Type keyword(s) to search

Black Bear (2020)

Cranberry
  • Start Topic

A filmmaker at a creative impasse seeks solace from her tumultuous past at a rural retreat, only to find that the woods summon her inner demons in intense and surprising ways.

Review: In ‘Black Bear,’ Aubrey Plaza excels in the role of her life

The above is a non-spoilery review for a reportedly trippy, excellent movie. I've been waiting for it since a YouTuber I follow saw it at a film festival and loved it. In "select theaters" and on demand starting this Friday, December 4. 

I liked it! Aubrey Plaza was indeed amazing -- she was so good in the breakdown scenes that it was almost hard to watch.

As the movie was nearing its end, I kept wishing it were longer/had more parts. I wasn't ready for it to end.

Getting into the spoilers -- the director has said that he deliberately left the ending somewhat open to interpretation. In an A.V. Club video interview, he said, "Basically, she's just on the dock having flashes of the two films, and then she goes back to write them. And you're left to wonder what connection they have to her real life, if any."

Personally, I like the interpretation that she basically lived part two, as a "difficult" actress with a manipulative director husband, then became a filmmaker and wrote part one.