Type keyword(s) to search

June

• Start Topic

I will definitely check this out; Johnny was a big part of her life, of course, but he normally gets far more attention in any telling of it than he deserves, and it seems from the trailer like this seeks to rectify that (leave it to Dolly to speak the truth -- if you only know June Carter Cash, you're missing a whole lot of things).

On 1/3/2024 at 12:59 PM, Bastet said:

I will definitely check this out; Johnny was a big part of her life, of course, but he normally gets far more attention in any telling of it than he deserves, and it seems from the trailer like this seeks to rectify that (leave it to Dolly to speak the truth -- if you only know June Carter Cash, you're missing a whole lot of things).

Quoting myself to say it indeed succeeds on that front.  I need to re-watch it, as I have a cold and was thus a little fuzzy in the head, but I watched it this weekend and enjoyed it; she is properly given her due.  I liked opening with the process of recording her return album, especially the producer talking about how she shopped it all over Nashville but everyone said no, we're not making a record by a 70-year-old woman, so she opened her own label and rounded up investors.  They used great clips to illustrate what Dolly Parton said -- while June was not the best singer in the Carter family (something June readily acknowledged), she sure was the best entertainer.