Type keyword(s) to search

Outlander In The Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

On 3/5/2022 at 7:18 PM, WatchrTina said:

Caitriona posted a video on Twitter of her chowing down on a Reuben sandwich (apparently Jimmy Kimmel encouraged her to try one because she says "Thank you Jimmy") and NOW I am craving a Reuben sandwich so much it hurts.  And since I now live in Texas and not NYC, that is a craving that is going to go unsatisfied.  Sigh.  That corner deli that was mere steps away from my old NYC apartment building . . . I am SO missing it now.

Caitriona was on Jimmy Kimmel the day before and told Jimmy that Irish people did not eat corn beef and cabbage and didn't even know what that was so Jimmy sent her a corn beef sandwich so she could try it. The next day Jamie Dornan was on with Jimmy and told him the same thing about corn beef with cabbage that Caitriona had told him.

Sam did an interview with his "frenemy", Josh Horowitz at the 92 Street YMCA in NYC.  (I think it's clear that Josh and Sam are actually good friends in real life and they just play enemies online).  It was very entertaining.  It took place mere days before Season 6 started airing so they carefully avoid any Season 6 spoilers.  I'll put the link below but first here are a few highlights.

• Next season (7) has 16 episodes!  Did y'all know that?  If I ever knew that I had forgotten it.  What wonderful news!
  • Sam is writing a book (with the help of a co-writer).  He said he's doing it "for myself" and that it is "a sort of biography-meets-an-adventure that I undertook at the end of October last year."
  • Sam talked about the new season of "Men in Kilts" (his travel/adventure show with Graham McTavish) in which they go to New Zealand (which, of course, Graham has fond memories of due to his work on the trilogy of Hobbit movies.)  And now I have to figure how (if) we can see that in the USA.  
  • They mentioned that an Outlander prequel series is in development and I think I've heard about that before but nothing about that topic stuck in my mind so I was excited to be reminded of that.

So anyhow, here's the link to the interview.  Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS0mrtaHdLE

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

Double-posting to share what I've learned about Season 2 of "Men in Kilts" (Sam and Graham's travel show) from an article in Parade magazine (link below.)

in a March 2022 sitdown with Forbes, Heughan elaborated more on what Men in Kilts Season 2 will show the fans. “We were exploring the culture of New Zealand, the Scottish heritage… the connection there with the immigrants,” he explained. “And then, we were looking at the food and drink, we’re looking at the activities you can do. It’s very much an outdoors country, the wildlife. And of course, lots of torturing Graham.”

Here's the link to the article:

https://parade.com/1301943/tinadonvito/men-in-kilts-season-2-sam-heughan/

It seems clear that "Men in Kilts" will not air at the same time that  "Outlander" is releasing new episodes.  They'll save it to use it as a promotional tool in the gap between Outlander seasons. (Think of it as a light refreshment during the upcoming "Droughtlander.")

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, WatchrTina said:
  • They mentioned that an Outlander prequel series is in development and I think I've heard about that before but nothing about that topic stuck in my mind so I was excited to be reminded of that.

Interesting!  I hadn't heard, but this article from February talks about it: https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/outlander-prequel-series-starz-1235185922/  . Too bad it's not the Lord John spinoff, though...

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Glade said:

Interesting!  I hadn't heard, but this article from February talks about it: https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/outlander-prequel-series-starz-1235185922/  . Too bad it's not the Lord John spinoff, though...

I swore off a LJ spinoff but then David Berry answered “no comment” in a recent interview with Entertainment Weekly about a spinoff and now I’m hopeful again.  No comment in these cases usually means something is in the works.  We’ll see.  

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

What would a prequel even be about?  Jamie's father and mother?

Yes.  DG is writing a prequel on Ellen and Brian.  Sadly, nothing on Claire's family because we don't need to know how she inherited the ability to time travel or anything like that.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, SassAndSnacks said:

Yes.  DG is writing a prequel on Ellen and Brian.  Sadly, nothing on Claire's family because we don't need to know how she inherited the ability to time travel or anything like that.  

Well count me out, because one, Ellen died so young. What's the point?

Here's a link to the TVLine review of episode S6.E6, The World Turned Upside Down.

https://tvline.com/2022/04/10/outlander-recap-season-6-episode-6-the-world-turned-upside-down/

which includes the following, delightful quote:

Malva is pregnant, Tom announces, and she won’t say who the father is unless Jamie is in attendance. So Jamie kindly, though in pretty baffled fashion, asks her what’s up. “You know the truth as well as I do!” she shouts, crying, as she says the babe inside her was fathered by none other than James Alexander Malcom MacKenzie Fraser, the First of His Name, MacDubh of Ardsmuir Prison, Protector of Pretty Much Everyone, the Kilteesi of the Sickness of the Sea, the Dunbonnet, the Breaker of Lord John Grey’s Heart.

