Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: The Tides That Bind

Season 2 really is the season of terrible pun titles.

This episode isn't "Roots," but that's damning with faint praise. I feel like there are a lot of good ideas in this one -- an extended family that's reworked its entire existence around its Trouble, someone who committed a "mundane" and deliberate crime but can't be prosecuted because of his Trouble, the questions of the Rev's motivation -- and they're all thrown together in a dull and muddled jumble. They literally forget about the murder from the first act until the last scene, and all the stuff with the Rev and Penny

never comes up again and has no bearing on anything the Rev does in the future

. The only thing in this episode that really perks up my ears -- and which I didn't notice until this go-'round -- is the line where Penny says that the Rev got worse when they came to Haven. If he's not local, where is he from originally? And did someone bring him here with a purpose?

Perhaps she met him in college and they moved to Haven after they married and/or had Hannah?

It always bothered me that she lived on the outskirts of town and that her own daughter never even knew. I understand if her jackass husband didn't, but it's pretty cruel to your child.

I think this episode makes a nice bottle episode. Nothing significant happens (Lucy picture notwithstanding), and I can sit through it without wanting to fast forward anything. I like the melodramatic ending too.

If he's not local, where is he from originally? And did someone bring him here with a purpose?

In the episode Crush season 4,

we meet the Rev's nephews, and apparently the Driscolls are long time citizens of Haven who are not Troubled, until that episode. That was new information and perhaps there is some significance to why the Driscolls were not affected by the Troubles at all. It seems the Drsicolls were originally from Haven and the Rev moved there as an adult with his wife.Maybe there is some purpose to him being there, similar to when Simon Crokcer insisted that Duke move back to Haven

None of the characters were particularly likeable in this episode, didn't feel any empathy for the Glendowers, what Penny did, abandoning her daughter was bad and the way they waved off the murder at the end sucked.

I did enjoy two scenes though 1st Duke and Evi about the Rev religious cryptic no jackass cryptic and 2nd the whole scene with Duke, Nathan and Audrey at the church where Audrey has to reign in 'her boys'. Otherwise promising episode which didn't really deliver.

It always bothered me that she lived on the outskirts of town and that her own daughter never even knew. I understand if her jackass husband didn't, but it's pretty cruel to your child.

I am of two minds about that one. On the one hand, you're right that it's unfair to Hannah that her mother disappeared. (And really, Penny, you think your husand is so dangerous you have to fake your death to escape him, but you don't take your child with you? I'm side-eyeing you hard for that one.) On the other, given how firmly the Rev had Hannah under his thumb there may have been no safe way to contact her without him finding out.

I did enjoy two scenes though 1st Duke and Evi about the Rev religious cryptic no jackass cryptic and 2nd the whole scene with Duke, Nathan and Audrey at the church where Audrey has to reign in 'her boys'.

Gotta agree with you on those two. Smartassed Duke is always welcome, as are the petty squabbles between him and Nathan. I've got a story I'm working on right now where I occasionally worry that I'm overdoing the Audrey-as-mediator bit, but then I look at canon and go, "No, that's pretty much how this works."

I actually rather like this one, but I think it's mostly for the mood and atmospherics. That whole bit at the end when the people are going into the water and Enya is singing and Nathan and Audrey are sitting on the rocks and watching really gets me. It's beautifully shot and the music is perfect. I also like that the actual crime really has nothing to do with a Trouble or the Troubles, and the Rev gets to be human.

Duke really is the most gullible con man ever if he fell for that list of people murdered by the Troubled. If the Rev had proof of people being killed by the Troubled, he'd be driving through the streets of town, shouting it from a bullhorn, not keeping it locked up in a secret compartment in his office.

Unfortunately, the nature of the Trouble is really undermined later by timeline wonkiness.

According to what's later revealed, the Troubles are almost over -- maybe four months away at that point -- and a lot of Troubled people in the Guard seemed to know about the connection between the meteor storm and the end of the Troubles. So their terrible affliction is hitting them several years into the Troubles and just a few months before they end, which hardly seems worth all the drama.