Type keyword(s) to search

Principal Flutie: Nice guys get eaten alive

• Start Topic

I don't know how I missed that metaphor after all these years. He was such a good character, much better than Snyder. Flutie and the science teacher who was nice to Buffy were such a surprise. I don't think there are any other TV shows where teaches are that affirming in a genuine way.

Season 1 has so many good life lessons. They really disappeared after Season 1. Even Season 2 dropped the allegory and metaphor in favor of melodrama. The only episode in Season 2 that retains the "Life Lessons" vibe of Season 1 is Ted. The happy ending kinda ruins it, but the first half of Ted is one of my favorite episodes.

But Flutie representing nice guys getting eaten alive is probably the most important lesson from the show. Too bad I didn't realize it when I was younger.

On 12/3/2023 at 11:00 PM, MapleCourt said:

It's a much better lesson than they gave us with Season 5-7 Xander: Nice guys in unskilled labor with no training get promoted to management within 2 years ...

Talk about fantasy!

Two years?  It's less than 6 months!  Xander is nakedly unemployed as late as Primeval, yet he's a supervisor by The Replacement.  No shiny coins needed.

Bob definitely got a raw deal. But that's the kind of woolly-headed liberal thinking that leads to getting eaten, I'm told.

And I think S2 has its metaphor moments. Reptile Boy telling us that college boys who chase high school girls are not suave dudes, but rather roofie-and-rape-driven creeps who worship their penis as if it was a god rather schwings to mind.

Followed by Ethan showing us we should be careful what we wish for, and Bad Eggs telling us that children are soulless parasites that take over our lives.

Not to mention a goodly amount "men are just animals" in 2.15, albeit focused on your not-favorite character.