Type keyword(s) to search

Dracula Daily

Cranberry
  • Start Topic

Anyone else doing this? The About Page states:

Bram Stoker’s Dracula is an epistolary novel - it’s made up of letters, diaries, telegrams, newspaper clippings - and every part of it has a date. The whole story happens between May 3 and November 10. So: Dracula Daily will post a newsletter each day that something happens to the characters, in the same timeline that it happens to them.

Now you can read the book via email, in small digestible chunks - as it happens to the characters.

As someone on Tumblr pointed out:

I just want everyone new to Dracula and reading Dracula Daily to note that you are getting to read this novel in a weird and wonderful way that its author absolutely did not intend. This is not a straight serialization of the text. Dates skip around in Dracula as it is written, moving the reader backwards and forwards in time to help shape the specific narrative Bram Stoker wanted to tell. We all will–in fact–be skipping ahead some chapters in a few days to meet another narrator only to skip immediately back to catch up with our collective friend Jonathan Harker.

And I think this is rad! I think it’s amazing to have a bunch of readers who are reading this book–not as Bram Stoker wrote it–but in a way that conforms to the steady march of events within it. This is a unique opportunity in that you guys don’t get to shape your reactions in relation to things you know will happen later. You can’t have your dread or anticipation undercut by future events.

Like all the characters you’re going to meet, you just have to wait for Dracula to act upon you.

It's been a lot of fun, too, with thousands of people reading along, posting fanart and fun memes and the like. Here are a few I enjoyed:

Capture2.PNG.4e074e6ed8c289a0b200e92ce7e6b149.PNG

Capture.PNG.ad1b901c02f5c7d34735378aa1d14807.PNG

4.PNG.07ff80b109b0d181027eb8705a94cd05.PNG

5.PNG.e9b96061285d85d0ce1349e4dcbc8502.PNG

Looks like someone curated a bunch of them in a big Twitter thread starting here!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2