Type keyword(s) to search

Good Witch - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Lesbians? On the Hallmark Channel? That's got to be a first.

Now, wait. I'm confused. I always  thought the reason the show backed away from Cassie being a witch was because they didn't want to offend the religious viewers. Do they think a lesbian storyline will offend them any less? 

I'd have to go back and watch but I'm pretty sure Cassie had short hair when she got pregnant with Grace. I know she had short hair when she was the mayor. 

It would have been cool if they could have shown clips from the movies, but Stephanie wasn't in them. 

Are Martha and Tom's son and daughter in law going to be regulars now? This show does not need any new characters! And what happened to their other son? The only time I remember seeing either one was when they vandalized Cassie's shop way back in the first movie. 

This was a really boring episode. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Sigh...

Pregnancy, baby showers, birth.  Blah.  Come on Hallmark.  Where is the magic that was supposed to be back this season?  We had the brief mention at the beginning of the "symbol of protection" from the fake island near the fake white cliffs, and the hint that this was going to be a storyline, but it seems that they will probably string it out endlessly long as they do to too many storylines (Sam and Cassie's wedding, Abigail and Donovan's curse, etc.)  It seems like a token bone they are throwing us, with little meat on it.

And yes, Abigail's presence at the baby shower was jarring.  Oh, and by the way, Abigail, bangs are not your friend.

Edited by treeofdreams

The writers just retconing all over the place. Do they even have a show bible? 

Adam is amazed to find a church? I know he works out of the hospital, but he has been a Middleton how many years now? None of the patients told him there was a church? 

Both the fire fighters were black - WTF is happening in Middleton? And female firefighter is flirting Joy 🤯🤯.  hope female fighter is a recurring, it is nice to have a different energy on the show - for the lack of a better way to put it. A lot of recurring characters have been men or Cassie's family member.

The French teacher looks like a child. 

This episode kinda went nowhere and was pointless. The big thing about Abigail selling her shop didn't happen. What happened with the church at the end? Hinging the episode on a character we don't know and don't care about giving birth was not a great idea. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Lesbians? On the Hallmark Channel? That's got to be a first.

Now, wait. I'm confused. I always  thought the reason the show backed away from Cassie being a witch was because they didn't want to offend the religious viewers. Do they think a lesbian storyline will offend them any less?

I popped in to the Good Witch groups on Facebook...one of the groups has already been deactivated by the admins because of conflict, the other is deleting offensive comments like mad.  I think they will have a very busy day ahead of them.

Lots of posters are threatening to stop watching the show.  It will be interesting to see if Hallmark backtracks if their ratings fall off because of this.

On the plus side lots of posters are happy with this storyline.

• Useful 3
(edited)

I thought the episode was super boring.  So far, the season has been very boring and off-key.  I may not continue — just not holding my attention anymore.  The Joy - Firefighter flirtation just came out of left field.  I was so looking forward to a new season but everything is just “off”.  And Adam, please please go away.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 5

I wanted to respond to every single comment above regarding timeline. I found myself NOT attending to storyline and plot this episode because my mind was spinning about all the retro fantasy. Abigail did not arrive on the scene until after the “time jump” startup  of the series (Grace was a teenager at that time). Every single flashback scene was just wrong and left me questioning what had aired before. Do they really think we care about Martha’s kids (the last time we saw them, they had vandalized B,B &C)!
I did appreciate how Abigail solved the overbearing campaign manager problem, but that was about all. 
I also want to mention that my one and only experience with creme brûlée was served in a shallow, fluted tart dish, with a full 3/4” of rock-hard candy toffee on top and the thinnest sliver of custard beneath. It was Mother’s Day, we all ordered it, none of us were able to access it. Kinda like this show.......

There were already too many storylines, and they threw in a few more this episode.  They obviously have no idea what to do with the show now.  It is just random writing.  They really need to clean it up.  

They are good at disappearing characters, so they need to weed out all these random people and tighten their focus on, you know, MAGIC.  That's what we are watching for.  (Well, speaking for myself, but I think a lot of other viewers also.)

• Love 3

Abigail did not arrive on the scene until after the “time jump” startup  of the series (Grace was a teenager at that time). 

