Type keyword(s) to search

Sisters With Transitors (2020)

Blergh
  • Start Topic

OK, I have to admit that I was fascinated by the mechanics of how electronic and synthesized music came to be and, re the vintage footage and interviews, I definitely give this docu an A for effort. Yes, I liked it a great deal when, Clara Reisenberg Rockmore,  Daphne Oram, Delia Derbyshire , Eliane Radigue and Bebe Barron explained how these new inventions were created and how the notes created were used to make something different. Yes, I've always been a fan of 'how it works' footage! 

However, IMO, virtually the only pioneer performer they celebrated whose music was actually appealing to me on a consistent basis was Clara Reisenberg Rockmore (1911-1998) but she alone had the goal to use  electronics to take classical music to new heights rather than attempting to use it to totally reinvent the concept of music.   Alas, IMUO, it averaged out to a D in appeal (  thanks  mostly to Mrs. Rockmore's efforts which  IMO saved it from being a total F while most of  the others just producing squeaks and squawks they tried to insist was music ).

Hence, I give it a B Minus.  

BTW, If one wants to get more insight into Mrs. Rockmore's work and pioneering efforts, check out Theremin: An Electronic Odyssey (1993) which also has extensive interviews with other afficionados of that instrument- as well as Leon Theremin (1896-1993) himself getting interviewed (though one can't help but question the validity of many of his claims).