Type keyword(s) to search

Word of Mouth: Sex Education in the Media

• Start Topic

This is from back in October, but I just came across it referenced within another article:  Asexual activist Yasmin Benoit was brought on board as a consultant in developing the character of O, and found herself disappointed "some important moments were cut out or changed", resulting in an under-developed character the audience generally disliked.  Here's part of her interview with PinkNews:

While Benoit “doubts there was any malicious intent” on behalf of the production team who made the final edits, she is all too aware of the potential consequences for asexuals.

“I don’t really blame anyone in particular, I think that’s just how TV shows go,” she continues.

“But when you have literally the only asexual woman of colour on television and it is a really big moment for the community, you do have to be a lot more careful when you’re representing something which is essentially half of the representation we have.”

Especially in a major series such as Sex Education, poorly executed representation has the power to reinforce stereotypes and shape negative views.

“[Portraying O as] the mean and unlikable one is not only reinforcing that asexuals are inherently callous and don’t connect with people, but it’s also pretty harmful to the ace minority that finally get to see themselves in something and then see the [terrible] reception,” Benoit says.

Most disappointing for Benoit is that she had entered the writing room with the key intention of avoiding this kind of portrayal and fallout.

“I’ve always said from the beginning, whatever we do, we’ve got to make sure she does not come across as the villain, we’re not doing the evil, asexual stereotype,” she notes.

“And then accidentally, that’s what ended up happening.”

Edited by Bastet
  • Sad 2