of Sadness ™️ are interrupted by a call from Micah. Barry interviews that he doesn't celebrate X-mas because he doesn't believe Jesus was born on December 25th. It's a symbolic celebration, Barry. 🙄

Edited by Gharlane
  • Sad 1

The Plaths, in their most fundie days, didn't put up a tree for Christmas. They believe it's not a true Christmas tradition, pagan in nature. I doubt they dyed Easter eggs as well. 

The Duggars were also like that for years. Their only concession to Christmas was a huge Happy Birthday Jesus banner. 

• Sad 1
On 3/7/2024 at 2:43 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

The Plaths, in their most fundie days, didn't put up a tree for Christmas. They believe it's not a true Christmas tradition, pagan in nature. I doubt they dyed Easter eggs as well. 

The Duggars were also like that for years. Their only concession to Christmas was a huge Happy Birthday Jesus banner. 

What?! They could have put out a classic 'Jesus is the reason for the season' banner ffs!

On 3/7/2024 at 5:43 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

The Plaths, in their most fundie days, didn't put up a tree for Christmas. They believe it's not a true Christmas tradition, pagan in nature.

I am under the impression they did nothing to acknowledge Christmas. When Barry was eating his lonely sandwich, he said it was tough because everyone around him was doing things but he wasn't.

24 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

I am under the impression they did nothing to acknowledge Christmas. When Barry was eating his lonely sandwich, he said it was tough because everyone around him was doing things but he wasn't.

They probably had family Bible time. And sandwiches. Merry Christmas.🌲

• LOL 1