Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: A Day in the Death

A victim of his newfound circumstances, Owen Harper believes he needs absolution. Will the lonely girl on the rooftop help him, or will it be a mission to the retrieve an alien device that is proving more lethal by the second? And how far will Toshiko go to help him?

Maggie: Okay, you're dead. That's clearly a bit shit and I'm sorry and everything, but if you are dead then why are you here? You can't be wanting to jump. You can't die twice.

Owen: Sorry, are you an expert?

Maggie: Sorry, are you an idiot?

• Love 1

Well this is the end of the Owen mini arc and i think it rounded it off very well. It has Richard Briers can't beat that LOL. I was so drawn into Maggie story, just horrific. There really is nothing to say to a story like that but hope that she can find a light in the darkness to quote the ep even though Indeed does a much better job at it.

I loved the Tin Tin bits and Ianto face at Owen saying he thinks he used to shag the dog LOL OMG LOL. I really liked Jack in this as well , JB did a great job having to be the boss yet desperate to help Owen and it was all in his eyes. Strangely i wasn't into Owen or his pain until he says " I'm broken Tosh" then BG really it the right note for me, otherwise it can be a bit Owen is chucking another tantrum. Much like Gwen to be honest too many tantrums i sorta turn off the why they are chucking one this time.

The oddest part and once again cheers to JB for the face he makes,  is Martha kissing Jack. It's like Jack is a fair ground ride or something just sooooooooooo DW attitude to Jack not really being a person but just one big fun ball no matter what is happening to Jack himself. But it also made no sense as far as i know out of the three other people standing there with Jack and Martha only one has snogged Jack (Ianto) so what is Martha going on about ? And it didn't fit at all with the rest of the show, like it was a drop in scene or whatever, just WTF. very weird.

The oddest part and once again cheers to JB for the face he makes,  is Martha kissing Jack. It's like Jack is a fair ground ride or something just sooooooooooo DW attitude to Jack not really being a person but just one big fun ball no matter what is happening to Jack himself. But it also made no sense as far as i know out of the three other people standing there with Jack and Martha only one has snogged Jack (Ianto) so what is Martha going on about ? And it didn't fit at all with the rest of the show, like it was a drop in scene or whatever, just WTF. very weird.

Lol! Yeah. I didn't get that either. Even on Doctor Who despite his reputation she didn't exactly see him kissing a bunch of people and she has a conversation with Gwen where Gwen admits nothing's happened between her and Jack and there's no indication she believes he's fooled around with either Tosh or Owen so her assertion makes no sense. I'm sure, despite J.B's weird face and the awkward kiss, Jack wouldn't actually mind kissing Martha, but the way they frame it is so dumb. But I suppose that ties in with the idea that because Ianto is in a relationship with Jack that means everyone, including relative strangers to him, feel entitled to know the intimate details of his sex life.

. I'm sure, despite J.B's weird face and the awkward kiss, Jack wouldn't actually mind kissing Martha, but the way they frame it is so dumb. But I suppose that ties in with the idea that because Ianto is in a relationship with Jack that means everyone, including relative strangers to him, feel entitled to know the intimate details of his sex life.

My thoughts are quite opposite to that Swansong. Jack will flirts his arse off and make you think that he would be cool for anyone or anything but he is actually very selective otherwise he would have ready done Gwen ,Owen and Tosh. But he has a different relationship with them just like Martha. Jack and Martha bonded over not just TYTNW but more their love for the Doctor and the Doctor not being interested. I see them as friends/family , the elite companions group but not sexually between them.

And their relationship is why i think Martha was asking and Ianto answering about his sex life. Martha was someone who loved Jack and Jack loved but it was family/friendship love , so Ianto felt more comfortable not completely cause he is taken aback at first, but connected to Martha. And i think it's the same reason Ianto isn't jealous of Martha.. Martha has heard all about Jack's reputation from the Doctor but nothing like that was going on during their time together and here she got the chance to ask, just being a normal sticky beak LOL. And Jack opened up the door, by telling her about Ianto in a very Jack way.

The scene reminded me of the DW ones when the Doctor automatically chastises Jack for saying "hello" regardless of the circumstances. Like i said Jack is just some fair ground ride rather than being a person.

And their relationship is why i think Martha was asking and Ianto answering about his sex life. Martha was someone who loved Jack and Jack loved but it was family/friendship love , so Ianto felt more comfortable not completely cause he is taken aback at first, but connected to Martha. And i think it's the same reason Ianto isn't jealous of Martha.. Martha has heard all about Jack's reputation from the Doctor but nothing like that was going on during their time together and here she got the chance to ask, just being a normal sticky beak LOL. And Jack opened up the door, by telling her about Ianto in a very Jack way.

Martha's close relationship is with Jack, not Ianto. But he's not the one she's quizzing. The fact that she's close to Jack doesn't mean she automatically has the same relationship with Ianto. He's a stranger to her. The only reason we're not supposed to find it weird or presumptuous that she would feel entitled to quiz him on his sex life with Jack the moment she meets him is because Jack is often treated as fair game and so presumably if you're involved with him you apparently forfeit the right to keep your sex life private even from relative strangers also. The kiss seems to happen on the same basis. Jack sleeps with everyone and everything therefore if you want to snog him he's fair game. So she snogs him because everyone else has even though in this instance her logic is faulty because the 'everyone' is really only Ianto. If I'm supposed to be ok with the fact that she feels entitled to quiz Ianto about his sex life two minutes after meeting him I can't really find the energy to get bent out of shape that she feels entitled to snog Jack because she's 'curious'. At least they have an actual relationship and while I don't necessarily think Jack thinks of her in that way, I don't think he'd mind kissing her either.  I find the moment weird because of the way it's framed and because of JB's lol reaction, but it's kind of par for the course with Torchwood. I don't think Ianto's lack of jealousy with Martha has anything to do with her friendship with Jack. It's because for reasons that don't make any sense to me he's never jealous of any of the women in Jack's life no matter how he acts with them or how physically close they are to him. Just the men no matter how distant they are from Jack and how zero of a threat they are to his relationship. I'm glad he isn't jealous, but I don't think it says anything specific about his relationship with Martha and how he views her.

Like i mentioned quite opposite in our views Swansong. To me it's just ianto is more at ease with Martha because of her relationship with Jack and Martha is just being a sticky beak into her friends life. I mean she is asking about Jack, you can't really ask Jack are you as good as your rep ? Of course he will answer something like better than that LOL. And since Jack opened the door about himself and Ianto, Martha didn't feel any qualms about asking. And Ianto isn't 100% comfortable about answering, it's only when he gets lost in his own memories that he is LOL

But you do raise an interesting question about Ianto non jealously over women which i will put in the Jack & Ianto topic. And Jack and women in Jack's topic, cause to be honest i'm struggling.

Edited by itsmeyousee