Type keyword(s) to search

Late To The Party: Obvious Things About Shows You Realized Embarrasingly Late

• Start Topic

I watched all of Schitt's Creek about 5 years ago. Just started watching it again last night and when Roland Schitt introduced himself I heard it. Rolled in Shit. 

I just got it, y'all. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, festivus said:

I watched all of Schitt's Creek about 5 years ago. Just started watching it again last night and when Roland Schitt introduced himself I heard it. Rolled in Shit. 

I just got it, y'all. 

I never got that or noticed it until your post and I've watched it at least 3 times...

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
(edited)
On 10/2/2019 at 10:09 AM, Anduin said:

I knew about the cult. The rest is news. Wikipedia says that sadly, the marriage is believed to be a sham to get one of them American citizenship.

I knew about the cult, but not this bit of news, any of the Cally Tytol connection.

Uh, thanks?

Edited by Affogato
  • Like 1

Not TV shows but TV commercials - it took me way too long to notice that the actors clothing and/or the colours of the walls, furniture etc in the scene matched the packaging of whatever product they are selling. 

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
3 hours ago, Dimity said:

Not TV shows but TV commercials - it took me way too long to notice that the actors clothing and/or the colours of the walls, furniture etc in the scene matched the packaging of whatever product they are selling. 

Now that you mention it, it did seem odd that everyone's clothing  and the walls were emerald green in those Club Crackers ads. .

• Like 2
On 6/15/2023 at 9:24 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

But, it was the early 80s, so all that homophobia was to be expected.

Related to this...we just watched some episodes of a Showtime show from the early 2000s because an actress who was a friend of Mrs. Stone's had a major role in one of them. Show was called A Girl Thing. Anyway, in this one episode, high-powered professional Elle McPherson (who's been straight) starts to think she'd like to date a woman she's recently met, and her woman colleague and friend in the firm absolutely can't handle it, tries to talk her out of this delusional thinking, and in general seems ready to write her off as a human being she ever wants to interact with again. The early 2000s, people!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

The early 2000s, people!

The national policy at the time from President Clinton was "don't ask, don't tell". While recurring and star LGBT characters had been around since the 1970s we still hadn't reached that point of total acceptance by the community. Black males wouldn't be seen with White females either as earlier generations who came of age during Jim Crow still made up part of the target demographic. I guess even for a cable network normally pushing the social envelopes and not facing the political pressures that broadcast networks do all producers were not all in.

• Useful 5
On 6/16/2024 at 6:24 PM, Dimity said:

Duh, I have never noticed or realized this.  Will have to start checking.  I do skip most commercials, though.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Duh, I have never noticed or realized this.  Will have to start checking.  I do skip most commercials, though.

The recent spate of commercials for Jardiance are a great example of color-coordinating with the product logo.  There are at least 3 different ones out there.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 6/19/2024 at 6:25 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

@Milburn Stone is from the advertising world.  Can you comment on this coordinated color costume phenomenon in commercials? 

The current color-coordinated thing is part of a larger shift in advertising which is particularly virulent in the Pharma category. Which is the primacy of mnemonic devices above all else. Mnemomics (associational triggers, conscious or otherwise) have always been a thing in advertising, but they were just one tool in the toolbox back in my day, and not the most important one at the agencies that prided themselves on their work. While not shunning mnemonics, we were looking more to create a brand essence (roughly, if the brand were imagined as a person, what kind of person would that be? smart? down-to-earth? kind? playful? serious? proud? admirable? trustworthy? humble? etc.), and to demonstrate insight into the consumer's real life (we know who you are, we know what matters to you, etc.). We strove not only to take the brand in the right direction in the short-term, but also to build the reputation of the brand over time. Making clothing the same color as the logo, from this perspective, is the refuge of scoundrels. Our art directors were more likely to want to make wardrobe pop from or blend in with the surroundings as the case may be, but in every case to make it believable for the character and aesthetically pleasing in the composition. Oh, how idealistic we were!

• Useful 13
2 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

The current color-coordinated thing is part of a larger shift in advertising which is particularly virulent in the Pharma category. Which is the primacy of mnemonic devices above all else. Mnemomics (associational triggers, conscious or otherwise) have always been a thing in advertising, but they were just one tool in the toolbox back in my day, and not the most important one at the agencies that prided themselves on their work. While not shunning mnemonics, we were looking more to create a brand essence (roughly, if the brand were imagined as a person, what kind of person would that be? smart? down-to-earth? kind? playful? serious? proud? admirable? trustworthy? humble? etc.), and to demonstrate insight into the consumer's real life (we know who you are, we know what matters to you, etc.). We strove not only to take the brand in the right direction in the short-term, but also to build the reputation of the brand over time. Making clothing the same color as the logo, from this perspective, is the refuge of scoundrels. Our art directors were more likely to want to make wardrobe pop from or blend in with the surroundings as the case may be, but in every case to make it believable for the character and aesthetically pleasing in the composition. Oh, how idealistic we were!

Thank you for taking the time to tell us all of this.  When you look at it closely, it seems like a silly attempt at mind control.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Thank you for taking the time to tell us all of this.  When you look at it closely, it seems like a silly attempt at mind control.

Isn't that what all advertising is more or less?

• Like 7
  • Wink 2
  • Useful 1
On 6/21/2024 at 1:54 PM, bluegirl147 said:

Isn't that what all advertising is more or less?

