Type keyword(s) to search

This Is the Night (2021)

EtheltoTillie
  • Start Topic

Netflix movie.  Staten Islanders go bananas about the premiere of Rocky III.   Everyone learns something about themselves.
This may be one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen.  What are Naomi Watts and Bobby Cannavale doing in this piece of junk?  The other actors are good too.  But the writing/plot was atrocious.  First of all, Rocky III was not the big social event of its time, even for "guidos" on Staten Island.  The accents were realistic, I have to give them credit for that.

The plot is like a combination of The Wanderers and The Karate KidIf the main character had an older brother who wanted to be a cross dressing gay man.  Main character earns the wrath of the local "gangs" because they think he dissed Rocky. Violence ensues.  Gay character's mother (Watts) is TOOOOOOO close to son.  Weird. 

ETA:  this movie is apparently also available for paid rental on some channels, so maybe it's not a Netflix movie.  But why would anyone pay for it, as everyone has access to Netflix, even if borrowed.

Edited by GussieK

Adding to my previous post. I hope someone else watches this and comments. It’s supposed to be a movie about the love of movies, but they obviously couldn’t afford any rights to scenes from Rocky III or the Eye of the Tiger song. So you just get people talking about it.  

1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Okay this made me snort, coming after the savaging of the movie in your first post.

Here is what I hope is another laugh. I'll put it in spoiler tags.

Spoiler

The gay characters who dress in drag have absolutely no finesse.  They're all clomping around in high platform shoes like clumsy extras on Bosom Buddies.   That's not what real people who in drag would do.