Type keyword(s) to search

Belle (2022)

Brn2bwild
  • Start Topic

I didn't see a topic for this.  It premiered in Japan in 2021 but did not arrive in the U.S. until January 2022.  Those who love Disney, and especially Beauty and the Beast, might want to check it out.  Currently it is streaming on HBO Max.

Short synopsis: A shy, depressed school girl named Suzu joins the virtual metaverse called the "U," where she is appointed a beautiful avatar that becomes known as Belle.  Belle becomes an international singing sensation, but when one of her performances is interrupted by a user known as "the Beast," she becomes intrigued and sets out to learn his identity.

The film is about profound love and loss, and learning to empathize with people you don't know.  The animation is top notch, and this is the rare Japanese anime where I prefer the dubbed version to the subbed.  The Japanese voice actress for Suzu was moving, but Kylie McNeill's acting left me in tears multiple times. 

I enjoyed the obvious Beauty and the Beast homages, but they did distract a bit from the core of the film, and I don't think the story needed them in order to be effective.  Overall it's not a perfect film, but it is very moving and I highly recommend it.

Edited by Brn2bwild
  • Useful 2