Type keyword(s) to search

Hannah Gadsby: Something Special - General Discussion

• Start Topic

They're back, and with something different -- a feel-good special.  I prefer their social commentary, but still very much enjoyed their usual storytelling style about their wife and parents.  Because it's like a romantic comedy presented by someone who hates romantic comedies (as do I generally) -- a story of proposals and wedding planning by someone who finds both utterly ridiculous.  Besides, it's not as if they ignore social issues -- the tale of the wedding cake is about tricking a Christian baker into making a cake for a gay wedding.  This simply has a different focus than either of the first two did (while different from those, it's reminiscent of their comedy sets pre-Nanette); their life doesn't revolve around their struggles, so their comedy doesn't either.  And I agree with their last sentence here, answering a question about choosing not to get into any of the Dave Chappelle stuff:

I’m a genderqueer, autistic, vagina-wielding white person. There could be a really interesting conversation between us, but I don’t think that’s going to happen. I don’t think there’s good faith on his part. He’s done three specials grinding down on the same points without any change in nuance, so I just think he’s on his track. Good on him. That is not my track. And I’m not going to go out of my way to engage with that. And I think there’s something also quite political about a genderqueer performer expressing joy on stage.

Their tales of awkward celebrity encounters after becoming famous are a hoot, and it's sweet to hear how their wife helps them process events in a world where their brain operates differently than most of the people they're interacting with.

Here's the trailer:

And here's (part of) Hannah on proposals, one of my favorite segments of the show:

• Like 1