Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E24: The Status Quo Combustion

Sheldon is forced to confront an uncertain future and considers a major move. Meanwhile, Raj and Emily take it to the next level, and Mrs. Wolowitz’s injury is a major headache for Howard and Bernadette.
(edited)

Amy going all Solange on Leonard was awesome (Penny = Beyonce), but otherwise, meh. 

I am sick and tired of the fat jokes about Howard's Mom.   It's just cruelty and worse - not funny. 

Edited by midge
  • Love 2

I loved that comic book guy ( can't remember his name) found his niche with Leonards mom. Every peg has a hole, so to speak. Sheldon made me cry, he just seems so lost, of course he had to ruin it at the end, but he will be back and as rude as ever.

Stuart! He was so sad, I was almost in tears when he was cleaning up the ruins of his store in a desultory fashion. I am also glad that he found his niche with Howard's mom.

The train station scene made me a little misty also. Leonard really does care about Sheldon, despite everything.

• Love 1

The finale felt like a placeholder. I'm just happy they didn't have Sheldon sleep with Amy amid his emotional confusion. I was terrified that was going to happen when I read vague spoilers about this episode. I like the idea of Sheldon trying to sort things out on his own. I'm tired of Magic Amy.

The girls hanging out in Penny's apartment was my favorite part of the episode. 

Well that went nowhere. The episode just seem to suddenly end, as if there were 15 more minutes of plot but they had to be cut for time.

Sheldon doesn't consider Amy to be anything more than a minor fixture in his life; if she hasn't gotten it by now, she never will. 3+ years of a "relationship", one kiss initiated out of spite, more close-mouthed kisses of disinterest, no plans for the future, and he doesn't even consult her before running out of town. Great boyfriend material there.

Loved seeing Christine Baranski even in a tiny Skype conversation.

Stuart's comic book store burning down made me wonder if it could be a step towards the guys finally letting go of their comic books, action figures, superheroes, and such. But so much of the show is based on that, so I doubt it. It'd be interesting if there was a time jump in the next season premiere, so we could see a slightly-into-the-future gang. Not much, maybe a year. Sheldon's journey could have made him less of a dick; Amy could have found a new boyfriend; Raj and Emily are a serious couple; Howard and Bernie are expecting; Penny and Leonard are...something. The status quo has gotten a little stale.

• Love 5

Amy going all Solange on Leonard was awesome (Penny = Beyonce), but otherwise, meh. 

Ah! Nice comparison!

I'm glad, so to speak, that Stuart has found his niche, but I hate how the character got there and in general, how he's been treated over the last seasons.

It was a weird episode. Sheldon going away could lead to some interesting changes if the writers handle it well, but I doubt they're up to it. However, they seem to realize the story and these characters' lives have come to a turning point. Leonard and Penny are engaged and want to live together, Sheldon needs to change fields... They could give the show a new beginning and a new dynamic. Or they could chicken out and maintain the actual status quo, with nothing changed next season.

Sheldon?  Don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out. 

Colour me severely underwhelmed.

I liked that poor ol' Stuart is finally on an upwards track.  I can see him being given Howard's old room, with all the attendant emotional self-assessment that Howard will have to do with such a change.   It was nice to see Raj progress as well, but I am so over the locker room talk with the guys.  ("When I get depressed, I sleep with women." [paraphrased])  Yeargh.  Enough already.

And finally -- what the hell is it going to take for Amy to get a clue?   Her "boyfriend" buggers off without so much as a goodbye; he makes it abundantly clear that he regards her as a minor nuisance; he seems to react to her with real irritation; and it's obvious her needs and feelings mean nothing to him in the greater scheme of things.  Her pathetic attempts to get his attention are, like the Ma Wolowitz fat jokes, are no longer funny and are now merely cringe-worthy.

I think Mayim is incredibly talented and it makes me both sad and angry that she's presented in this fashion.  Grow a spine, Amy! (And be honest with yourself while you're at it.)  What I would like to see is she goes on her own (metaphorical) journey of self-discovery in Sheldon's absence and realizes she doesn't need this nonsense.  So when Sheldon returns, she's found someone else.  It's called consequences, Shelly Bean.

Sheldon has always been selfish ("So you're putting your girlfriend's happiness above mine.") and it's getting tiresome. Maybe being on his own and dealing with people who are not enablers (unlike his friends) the "baby" might not always win and we might see some real character growth.