I would agree, and I would add lawyering, political punditry, advocacy journalism, and at least a dozen other professions of greater or lesser degrees of respectability, along with all personal conversations intended to change the behavior or outlook of another. 

I often thought of us as very analogous to litigators, in fact. Both professions use every creative means at their disposal to move people rationally and emotionally in order to achieve favorable outcomes for their clients. Litigators address a jury of twelve, we addressed a jury of tens of millions. 

• Like 8
(edited)

I'll just add that when I first mentioned mind control I was more thinking about unconscious manipulation techniques, like those supposed subliminal film flashes telling the audience to "buy Coke," which we learned about in Psych 101.  Or indeed the color coordination gambit.  As a lawyer, my attempts at persuasion are on the contrary right out in the open, even the emotional pleas.  So I'll just call it persuasion instead of mind control.

BTW, I've been known to have a special susceptibility to certain food advertising, such as when a fast food company advertises a new sandwich.  I sometimes must go and taste it.  That's what happened to me with the Pop Tarts and why I had to run out and buy them after watching the Unfrosted movie.  There's something about the photography that gets me.

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 2

Rewatching the first season of the 80s anime Robotech (The Macross Saga) I realized there is a subplot that seems borrowed from the classic Greta Garbo movie Ninotchka

• Like 2
On 6/20/2024 at 12:12 AM, DoctorAtomic said:

Jardiance sounds like a character from Bleak House. 

The jingle does send me to the depths of despair, so it makes sense.

• LOL 6

I hesitate to bring this up, but I think I've done it twice now....

Looking at the sports channel guide it shows "PBR Camping World" which in my brain translates to Pabst Blue Ribbon is sponsoring some kind of camping competition.  What could it be?  So, I turn it on and it's the rodeo!

Professional Bull Riding sponsored by Camping World.  I'm disappointed.

• Like 1
  • LOL 11
9 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

I hesitate to bring this up, but I think I've done it twice now....

Looking at the sports channel guide it shows "PBR Camping World" which in my brain translates to Pabst Blue Ribbon is sponsoring some kind of camping competition.  What could it be?  So, I turn it on and it's the rodeo!

I know it's Professional Bull Riding, and my brain still immediately says Pabst Blue Ribbon.

• Like 7
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

I used to camp and we were far more into beer than rodeo so I could see where you'd think Pabst, and where you'd be disappointed. 

• Like 5

I always realized that TV shows were filmed on sets (for the most part) and not in someone's actual living room but today in a group I follow on FB someone posted some 'behind the scenes' photos they took at a filming of Everybody Loves Raymond and I have two reactions.  One, I honestly thought the sets were far more detailed and "real housey" than that, and two, I am in awe of the set designers and the film crew who can make a set like that look like a real house when viewed on TV.

458405485_1063021062494630_2555507283992762212_n.jpg

• Like 8
16 minutes ago, Affogato said:

I don’t know if I mentioned  this before through the whole run of WKRP I never realized what it meant. 

Were you in the west where we had K's instead of W's or the KRP part?

(edited)
40 minutes ago, Raja said:

Were you in the west where we had K's instead of W's or the KRP part?

I grew up in the twin cities so it was on the line between K and W. No, the krap part. This is fairly clueless of me!

Edited by Affogato
  • Like 4
19 hours ago, Affogato said:

I grew up in the twin cities so it was on the line between K and W. No, the krap part. This is fairly clueless of me!

I guess I'm a dope, because I never realized it either.  Yeah, it does seem obvious now that you mention it. 

• Like 5
(edited)

Something in the back of my mind is saying that crap was mentioned in the pilot of WKRP when Andy took over.

Of course back then you had two chances to catch an episode before waiting for a syndication station to buy it.

Edited by Raja
  • Like 3
8 minutes ago, Raja said:

Something in the back of my mind is saying that crap was mentioned in the pilot of WKRP when Andy took over.

Of course back then you had two chances to catch an episode before waiting for a syndication station to buy it.

I think that's true.  As I recall the station's mascot was a carp. so the show implied that was the meaning behind the station's name.

• Like 2

When I feel like I am alone in my opinion, I will say 'I'm the cheese that stands alone.'  As a stand alone phrase it makes so sense.  I always attributed it to Omar from the Wire because that is where I heard it used first and I had no idea why he said it, but coming from Omar it sounded cool.

Somehow it came up in conversation and my husband said 'No, it is from a children's song." And he started singing 'Farmer in the Dell.'

And then the lightbulb went off. Duh!  That of course is the tune Omar whistles (ominously) and I knew that,  I just never knew the words.  And the last stanza is the "cheese stands alone" which makes sense in how Omar uses it (again, ominously).

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
2 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

When I feel like I am alone in my opinion, I will say 'I'm the cheese that stands alone.'  As a stand alone phrase it makes so sense.  I always attributed it to Omar from the Wire because that is where I heard it used first and I had no idea why he said it, but coming from Omar it sounded cool.

Somehow it came up in conversation and my husband said 'No, it is from a children's song." And he started singing 'Farmer in the Dell.'

And then the lightbulb went off. Duh!  That of course is the tune Omar whistles (ominously) and I knew that,  I just never knew the words.  And the last stanza is the "cheese stands alone" which makes sense in how Omar uses it (again, ominously).

By coincidence, I was trying to explain the cheese stands alone to my husband the other day, and I forgot it was from The Farmer In the Dell.  Another duh for me.  Thanks for the help. 

• Like 5