Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: For the Triumph of Evil

Another soldier in the army of evil, the Sandman, seeps into the dreams of the residents of Sleepy Hollow. By infiltrating their minds at night, he tortures them to the brink - all because they, at one time, turned a blind eye to justice. When the Sandman seemingly sets his sights on Abbie, she is forced to begin to face her past - and her institutionalized sister Jenny. With Ichabod by her side, and her life at stake, the duo must try to defeat the Sandman and continue their fight against evil.

I like the element of ambiguity that this episode brought to the "good vs. evil" fight.  Obviously, Ro'kenhronteys (thanks, Sleepy Hollow wiki!) was Abbie's enemy.  He came very close to killing her and winning a victory for Team Moloch.  On the other hand, this crisis facilitated the reconciliation of Abbie and Jenny, which led to Team Witness gaining an ally and access to resources at the lake house; one could even argue that it was foretold by Ghost!Corbin ("Don't be afraid of #49").  So, for me at least, it's up in the air whether the "Sandman" was a demon sent by Moloch, a test/opportunity sent by God, or a wildcard with his own agenda.  I'm not sure if the ambiguity was intentional (the show may have been going for straight-up baddie of the week), but I'll take it and appreciate it all the same.

I like that it focused on Abbie so early in the series, even a shortened series. And she wasn't completely wrong or weak. She was just human. I empathized with both sisters. I also appreciate how the crisis was used to further the bond between Ichabod and Abbie. And boy was Sandman creepy.

Scorpions in NY? Really? That took me out of the episode a bit. Because...no.