Alas, I feel that with these writers, keeping the status quo is what they'll decide to do. 

• Love 4

I remember the episode in which Sheldon and Leonard were robbed, and Sheldon decided to move to Bozeman, Montana.  Of course that didn't last very long since Sheldon was robbed as soon as he stepped off the bus. Doubt if he would try Bozeman again, but I would think he might at least make a side trip to Texas to visit his mother (maybe that's because I'd love to see Laurie Metcalf again).  Maybe he could visit Leonard's mother as well, since he seems to have developed a decent relationship with her.

I was glad to see Stuart find happiness in a job no one else wanted. I hope this means we will see more of him next year...surely there's more they could do with this character.  Amy continues to desperately try to find a place in someone's life (she would have loved to be invited to Penny and Leonard's dinner), and I do find that sad (maybe because she is the character I personally most resemble)....but having space between her and Sheldon can only be a good thing for her (though it does appear he intends to keep her on an electronic leash of hope by telephoning her every day).   While a little of Raj's sexual adventures is more than enough for me, I'm glad for Howard and Bernadette that they could go on with their lives since they were clearly not prepared to be long term caretakers (one of the toughest jobs out there, from my observation of my brother taking care of our mother).  Penny and Leonard leaving Sheldon at the train station was a nice moment.  It  symbolized change and transition for these characters.  I can't see the show making too much change in Sheldon, though, because I'm not sure what would be left if one took out his inherent traits that drive much of the humor in this show.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I still like this show.  Maybe it is because there is such a dearth of choices out there (speaking for myself, of course).   

• Love 4
(edited)

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I still like this show.  Maybe it is because there is such a dearth of choices out there (speaking for myself, of course).   

You're not alone!

A few rambling thoughts....

Favorite parts:

*  Leonard's mom mentioning that Sheldon thinks very highly of Penny (awww!)

*  This exchange (from memory, so it might be a bit off): 

Sheldon:  "Did you take a marijuana?"

Leonard:  "No."

Sheldon (getting slightly more exasperated):  "Did you get hit on the head with a coconut?"  (Hee!)

Leonard (also getting slightly more annoyed):  "No!"

Sheldon (on the verge of hysteria):  "Then, I give up!  I'm out of guesses!!"

I also hope that things work out with Stuart and Debby (did we know before that was her name?).  I would love it if they develop a special bond and Howard ends up being jealous. 

I was surprised that Sheldon didn't run home to his mother in Texas.  That's usually what he does when he's upset.  Does striking out on his own (and living "off the land" [hee! again]) mean he's growing up?

I'm not as bothered as others are by the Sheldon-Amy relationship.  I think, deep down, he really does care for her.  Note it appears that he's calling her daily to check in while he's away, and not Leonard.

Now, I really should get back to doing real work.  But, it's Friday and I don't really feel like it.  I hope this site is hopping today, so I can be distracted/entertained....

Edited by MMLEsq
  • Love 5
You're not alone!

Ditto.  I even liked the finale.  I don't judge Sheldon on how he acts in one episode, if his character is being consistent it's how he grows over all which is at glacier pace anyway.  I guess I'd like to think he went off without consulting Amy not because he doesn't consider her but because he can't voice what he's feeling.  He just doesn't do change and his way of coping with that is to try and force everyone and everything around him to stay the same.  Now he realized that's not going to work forever and he sort of got the idea out loud with Stuart and once he did say it I think it hit him what the problem was (him).  To go off and think about whether he can accept the changes and change himself isn't so bad; I'd like to believe he would have texted everyone once he was on his way.  I also imagine him safer then when he moved to Montana because with his love of trains I picture him just staying on the train, enjoying the ride and thinking...he probabaly wouldn't even think it worthwhile to get off at the stops and see the sights.

Didn't get at first that the comic book store had burned - you could tell it was empty but it was so dark I didn't see the burn marks and thought he was closing and had emptied the place.  I'd love to have him say next season he's becoming even a certified home health aide and maybe they can find a way to keep him with "Debbie" Wolowitz (if it's logical)....definitely though make him less pathetic please writers.

• Love 5

I guess I'd like to think he went off without consulting Amy not because he doesn't consider her but because he can't voice what he's feeling.

I like that interpretation of Sheldon.  Personally I wouldn't have the patience to wait for Sheldon, but then I'm not Amy. 

