Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: I Am Balenciaga

• Start Topic

(edited)

“Prestige remains. Fame is brief.”

- Cristóbal Balenciaga

Cristóbal works with his suppliers to produce his own specialized fabrics that allows him to create his iconic dresses. These shapeless dresses are truly a game changer. 💙

B76B57C1-9CFE-49CB-BBE3-2781D85531D1.jpeg

Maison Balenciaga collaborating with Air France to design their flight attendant uniforms comes as a surprise. Cristóbal having a meltdown over deadlines and mass production is funny. There are some harsh feedbacks from the flight attendants re their new uniform - the jacket is too short, the sleeves are uncomfortable and the kangaroo’s front pockets. Cristóbal feels bad about these as creating sleeves is one of his expertise. Obviously prêt-à-porter is not for him.

“I’m sure that, without me, Maison Balenciaga can’t go on. How could others sign with my name?”

Cristóbal Balenciaga

Not knowing how Maison Balenciaga will evolve with time, Cristóbal decides to close it down in 1968. He has been working for 61 years, since he’s 12yo. He has clear conscience about his decision to retire and rest easy. Possibly, the company has been shut down because of his need for control. He just cannot let other people sign with his name. Deep down, he sees himself as an artist.

Overall - this is a beautifully produced series. I have enjoyed it. It feels un-Hollywood as nothing is overly dramatized. The beautiful & iconic dresses are showcased through aesthetically pleasing camerawork and lighting.

Cristóbal Balenciaga may not be a dramatic character but his life story in becoming the king of high fashion is interesting enough as we watch his character unfolds. He’s a visionary artist and a legendary dressmaker. Alberto San Juan does an amazing job in displaying Cristóbal’s vulnerabilities.

Among all the supporting characters, my favorite is Wladzio. He’s played perfectly by Thomas Coumans with nuance, likeability and infectious smile. The iconic characters like Coco Chanel and Christian Dior don’t really leave much impression to me which is good as this isn’t their stories.

Edited by Snazzy Daisy