Type keyword(s) to search

S01E05: Why Are You Lying?

• Start Topic

Zoe planning the escape made me think that maybe this ep was going to link up with the intro to ep 1 (although it occurred to me perhaps that Hannah is older than this Hannah). Since Zoe and Sam were still alive in Midwich at that [still future] point, any suspense that the children were going to kill or disfigure them at this point was thoroughly undercut. Also why would they attack Sam with weed killer if Zoe is the threat?

I was disappointed that Zoe's expose appeared to blame the children and not the government for the control they are under.

I was very confused when Paul accused Bryony of having killed someone. Am I supposed to understand that actually the government killed Amrita to prevent her from exposing the situation?

It felt like they glossed over the aspect of Susannah's secret that had made Cassie accuse her of being a danger to children. Susannah admitted she had been unable to cope and had given Cassie to foster parents until she was well enough to manage and knew she didn't want to give her up permanently. Susannah giving her baby up feels entirely different from doing something that made them take her baby away.

The children apparently not only share a consciousness but also have the ability to read other people's thoughts somehow. I don't really like the mushiness of the children's powers not having a boundary. Nathan forcing Jodi to tear out her nose ring because he knew Paul didn't like it was very unpleasant. I was also trying to figure out whether the mothers' conversation at the picnic was supposed to be indicative of their characters or, more sinisterly, showing them trying to avoid disapproval and punishment from the children.