S45: Kellie Nalbandian

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

From Entertainment Weekly

image.png.56ac404e39674cf4716e9bbee093c64d.png

Name: Kellie Nalbandian
Hometown: Weston, CT  
Current Residence: New York, NY 

3 Words to Describe You: Scrappy, deliberate, intuitive.

Why do you want to be part of Survivor? I started watching the show while working through the COVID pandemic as a nurse in NYC. It was the most difficult thing I've ever done, but it taught me that life is short and can change overnight. So why not go for what you want full tilt? I think that spirit of perseverance and true humanity is woven throughout this game. Plus, I love the adventure [and] competition — and who doesn't want to run extreme adult obstacle courses?  

What's one life experience you feel has prepared you for the game? Definitely being a nurse. I became an EMT at 18. I've worked in the emergency room, now in critical care, and through COVID as a nurse in NYC. These experiences taught me to be rational, perceptive and emotionally intelligent in sustained stress and chaos. Not to mention, doing this on a night shift for 12 hours at a time, often without a break to rest! Nurses are tough — but we're also empathetic, comforting, and vulnerable. That combination will help me greatly in the game.  

Which previous player do you identify with the most? Who do you think you will play most like? I totally relate to Kelley Wentworth's tenacious, scrappy vibe. But I think like Parvati, I have the ability to connect with and draw in lots of different types of people with charm and authenticity but still maintain an independent ruthless mental strategy. I'd also like to draw inspiration from Cirie, as we are both nurses!

What will you value in an alliance partner? I'd like to play with people that I not only trust but also understand their motives. They don't have to be traditionally predictable — I just have to "get" them and vibe with them! And hopefully we can have some fun together!  

Favorite Hobbies: Playing acoustic guitar, watching/playing soccer, and taking board games way too seriously. 

Pet Peeves: Inefficiency and know it alls.

What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? Working through the COVID-19 pandemic as a nurse in NYC — it showed me I have a lot more resilience and grit than I thought! I'm also proud of being my nursing school valedictorian and getting into Yale for grad school. I think people really underestimate nurses' intelligence, but I live to prove people wrong!  

What is something we would never know from looking at you? I am a little nerdy. I love strategy board games and video games.  

Who in your life is your biggest inspiration and why? My fiancé, Gabrielle. She has persevered through difficult times against the odds and became not only successful but through everything, been the most genuine, generous, empathetic, individual who brings everyone together.  

Why will you be the Sole Survivor? My job requires me to be adaptable in the face of constant chaos and change, just like this game! I'm a chameleon, I can bro out with jocks, nerd out with nerds, be besties with the girls. There's no one I can't bond with! I think I will surprise people. At the end of the day, I'm fully prepared to manipulate and blindside my way to final tribal, where I can get votes from my friends on the jury.