• Love 4

I just saw a Tweet from Sam about the last two episodes. He’s either trolling us or warning us. When someone praised the most recent episode and what was gonna happen next, since he said they were his favorites. Sam tweeted these emojis:😳🤯

And I dinna ken wot tae make o’ it!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, cardigirl said:

Posting here, is there no new episode for Easter Sunday? 😧😨😱😭

2 hours ago, Cdh20 said:

There is not! 

This has always been the case for when there is a holiday weekend. Be it Easter or Memorial Day.

(edited)

For those of you who Facebook, Diana posted about the casting of adult William, complete with comparison phots of him and Sam in nearly identical poses and costumes.  I'll try posting the link below but I've have mixed success in the past trying to post links to Facebook.

I've long wondered what was going to happen when it came time to cast adult William.  There are a number of key moments in the books when William's uncanny resemblance to Jamie plays a significant role in the plot.  The guy they cast is certainly plausible as the offspring of Geneva Dunsany and Jamie Fraser but I don't think anyone would declare the new guy to "be the spit of" Jamie (to use Murtagh's expression.)

Spoiler

It's even less likely that this guy would be stopped in his tracks at the sight of Jamie, stunned by the realization of how much they look alike and WHY.

(The sentence above is a wee spoiler for non-book readers so I masked it.)

Anyway, here's a link to the image contained in Diana's Facebook post:

https://scontent.faus1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/279916022_546363043520621_6241983521758411140_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-6&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_eui2=AeHds9WzZcjWzhKHx-ElXfFPLXp8ppiEmTotenymmISZOmx-PUyFoIUA2prK3xvZJyA&_nc_ohc=TZdcCAGrMpkAX9YYZna&_nc_ht=scontent.faus1-1.fna&oh=00_AT8b5wVHN0qtkfs-UTjU-gKQ8Bs1nANX5kAQZHSAMjYDKQ&oe=62799038

Edited by WatchrTina
40 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

For those of you who Facebook, Diana posted about the casting of William, complete with comparison phots of him and Sam in nearly identical poses and costumes.  I'll try posting the link below but I've have mixed success in the past trying to post links to Facebook.

I've long wondered what was going to happen when it came time to cast adult William.  There are a number of key moments in the books when William's uncanny resemblance to Jamie plays a significant role in the plot.  The guy they cast is certainly plausible as the offspring of Geneva Dunsany and Jamie Fraser but I don't think anyone would declare the new guy to "be the spit of" Jamie (to use Murtagh's expression.)

Hide contents

It's even less likely that this guy would be stopped in his tracks at the sight of Jamie, stunned by the realization of how much they look alike and WHY.

(The sentence above is a wee spoiler for non-book readers so I masked it.)

Anyway, here's a link to the image contained in Diana's Facebook post:

https://scontent.faus1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/279916022_546363043520621_6241983521758411140_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-6&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_eui2=AeHds9WzZcjWzhKHx-ElXfFPLXp8ppiEmTotenymmISZOmx-PUyFoIUA2prK3xvZJyA&_nc_ohc=TZdcCAGrMpkAX9YYZna&_nc_ht=scontent.faus1-1.fna&oh=00_AT8b5wVHN0qtkfs-UTjU-gKQ8Bs1nANX5kAQZHSAMjYDKQ&oe=62799038

Eh. At least in the bottom two pictures, he looks closer to Jamie, than in the top two pictures. And at least this one luiks mo' like Jamie than the kid they cast to play his brat.

• Love 2
(edited)

BTW his name is Charles Vandervaart (I forgot to mention that above) and his IMDb profile has a LOT of pictures of him as a child actor, so he's got a lot of experience under his belt even at the tender age of 21.

Edited by WatchrTina
On 5/2/2022 at 10:44 PM, WatchrTina said:

Outlander gets a wee mention in this Scottish comedienne's YouTube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJpyIOM5cpU

Edited to add another video by the same comedienne who, alas, totally MISSES an opportunity to include an Outlander reference in her spiel about some Scottish standing stone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Gezl1PMDY

Thanks, we really enjoy her channel! Although she's actually English, Craig the Scottish tour guide is one of her several characters.

• Useful 1
On 5/5/2022 at 5:29 PM, WatchrTina said:

There are a number of key moments in the books when William's uncanny resemblance to Jamie plays a significant role in the plot.  The guy they cast is certainly plausible as the offspring of Geneva Dunsany and Jamie Fraser but I don't think anyone would declare the new guy to "be the spit of" Jamie (to use Murtagh's expression.)

Agreed.  I felt the same way when they cast Alex Randal and when they cast Bree.  Even though the show has not chosen to go with the uncanny resemblance of some characters, I've usually been impressed with how they are able to tell the story.

Still, not quite seeing the resemblance when they are both in uniform.

• Love 2

"Starz officially confirmed the Outlander prequel series titled Blood of My Blood is in development. The writers’ room has officially opened on the new drama series that will follow the love story of Jamie Fraser’s (Sam Heughan) parents, Ellen MacKenzie and Brian Fraser."