• Love 1

I feel bad when I see how Leonard's mom treats him. Poor guy. I also felt bad for Stuart, and was pretty angry at Sheldon when he couldn't show Stuart compassion when his store burnt down. I love that he enjoys caring for Howard's mom, and Bernadette asking for a "divorce" cracked me up. I love her cute little attitude.

• Love 2

I liked the finale.  I still enjoy the show, but I don't have high expectations of situation comedies, LOL.  I loved that Stuart found a job that he likes with Debby Wolowitz.  Maybe his life can start to turn around now and he can use the money from the insurance to go to school. 

I'm thinking that when Sheldon gets back in the season opener, that he has thought through his options and he will have made decisions. Maybe he will decide to be the new Dr. Proton and go on TV?  Sheldon always has an element of showmanship and I think he would enjoy being in the public eye.  I think he will make a decision on Amy as well (I hope he doesn't come back married, that would be horrible for Amy and awful to see). 

I don't know - it could be interesting.  Or not, depending on what the writers decide to do.

• Love 1

I'm assuming that Sheldon being out of work and telling Stuart how lucky he is to own a comic book store paves the way for Sheldon and Stuart to reopen the store together, with Sheldon doing the science he wants to do in his spare time.  And there would be a lot of spare time at that comic book store.  We already know from past seasons that Sheldon has a truckload of money -- he never even cashed his paychecks until Leonard stepped in and made him open a bank account.

With any luck, Stuart will live with Howard's mother and Mrs Wolowitz won't be heard from every time we see Howard and Bernadetts, and so the show can stop including her and her size in every single episode ever.  Because hey, the horse died 7 years ago, let's beat it some more.

About Amy:  I couldn't agree more that it's criminal for such a talented person to be trapped in a non-relationship, never understanding that she deserves more.  But I'm also thinking about how many very, very smart women end up putting themselves in exactly the same predicament, and so I think it's fair for the show to use that as comic fodder.  Doesn't make the relationship healthy and it doesn't mean Amy is as smart as she thinks she is, but it's common and we've all seen it.  I don't think it means the show is anti-feminist.  When Leonard does something stupid, we don't interpret that as antisemitic, do we?  If Sheldon was hitting her or undermining her self-esteem that would be one thing, but that's not what's going on here.  Poking fun at the way people behave is ok for a comedy as long as it's funny.  And Amy's character is pretty damn funny.  YMMV.

• Love 1
(edited)

Stuart's comic book store burning down, and his moving in to take care of "Debbie" may be my favourite plot progression ever. I have always felt sorry for Stuart with his sad lonely life. The fact that he likes Howard's mom, feels useful in caring for her and has a real home (for now at least) I found really heartwarming. I hope when Debbie recovers (did we ever even know her given name previously?) Stuart stays on as a surrogate son/roommate. I think it could bring about some interesting scenarios where Howard in no longer the sole focus of his mother's attention.

I hope while Sheldon is gone Amy moves on and starts dating someone else. Then when Sheldon returns he realizes what he has in her and they are able to move into a more normal type of relationship. Sheldon has made baby steps in that direction, and it is time for this relationship either to become legit or end.

Love anytime Christine B. is on the show. Also love how different she looks on BBT than she does on The Good Wife. I don't mind how she acts to Leonard - that is who she is so it is hardly a surprise

But I'm also thinking about how many very, very smart women end up putting themselves in exactly the same predicament,

This line hit me like a ton of bricks as I have an friend who has been in this type of relationship for years! She is beautiful, smart, funny and could have any guy she wants. She has been in a non relationship for many years with someone who she calls her boyfriend but acts like anything but. They do not live together, holiday together, or do much of anything together. But she hangs around for the few crumbs he throws her. Mind boggling, but not unlike Shamy.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 4
(edited)

Unlike everyone else, I did not rejoice in Stuart's new job, because I think they had accurately depicted how thankless such work can be, and it is not realistic that Stuart would really enjoy it. I suspect they only had him so grateful for and enthusiastic about the job because they are going to kill off Howard's mom over the break. After all, if they really are going to change things, that would have a tremendous impact on Howard, and now Stuart too.

ETA: Maybe if she does die, she'll include Stuart in her will. I would love to see Stuart do something with his artistic skills.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

....they had accurately depicted how thankless such work can be, and it is not realistic that Stuart would really enjoy it.

