Type keyword(s) to search

Suzume / すずめの戸締まり / Suzume no Tojimari (2022)

• Start Topic

Why did I chose the trailer with german subtitles above? As far as I can tell, it doesn't exist in english. The english trailer that does exist is way worse and spoils basically the entire movie.

This trailer does exist in french and spanish, but there the subtitles are a lot more obstrusive and the kick at the beginning is preemted by film association logos. I could have chosen the original japanese version of the trailer, but there the song text is all over the right side of the screen in japanese, so even more obstrusive and japanese subs probably wouldn't have helped anybody.

The subs are only the song lyrics and one sentence spoken by Suzume at the end: "When I wandered into that place, I found a heaven in which all of time had become one."

Spanish version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rPPppw6Bhk

French version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KD4DQ0ABvI

Japanese version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7nQ0VUAOXg

(edited)

I probably didn't see this movie under the best of circumstances. Since there is no theater in my town, I thought I'd make a day of it and watch two movies. So I watched Dungeons and Dragons first and Suzume afterwards. While I have done something like this before without problem, it probably wasn't the best idea to have the second film be one with subtitles. You should really only go into subtitled films when you are fresh. I didn't even have a break. It was out of one film into the other. Also the subtitles weren't great. They were white with black borders, which is good in principle, but the black borders were maybe one pixel thick and so you could barely read them when they were on a light background. Furthermore the theater was packed and got pretty hot towards the end (unlike Dungeons and Dragons, which was basically empty).

That being said, even under those circumstances I enjoyed this film quite a bit. Your Name is one of my favourite movies of all time, but Weathering with You bored the crap out of me. So I consider this a return to form for Makoto Shinkai. It's not as good as Your Name, but that is a perfect movie, you probably only make once in your career.

As always the visuals are stunning and this time the story is intriguing and captivating again. So I'd highly recommend going to see this one! (although maybe not the english dub, from what I've seen in trailers)

Edited by PurpleTentacle