Abigail appeared in the fourth movie, "The Good Witch's Family." So she had actually been introduced to the audience before Grace was born. And she was the main antagonist in that story until she (of course) was eventually reformed into being good, as all Good Witch villains are. She did not appear in any of the other movies but I gather we are meant to think she continued to pop in and out of their lives from time to time. She certainly didn't live there, though.

Stephanie didn't exist in any of the movies either, so that kind of bugged me because if she's been friends with Cassie et. al. since before Grace was born, where the heck was she in all the movies? 

Also, where did Nick go? Did he go off to college? He was still on the show for awhile after Grace left but I can't remember what happened to him. 

I would also like to know what the heck ever happened to Derek. The actor does not appear to have done anything since this show so it's not like he left to play something else.

Finally, George mentioned he got married in that church. To who? Jake's first wife's mother, or Gwen, who also disappeared without explanation?

Maybe George is a serial killer and is using a memory potion to make everyone forget all these people. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

Was Abigail around way back when Cassie was pregnant? I thought she started coming around way after Grace was born.

I hope they’re not going to try to make the new French teacher be Stephanie’s new love interest.  He looks like he’s barely out of high school. 

Was going to post the same thing! I don’t remember her being around that far back. Also agree, Stephanie looks  a good 15-20 years older than him. 

On 5/30/2021 at 10:01 PM, TVForever said:

Is Joy flirting with the firefighter? 

Super shocked but I guess Hallmark is jumping on the Pride wagon with a very glossed over milk version gay couple? Tres interesting. I mean they did release a Christmas movie featuring a gay couple just last year.

I also was under the impression that Abigail wasn't around till after Grace was born and that neither was Stephanie.  

I also assumed that George's first wife (I think they retconned the 2nd one) and him were married in that church. I guess George will find out someone important either married or had a funeral there so that they can keep it.

I would love it if an evil sorcerer came to shake things up and the three Good Witches would need to protect the town. At least that's a storyline.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I would also like to know what the heck ever happened to Derek. The actor does not appear to have done anything since this show so it's not like he left to play something else.

He is actually pretty busy, he seems to have moved to the presenting side - if you check out the "self" section of his IMDB. 

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0135471/#self

• Useful 1

I agree the French teacher looks too old for Stephanie.  During episode 1 of this season she also looked like she aged quite a bit since last year.  I don't know if it was the hair or makeup.  And what's up with her having a new love interest every year?  Also, does Cassie still run Bell, Book and Candle? She's never there any more and I miss it.  I always felt they had her juggling too many things -- Grey House, the shop and then teaching. And yeah, you couldn't miss the sexual tension between Joy and the firefighter.  I was surprised since it is the Hallmark Channel.  I also agree they need to bring back the Magic.

• Love 1

Thanks @jada.  That's interesting and I never think to look at the "self" portion of IMDB.  Who knew he was on food shows so much?!

Okay, I seem to be in the minority - I thought the writing has gotten BETTER this season and the last one.  (Not that it's GOOD, mind you, just better than it was when I swear none of the writers had seen one of the movies or an episode of the t.v. show.) 

I think that what Hallmark meant when they said they were bringing the magic back was just that the show was coming back.  (Then again, I never saw the promo.) It was just their marketing tag, maybe written by someone not familiar with the show.

Is that a new actor playing the son?  And @iMonrey I agree with your post, and we both think George is a serial killer hiding bodies in the basement.  Well, now we know he goes to that church and volunteers once a month, we know where the bodies are buried! Hmmmm...just realized...George CAN'T let them move or tear down the church because they'd find the bodies!

I liked the flashbacks this time.  I think it was an effort to fill in some of the gaps we've complained about between the movies and the t.v. show.  Though, I had some of the same questions about Abigail, but think that she just came back for visits for ocassions like Cassie's baby shower.  Good point though, from the poster above about her having to be introduced to everyone at the start of the t.v. show.

So, I note that many t.v. shows have two main story threads going and show one on the first week, and the other every other show.  So, next week we will get back to the hospital administrator. (Maybe?)

Wonder if Bailey Madison filmed her telephone call cameo before she left the show?

Agree that the new French teacher looks like a high school kid. Ugh. 

Agree that the new French teacher looks like a high school kid. Ugh. 

