Type keyword(s) to search

S01E04: Hide and Seek

• Start Topic

I really thought that Evie was going to manage to get Susannah killed by the train. And I wonder what Susannah could have done that makes her a danger to children while also not causing her to lose her license to practice. Her attempts to pry into the question of the children's minds (knowing that they all know what the others know!) seemed weirdly misguided.

The children seem to be very malicious. Last episode they killed Tilly even though earlier it seemed clear that they could hold her at bay. Nothing was shown that suggested the dog had actually harmed any of them or come close to it. And Hannah forced Zoe to scald her hand because Zoe suspected the children had caused the dog's death.

In addition to Evie apparently trying to kill Susannah, Joe and Nathan injured not only Curtis to punish him for favouring his biological son and generally being a jerk but also the biological son David who is just a little kid. Hannah forced Zoe to bang her head to punish her for forcing her to go back to her own bed, and later forces Sam and Curtis to fight because Curtis is a jerk and Sam didn't stick up for her when she vandalized Curtis' car. We also find out that they seem to be traumatized by Amrita's death and feel physically cold thinking about it. That seems inconvenient for remorseless vindictive killing machines, hard to say why they chose to depict them this way. Why couldn't they have just let Amrita leave without Sunny?

I was glad they spent some time on Zoe and Sam's feelings and his realization that Hannah was hurting Zoe, but it felt inartistic that Zoe and Sam and Paul and Jodie would get romantic at the same time. (Also I worried about Zoe and Sam's bruised faces.)

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
proofreading