Type keyword(s) to search

You Were My First Boyfriend

DanaK
  • Start Topic

The HBO Original documentary YOU WERE MY FIRST BOYFRIEND, directed and produced by Cecilia Aldarondo ("Memories of a Penitent Heart," "Landfall") and co-directed by Sarah Enid Hagey, debuts WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 8 at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT on HBO and will be available to stream on Max. The film had its world premiere at the 2023 SXSW Film Festival.

Synopsis: What if you could rewrite your adolescence? In this high school reunion movie turned inside out, filmmaker Aldarondo embarks on a fantastical quest to reconcile her tortured teen years. She revisits some of her most formative - and at times cringeworthy - childhood experiences, tracking down old crushes and reenacting visceral memories of youthful humiliation and desire, at times playing the role of her younger self and casting teenagers to play the kids in her life who still haunt her. Oscillating between present and past, humor and heartbreak, YOU WERE MY FIRST BOYFRIEND is a hybrid documentary that takes seriously the power of adolescence and the way time impacts memories, exploring what it means to grow up and make peace with the drama of our teenage trauma.

Full press release http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2023/10/25/hbo-original-documentary-you-were-my-first-boyfriend-debuts-november-8-826510/20231025hbo01/

Trailer