Type keyword(s) to search

Tiny House Hunters: Same Tiny Host, Same Tiny Channel!

So they ran a 4-episode group of these after Tiny House Nation last night. I recorded all 4 but I've only watched the one up in the Tetons at Jackson Hole.  Since this series has been name dropped in the other discussions here, I thought I'd start a thread.

It's basically the same fake format as House Hunters, where a couple pretends to choose between the house they've already bought and 2 ringers in more or less the same price range. Except in this case, the 2 ringers are basically the same house but with different finishes. They pretend to take 3 days to view the 3 properties, which are all standing right next to each other and consist in total of 1200 square feet. Combined. Yep, no way could they simply spend 10 minutes touring all 3 houses at once.

In the end, the couple spends over $310,000 on a 400 square foot tiny home, slightly north of $775 per square foot. I bet they're also paying association fees on top of that plus some hefty property taxes. And they have nowhere to store their bikes in the middle of winter, even with a home that has 4-inches of insulation for winter proofing and recycled exteriors. To get a sense of proportion, Manhattan real estate can go upwards of $1363 a square foot. Cheyenne runs closer to $110 and Grand Junction about $133.

The house itself was ridiculously wasteful in terms of space utility. Although they gave us the standard tiny lines about "everything must serve more than one purpose", very little in the house actually did. Plus there was no clever carpentry which is honestly the only reason I keep watching Tiny House Nation. It was if they took the *one* magic thing away but kept all the same droning on about responsible development elements otherwise. I'm going to give at least one more episode a try.

• Love 1

I made a tiny houses topic in the genre forum, since there are so many.
I'd made it for all but TH Nation, but then someone also made one in the House Hunters file for Tiny HHs.
The show on FYI is Tiny House Hunting.  I think there's still another show too.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 1