I knew a young man who worked for hospice.  He had the "thankless" task of taking care of my mother in her last few months of life. It was not a job I could do, but he did it (the cleaning, the moving of a very heavy woman who had no ability to help, the changing of her clothing and sheets, etc.) and he never complained and was never less than gentle and loving toward her. I don't know how he did it but he clearly felt dedicated to the job and is doing it still.  Stuart reminds me of him, in a way.  I don't think it is for us to judge the worthiness of such a job to a person. Stuart has struck me as being someone who wants desperately to be needed by someone. Debbie needs him, and seems to appreciate his efforts. What is so thankless about that?  No I wouldn't do it, but I am certainly glad there are people who will.

• Love 7
(edited)

I think the Stuart/Debbie storyline is one of the most realistic ones I have seen in this show. Stuart has always been a sad sack, and the comic book store has never brought him any joy from what I can see. Or enough monetary rewards to be able to afford to live anywhere but the back room which doesn't even have a shower. Now he is in a nice home, needed, and doing a job where he is compensated and appreciated. Debbie also is able to spend time with someone who wants to be with her, unlike Howard who has always treated her like dirt.

Hospice workers are angels IMO, but in Stuart's case Debbie isn't dying. He is doing what millions of home support workers do every day. And getting room and board thrown in as a bonus. Seems like a win-win-win for all involved.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 9

Sheldon doesn't consider Amy to be anything more than a minor fixture in his life; if she hasn't gotten it by now, she never will. 3+ years of a "relationship", one kiss initiated out of spite, more close-mouthed kisses of disinterest, no plans for the future, and he doesn't even consult her before running out of town. Great boyfriend material there.

He's never been good boyfriend material, and I wish the show would stop trying to make him into that. Amy needs to move on and the show needs to let her. Sheldon as a guy who has a girlfriend and is comfortable with intimacy etc doesn't interest me at all, we have 3+ of those on the show already. I like the fact that he's depicting a character who sits outside what is seen as 'normal' and it bugs the hell out of me that they're trying to normalise him.

Unlike everyone else, I did not rejoice in Stuart's new job, because I think they had accurately depicted how thankless such work can be, and it is not realistic that Stuart would really enjoy it.

My mother is in an aged care home, she needs help 24/7 and the people who care for her do enjoy their jobs and don't see them as thankless. It takes all kinds, and I'm extremely grateful that there are people who find caring for others in need to be worthwhile and fulfilling work.

• Love 8

Stuart's always been one of my favorite characters, so I was happy to see him as central to a plot.  And I like the premise of him taking Howard's place in Mama Wolowitz's house.  I hope he stays there so if Bernadette & Howard have a baby, they have a "Manny" too!  *LOL*

I loved the way Jim Parsons played Sheldon at the train station.  The overwhelming sense of dread & confusion he was experiencing really came through for me.  I don't want him to break up with Amy, but I would like to see their relationship move forward a little more "normally" when he gets back. 

I just thought of something. With the comic book store burning down, there can be no return of Captain Sweatpants!

(although he is a traitor to go to the other comic book store)

• Love 1

I imagine they'll find a way to bring in Capt. Sweatpants.  Since Stuart now isn't in competition with the other store, the boys need somewhere to really get their geek on. 

I wonder if this will be the season we find out Penny's last name.  Seems a natural part of the wedding conversation "Will you be taking Leonard's last name, or keeping your own for "acting" reasons"?  Maybe then we find out nobody has any idea what her last name is...*LOL*  Even IMDB has no last name listed for either Penny or her father, Wyatt. 

It was nice to see Raj progress as well, but I am so over the locker room talk with the guys.  ("When I get depressed, I sleep with women." [paraphrased])  Yeargh.  Enough already.

I actually liked that and found it plausible. Raj hasn't been 'getting any' for years now and it makes sense that he would throw it in everyone's faces as much as possible.

(edited)

I thought we'd finally hear who won tenure in this episode. It is a hangover from last season that is making me batty.

How long does the process take once the candidates are recommended?

The pillow pummeling was my favorite part, too. I am pleased to see a set-up for forward motion with this episode.

Edited by kermitmissesjim

Raj hasn't been 'getting any' for years now and it makes sense that he would throw it in everyone's faces as much as possible.

