Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Our Pioneer Stories

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Comparison topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Wasn't sure where to put this (if anywhere at all). 

Anyone else think that the Yellowstone 6666 spinoff will kill the franchise? I like Yellow and 1883 but from what I have seen in the 6666 eps of Yellowstone, it lacks interesting characters and the lush setting of Yellowstone. 

I hope it was ok to post that here, it kind of crosses over a little but is mostly speculation about 6666.

• Love 1

@LadyIrony, the small talk area is for things that would be off-topic in a normal post. Chit-chat of the personal variety. 🙂 

I've created a topic for general discussion of the Yellowstone universe. Feel free to repost your 6666 thoughts there.

7. Ordinary citizens were unable to borrow money to buy land in Germany until after 1850.

8. Farms became so small that they were unable to sustain families.

10. Industrialization wiped out home industries such as spinning, weaving, etc.

11. Young men were compelled to serve in the German army. Many emigrated illegally to escape this mandate.

15. Gottfried Duden’s book on his life in Missouri.

Now granted, our story begins 30 years after the story unfolding on our screens, however, to back up the points above:

On #7 and #8 my mom always said of her grandparents, working class Germans didn't measure wealth by possessions or money in the bank. Wealth was measured by the amount of land you owned outright, and my great grandparents were prolific farmers. Nothing was ever bought "on time" as they put it. They saved every penny and paid cash. Fun Fact: my great-grandparents owned the contiguous farmland that makes up Burpee Seed in Warminster, Pennsylvania today. #10 my grandmother was a forewoman in a hosiery mill in Northeast Philadelphia. #11 same with the Third Reich. #15 The first time my great grandparents left Germany, they were escaping World War I and emigrated to St. Louis, Missouri. They later moved to Philadelphia shortly after the war ended. Interestingly enough they were Catholic and went to St. Boniface. Additional family members from both my grandmother and grandfather's (also a real German) sides joined them in Philadelphia ahead of World War II (#11). I don't know if their emigration was legal or illegal, but I know my mom has said you were either with them or you got out (fast). There wasn't a choice in the matter. So they got out.

We do still have relatives in Germany and I have my grandmother's 1920s hand crocheted rectangular bridal veil. They were really big on handwork and she made all of her own clothing and later so did my mom. I know the exact street addresses of their homes in Philadelphia. It's heartbreaking what that city has become, but that's a discussion for another place and time. For some reason I don't think my grandmother knew how to swim.

Edited by RedDelicious
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1