Type keyword(s) to search

Blood and Ice Cream trilogy (2004-13)

• Start Topic

Shaun of the Dead (2004)

Hott Fuzz (2007)

World's End (2013)

Ostensibly I wanted to talk about Hot Fuzz, and a new discovery; but might as well bring all 3 films into one thread, as I love both the first 2, and quite like the 3rd.

Now I must have watched Shaun and Fuzz a few dozen times each; and last night, watching whilst half-asleep, I noticed yet another new thing, on which I'm probably way, way behind the times on. The character names...

I've noticed various things over time; from the obvious to the less obvious. Even with the PIStaker bit specifically telling me to pay attention to the names, I never really had.

The obvious being that all the residents are named after an occupation; and some obvious foreshadowing in some names (the good-guy is Angel; the strong-guy is Armstrong, Merchant made his fortune selling stuff - to the disgust of the manager of an established shop...).

A few years ago, I noticed that the Andies are basically the same person by surname as well as christian name, persona and appearance (Cartwright and Wainwright); but last night I noticed that many of the residence also have these foreshadowing or secondary meanings for the individual (some of these may be stretching):

Leslie Tiller - who tends the soil

Tony Fisher - who's always fishing for advice

Desk Sergeants Turner - who take turns

Simon Skinner - who's comments cut close to the bone, and reveal the sub-plots

Tom Weaver - weaves the NWA together

Dr. Hatcher - is present at the birth of most residents under 40 years old

James Reaper - is the farmer who both sows and reaps crops

Tim Messenger - the Journalist

Martin Blower - is full of hot air

Eve Draper - lifts the curtains from the planning department

Arthur Webley - the provider of arms and armaments