Type keyword(s) to search

Assembly Required - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Assembly Required spotlights the best and brightest builders from across the country, at their home workshops, as they compete to breathe new life into everyday household items in desperate need of fixing. This new series will push each contestant to their limits while testing their ability and ingenuity to not only rebuild it but to build it better. In each episode, hosts Tim Allen (Home Improvement, Last Man Standing) and Richard Karn (Home Improvement) will also dive into the unique history around these items to celebrate the men and women who crafted them, and the techniques used.

(edited)

I'm watching this show, too. I was so excited to see this idea in the promos. It's like Tool Time for real. 

I like their ideas of reinventing things but I don't like some of the items they've done. Like that barcalousy on a mower. I agree that it wasn't anything really useable. When the show is over it gets taken to the dumpster or stripped for viable parts. I'm hoping as the show goes on they will get into a groove and find more steady footing with their build ideas. I want this show to do well since I like both Tim and Richard.

I'm glad they chose April to be on the show. She's got some useful hacks that I might actually use. (I had never heard of putting sandpaper on a tube to help smooth out circular areas. I'm not a carpenter but sometimes I have to fix something.)

I'm very surprised that the winner gets only $5K. As much as "hey Google...." is heard on this show, Google should be chipping in some prize money. Even the lesser known baking competitions give the winning team $10K.

In the episode with the treadmills, when they introduced the competitors they all seemed way overqualified for this competition. The guy in Waco who restores old houses and does that for a living. I was wondering why he'd want to do this show in the first place since $5K doesn't sound like much. In any case, I hope he got something out of doing the show, at least free advertising. 

I liked the first episode where the guy made a dragon flame thrower. He was very creative, thinking out of the box to make a dragon exterior. Probably more of what Tim and the producers were thinking with the "more power" theme. 

I laughed when the guy said he was using redneck chrome aka duct tape. I hadn't heard that one. 

Edited by TexasTiffany
  • Love 1

I've watched every episode a couple of times, too. I looked for a topic for this show early on but tried again last night and found it.

Regarding the jacuzzi episode - Neither unit was useable really. I didn't like the partial lawn chair in hers but with that flame burner underneath you'd have to use it to keep from being burned. His looked clean, but not comfortable.

The episode with the carts - I liked that the guy used wood to frame his and put Wilson on it. Nice shout-out to the character on HI. His cart steered easily. The other guy's was so much harder to use with that hand held device. 

• Love 1

Wow. The episode tonight actually has a rocket scientist. Too bad he didn't think to charge his battery. I really wasn't expecting that to happen. 

I do like that people of different backgrounds and education can compete on this show. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't know how I feel about one of the competitors using a 3D printer.  It seems like an unfair advantage.  Let the printer make parts while he goes off and does other things.  That is a huge advantage over someone who doesn't have access to a 3D printer.  I think this series would be better if they all had the same inventory of tools and parts, in addition to the big box of components that each contestant is sent.

The car washing system builds were a heckuva lot more useful than the builds on all of the previous episodes.

I see your point. I raised an eyebrow when they said 3D printer, too. I'm assuming the arrangement of contestants in their own home is due to covid cautions. If there is a season 2 and we can all go back to a more normal life, they might consider evening the playing field by filming and competing in a studio build shop. Everyone would have access to the same equipment. Then again, it's interesting watching them in their home surroundings. It shows their personalities which this show needs. 

ITA about the car wash system they built being the most useable of all the challenges. Everyone can use that at home. I wonder what order the episodes were filmed and in what order it was shown to viewers. I thought the first episode broadcast (dragon flame thrower) b/c it had the "this needs more power" phrase which is Tim's shtick. Some episodes have dramatic challenges. Maybe the producers thought the car wash build was dull.

At the end, April says the winner also gets an iFixit Tool Kit. Don't the contestants already have way better tools and equipment at home? Here you go, a starter tool kit for your home shop with the 3D printer. 

• Love 1

At first I thought the street sweeper build would be asking too much from the contestants. As it worked out though, the builds weren't all that efficient. Just get the motor to spin these and turn those.

ITA the conveyor belt was noisy. Not that good either when the slightest breeze redistributes the leaves and debris back onto the ground you are trying to clear. 

The build that resembled a racing pod from Star Wars ended up looking cool but it had me shaking my head when they guy cut up his riding lawn mower for this. He probably thought he was definitely going to win so he'd buy a new one. (I did find it funny when one of the ads during the show was for a riding lawn mower.)

I thought more people would find this forum. This makes me wonder if the ratings aren't good. I'm still hoping this show will turn into something even better and find its stride. 

Edited by TexasTiffany
  • Love 1

I really enjoyed the build-a-mobile-tool-shop episode tonight. 

First off, I liked the first challenge of building a flashlight that can withstand a drop from 5 feet. Straightforward and sounds simple. The contestants seem like nice guys that you want to see do their best. Then, rut-roh, I felt bad for the guy who got hurt. I hope he's okay. Too bad that his wires didn't connect. It was adding insult to injury. This show needs to invite back some of these people for a second chance build. 

I usually don't like butt jokes, but I giggled at how far Adam went in figuring out what size seat to build for Tim Allen to be comfortable. Tim couldn't contain himself either. Might be the best use of google so far.

How odd that Josh decided to take a nap when he could be working.

Adam did have a really nice build. Good for him. 

I think this was the season finale episode. Richard has found his footing and handles himself well with the contestants and presenting the tasks. Tim sometimes loses focus but I think he and Richard are coming together better. They were lucky to find April on Youtube, she's really good.

They need a season two. 

Edited by TexasTiffany
  • Love 1