Yeah but he's saying it to a newly engaged man and a married man, both with long-term, healthy sex lives with partners that adore them. It's not really bragging if the other people have already had, and still do, what you're bragging about. I thought it was funny in a pathetic sort of way. So like basically everything about Raj.

Yeah but he's saying it to a newly engaged man and a married man, both with long-term, healthy sex lives with partners that adore them. It's not really bragging if the other people have already had, and still do, what you're bragging about. I thought it was funny in a pathetic sort of way. So like basically everything about Raj.

Yes, exactly. Funny in a pathetic way. That's Raj all over.

I thought we'd finally hear who won tenure in this episode. It is a hangover from last season that is making me batty.

How long does the process take once the candidates are recommended?

I'm pretty sure it will never be mentioned again. Another example of the lack of continuity on the show.

Wait.

So Sheldon needs consistency so much, and is so freaked out by change, that  ... he reacts to change by ... making ... a massive change in his life by randomly riding the rails with absolutely no plan whatsoever?

What in hell? He can handle the constant change of taking random trains with Whoever to Wherever until Whenever, but he can't handle a predictable change like two dating people getting engaged?

Is it me, or is this kinda shitty writing?

• Love 2

Since we didn't hear anything, I presumed that it went to someone else. The default resolution of any story in a sitcom is to maintain the status quo.

I've watched Leonard's conversation with his mother several times now and Christine Baranski continues to make me laugh every single time.

Leonard's mom: "If Penny is good enough for Sheldon, she's good enough for me."

Leonard: "I'm your son! What about the fact that she's good enough for me?"

Leonard's mom: "...Sure."

CB's delivery of "...Sure" just kills me.

• Love 4

Is that really normal for grown-up men?

Yeah, I think so, sometimes.  Most men are sexually active years before Raj finally found someone who wants him, so his response is appropriate to a much younger guy, someone who's just started sleeping with women.  I think he's been watching Leonard and Howard have sex for years and thinks that now he's finally become a man too, so he wants to throw that into every conversation he has.  I hear it all the time from teenage boys.  I think it's the same principle by which a newly-divorced man in his 40's starts looking for women by doing what he did and going where he went when he was last single, back in his 20's.  It's situationally normal but hopefully short-lived.

• Love 1

So Sheldon needs consistency so much, and is so freaked out by change, that  ... he reacts to change by ... making ... a massive change in his life by randomly riding the rails with absolutely no plan whatsoever?

Is it me, or is this kinda shitty writing?

Nope, it's actually pretty consistent. Remember when his barber was sick and his haircut was delayed? All of a sudden he's playing bongos and going off the rails.

This is very in character for him.  Things change, he flips and retreats.

• Love 1

What bugs me more is that he is perfectly willing to make change on HIS terms. He wants to change his field of study, quite a huge step, which he's totally fine with. But change that doesn't happen on his terms, for his benefit, no sir, no way, do not want. It tells me that it's not so much change in general that Sheldon can't deal with but it's the fact that things don't go his way. that he can't control it and that something is happening he doesn't want.

I thought he was really awful in the comic book store. Stuart's entire life had just crashed and burned (literally) and Sheldon just feels no compassion (in character, but still bad). It's all about him.

• Love 3
This is very in character for him.  Things change, he flips and retreats.
It tells me that it's not so much change in general that Sheldon can't deal with but it's the fact that things don't go his way. that he can't control it

I understand what you're saying, but is taking a train out into the rest of the world really "retreating"? Hypochondriac Sheldon hates to even take the bus (for which he needs a special pair of pants) and now he's taking the random train to Anyplace, where literally everything will be unfamiliar and out of his control? Sheldon hates having to share his world with strangers, especially those vexing 'normal' people who do things he can't control, and now he's going to throw himself out there and immerse himself in them indefinitely? Sheldon can barely interact with the world without his friends as a buffer, and now suddenly he's socializing with a planet of small-brains without that safety net?

Suddenly Sheldon wants to do the very things he's been actively avoiding?

I could understand if this was sold as Sheldon's personal growth period but it wasn't. Playing the bongos is one thing - throwing away everything in your life when you've been consistently written as hating change ("But we always have Thai food on Thursdays! I always do my laundry at 7:05 pm on Saturday!" etc.)  is another thing entirely. It's just totally out of character for all the reasons I've stated. I think the writers fell in love with an idea about Sheldon, without thinking it through. I think it was poorly considered.