"Matthew B. Roberts will write Outlander: Blood of My Blood and will serve as showrunner and executive producer. He is also the showrunner and executive producer for the flagship series which is currently in production on Season 7.

Maril Davis will also executive produce the prequel with Ronald D. Moore, who developed Outlander for TV, under their production banner Tall Ship Productions. Story Mining & Supply Company will also EP with Diana Gabaldon, whose novels inspired the franchise, serving as a consulting producer."

https://deadline.com/2022/08/outlander-prequel-series-blood-of-my-blood-confirmed-starz-1235084826/

This sounds more like a replacement series after a final S7 or S8 so the main cast can move on.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:
22 hours ago, Glade said:

This sounds more like a replacement series after a final S7 or S8 so the main cast can move on.

I agree.

And I won't be watching 🤢.

3 hours ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

I'm not opposed to the idea, but I would be more interested in a Lord John TV series since there's a Lord John book series already. At the least, I would hope they would do both.

A LJ series would give him more to go than make heart eyes at Jaime and everything must revolve around “the king of men.”

I personally have zero interest in the love story of Jaime’s parents.  I mean if you are going the prequel route (and completely unwritten one) how about exploring how the hell people time travel?

• Applause 1
22 minutes ago, ch1 said:

I personally have zero interest in the love story of Jaime’s parents.  I mean if you are going the prequel route (and completely unwritten one) how about exploring how the hell people time travel?

1,000% this. We know how Jamie’s parents got together. How about some info on Claire and how/why she can time travel? 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

HARD PASS.

First, as others have stated, we know the story of Jamie's parents, and two, his mother died young. What's the point?

And the only way I'll invest and watch a series about John Grey is if David Berry plays him. And they have to do The Scottish Prisoner and if they do, they better as HELL get Sam to play Jamie.

Wot?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

and two, his mother died young. What's the point?

Yes, I think it would be a depressing story.  Show us this great love story and then she dies.

And then their daughter is nearly raped and definitely assaulted.  And their son is beaten within an inch of his life and flogged twice, which leads to his father's death.  So yeah...think I'll pass on this one.  Feel like the ending of Atonement would be more joyful than this.  

I'm not sure why they thought people would be interested in a show about the love story of Jamie's parents. Has anyone EVER expressed interest in that? From the books even?

Why would they not go with the Lord John spinoff? This just doesn't make sense imo.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ruby24 said:

I'm not sure why they thought people would be interested in a show about the love story of Jamie's parents. Has anyone EVER expressed interest in that? From the books even?

Why would they not go with the Lord John spinoff? This just doesn't make sense imo.

An LG series would mean your lead would be a gay man who actually has gay sex and relationships?  

That’s a good a guess as any because any spinoff/prequel is going to be a risk. 

1 hour ago, ruby24 said:

From what I read, this is something Matt Roberts wants to do. Maril and Ron are also involved. 

But I agree with you. I don’t know who or why they thought this would be a series worth making.

It took years for this series to make it to television, and Matt thinks a show about Jamie’s dead mum, who we never met or saw in the books, and his father, who also was already dead, and that it happened when Jamie was being flogged, is something worth developing? Like why?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, justmehere said:

Maybe because Diana is, or is planning to, write on the same subject and has received a lot of interest from fans of the books?

I don't know about that. But like I posted up thread--this is something Matt Roberts wants to do and he'll be the show runner.

Sam & Cait did a mini Q&A after a day of filming and posted an edited version of it on Twitter.  I'm never sure if links to Twitter work but I'll try. (Actually this may be old news.  They did this 100 days ago?  Well, it's new to me and I enjoyed it so, it you are interested, here ya go.)

https://publish.twitter.com/?query=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fdisplaceintime%2Fstatus%2F1557498154898968576&widget=Tweet

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

Sam & Cait did a mini Q&A after a day of filming and posted an edited version of it on Twitter.  I'm never sure if links to Twitter work but I'll try.

https://publish.twitter.com/?query=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fdisplaceintime%2Fstatus%2F1557498154898968576&widget=Tweet

Sam and  Cait are SOOOOOO adorable together! I ❤️ their friendship! Though I think there were only two questions in that 8 minute video!🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

I haven't seen House of the Dragon yet as we'll probably wait and binge watch it all at once after it's done, assuming of course that we're not still too pissed about how spectacularly GOT flamed out to bother with the magical inbred people. So I only know he's playing the Kingsguard commander there without any idea of the character. But it still remains one of my favorite things of this past decade in TV that Graham McTavish has built such a successful career out of playing dickish dicks in every fantasy/sci-fi franchise.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 8/27/2022 at 11:14 AM, nodorothyparker said:

Graham McTavish has built such a successful career out of playing dickish dicks in every fantasy/sci-fi franchise.

Not to be spoilery, but so far, he isn't a dickish dick in House of the Dragon.  So far.  It's only two episodes.  But don't all McTavish characters eventually become dickish dicks?  

He's toned down the burr a bit, and I'm no a fan, ye ken?

• Love 1