Type keyword(s) to search

Bigbug (2022)

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

large_bigbug-poster.jpg

Available now on Netflix.

This movie by French fabulist Jean-Pierre Jeunet and his regular writing partner Guillaume Laurant ("The City of Lost Children," "Amelie," "A Very Long Engagement") is set in an upper-middle class suburban home in the year 2045 when humanity has delegated most of it's work to robots.. Computers and robots run everything. The humans like it that way, until their technology turns on them. Their friendly AI have decided to lock their humans into their home in order to protect them from a robot uprising.

The look of the film is very retro while dealing with a subject that is thoroughly modern.

Here are two websites that discuss in detail the movie.

All the Robots and Humans Trapped Together in Jean-Pierre Jeunet’s ‘Bigbug’

Bigbug

I enjoyed the movie but was a little worried that I did, because it was fairly weird. 

Here is what I found strange about the movie.

Spoiler

I couldn't understand how people made money because they don't really seem to do anything and they had reached a point where many of them no longer knew anything. Which makes it weird that they knew how to do the things they did. I think they no longer know how to write yet the the secretary was able to use a old timey computer which not only requires you to be able to read and write but also have a knowledge of computers and have that computer still be able to connect of a modern computer network. It was weird at the end that the robots made a mistake and destroyed themselves, but I am surprised that the method that was used to disable a human target would also work on a robotic target.