Keep in mind, I know this is just some dumb sitcom. I'm just commenting on the lack of writers' consistency for this character in this episode. Don't want to over-think a plate of beans, as they say... :-)

• Love 1

I think Sheldon taking off on a train isn't so much out of his comfort zone, because the dude LOVES trains.  If anything, he probably sees it as a sanctuary to get away from things for a while, in his own little cabin.  Yes, he will enounter new things, but he can always go back to the train for respite, and he won't have the gang/the apartment there as a distraction from his thoughts. 

• Love 4

Well, I hope this out of character act of Sheldon's becomes part of his new in character persona next season. I'd like to see a Sheldon who is adventurous and not so frightened of change.

Like Raj's selective mutism, Leonard's inability to handle a relationship with Penny, and Howard's disgusting misogyny, Sheldon's socially-tone-deaf control freakiness is wearing thin and needs an upgrade desperately.

Hypochondriac Sheldon hates to even take the bus (for which he needs a special pair of pants) and now he's taking the random train to Anyplace, where literally everything will be unfamiliar and out of his control?

But Sheldon sees himself as superior to everyone else, so why can't he just drop in on Anyplace and take control? Not realistic, but his ego wouldn't let him see that.

But Sheldon sees himself as superior to everyone else, so why can't he just drop in on Anyplace and take control?

Didn't he plan on doing precisely that when he moved to Bozeman?  And calling them "Bozites"?......*LOL*

(edited)

This is strictly my own made up scenarios but..... Next year I would love to see Bernadette and Howard come back from an extended vacation.  Bernadette did make a remark about how she wanted to go to Paris and not Hell so I assume they're thinking of going somewhere.  When they get home, Stuart would be sitting on the couch and would tell them that Debbie would be down in a minute.  Then pan to the stairs and have someone like Debbie Reynolds or Candace Bergen come down the stairs while Howard stands open mouthed and says, "Ma?"  While they were gone Stuart would have taken such good care of her she would have lost all the weight and become a real beauty.  Suzanne Pleshette would have been perfect for that part but unfortunately she's no longer with us.  That's just a thought.  It would also stop all the fat jokes.  I also thought it would be funny if Sheldon hooked up with Leonard's mother since she is divorced.  Then he would be Leonard's stepfather.  I'd also love to see Amy hook up with Penny's old boyfriend Zack.  Then she would have her own boy toy.  Too much?

Edited by shlbycindyk
  • Love 4

While I would never pair Amy with anyone as dumb as Zack, I love the idea with Ms. Wolowitz!  That would be completely awesome.  I can't see Debbie Reynolds grating on the nerves like that though.  Maybe Roseanne?  I can't see Sheldon hooking up with Leonard's mom though, mostly because I can't see him hooking up at all. 

• Love 2

Heh. Mrs. Wolowitz is presumably morbidly obese, so that vacation of Howard and Bernadette's would have to last several years to get her into svelte shape. :)

Then again, I'm willing to suspend any and all disbelief if it means the freaking fat jokes finally stop. So stupid, so lazy, so hurtful (and I say this as a clinically underweight person, so I can only imagine how these "jokes" make heavy folks feel; too bad empathy is sorely lacking over at Lorre & Co). 

Stuart as Debbie's pal/caretaker/fitness trainer/second son would be a great trajectory for him, though.

Heh. Mrs. Wolowitz is presumably morbidly obese, so that vacation of Howard and Bernadette's would have to last several years to get her into svelte shape. :)

She's not as big as has been suggested in the jokes. We've seen her (which limits who they could cast as a slimmer version).

• Love 1

Was anyone else bothered by Leonard suggesting that Sheldon move out?  That conversation rubbed me completely the wrong way, and I blame Leonard for it.

• Love 1

Was anyone else bothered by Leonard suggesting that Sheldon move out?  That conversation rubbed me completely the wrong way, and I blame Leonard for it.

I didn't think it was that bad. Leonard didn't say he was going to throw Sheldon out, he was just discussing options. He was suggesting Sheldon could move into Penny's place to point out a possibility that would allow Sheldon to still stay near them even if Leonard would no longer live with him. Penny's place is smaller and might not be great for two people to live in (although I'm sure that's going to be the eventual outcome), so the other option would realistically be to move further away, which would also not be easy for Sheldon to handle.