The actor who plays him (Luke Bilyk) is 27. As of this year. He might have been 26 when this was filmed. IMDb doesn't say how old Kylee Evans (Stephanie) is, but she's been on this show for seven seasons now and she wasn't a teenager when it started. Nor was she a teenager when Grace was born - apparently! So, how old is she supposed to be? In her 40s? Grace is 18 or 19 now. 

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

The actor who plays him (Luke Bilyk) is 27. As of this year. He might have been 26 when this was filmed. IMDb doesn't say how old Kylee Evans (Stephanie) is, but she's been on this show for seven seasons now and she wasn't a teenager when it started. Nor was she a teenager when Grace was born - apparently! So, how old is she supposed to be? In her 40s? Grace is 18 or 19 now. 

She definitely looks like she’s in her late 40s and he looks like a child. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Kylee Evans was born on September 26, 1993, so 28...

Well, then it's absurd they stuck her in the flashbacks when Cassie was pregnant with Grace, because she would only have been about 10 years old! What the heck were they thinking?

• LOL 2
12 hours ago, hmldy said:

28!!!! I am shocked. Either “somebody” is lying or there was a mistake in her birth date  or she really has an old face😳

• Love 4
(edited)
15 hours ago, hmldy said:

I think she is older than 28, if she was 28 - she would be shouting it from the roof tops! the site reporting that she is 27/28, doesn't seem reputable. She is married to Sandy Jobin-Bevans. Here's an interview with him saying they met in 2004, if she was born in 1993 that would make her 11 at the time they met. Her husband is 49. I think she is not too far off from his age. 

Edited by jada
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, jada said:

I think she is older than 28, if she was 28 - she would be shouting it from the roof tops! the site reporting that she is 27/28, doesn't seem reputable. She is married to Sandy Jobin-Bevans. Here's an interview with him saying they met in 2004, if she was born in 1993 that would make her 11 at the time they met. Her husband is 49. I think she is not too far off from his age. 

More like 48 -- that I would believe!

• Love 2

Wow!  She's 28?  Like everyone else, I'm finding that very hard to believe.  I though she was the same age as Catherine Bell.  I think she needs a makeup artist and hair stylist STAT because she looks much older than her age. And are we to believe she was 21 when she first started on this series?  Sorry, I don't believe it.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, jada said:

Huh, interesting. So, her real-life husband played her ex-husband on Good Witch for a couple of episodes. Agreed with everyone that Kylee Evans is most likely in her 40s. IMDB has her playing adult roles all the way back to 2004. She's very attractive, but it was clear that she started doing Botox/fillers a few seasons back. Thankfully, she didn't go for the plumped up lips like Catherine Bell!

The timeline on this show is completely wonky! Unless I misheard, they said something in this last ep about Cassie's baby shower for Grace being 21 years ago. That being the case, we're to believe that Abigail was a successful, award-winning advertising exec in NYC two-plus decades ago? Um, okay. Even if Abigail was in her mid-twenties when Grace was born (and that's a super big stretch since she was supposedly at the top of her game in NYC at the time), then she'd be well into her 40s now. Sarah Power is turning 36 this month, and Abigail is acting like she and Donovan have all the time in the world to get married and have kids, which would NOT be the case if she was in her 40s. Silly, Hallmark, your viewers CAN do math!

I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised by Joy having heart eyes for the pretty cop. Having one of the heroines on Good Witch be gay and in a romantic relationship would be a huge step forward for the channel. I was trying to remember if we'd been given any indication of Joy's dating preferences in the past and all I could come up with was that she had sort of a hate/flirty thing going with the contractor she was working on Martha's house with. They had zero chemistry, so I wasn't shocked when he disappeared. I did wonder about Joy and her friend/business partner from college. That woman seemed very territorial and jealous in regards to Joy, so I wonder if we're going to find out that she and Joy were an item at one time or if the partner had romantic feelings for Joy that she didn't return?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Even if Abigail was in her mid-twenties when Grace was born (and that's a super big stretch since she was supposedly at the top of her game in NYC at the time), 

And yet when we first met her in The Good Witch's Family she was being evicted from her apartment.

I was trying to remember if we'd been given any indication of Joy's dating preferences in the past and all I could come up with was that she had sort of a hate/flirty thing going with the contractor she was working on Martha's house with. 

They were definitely setting him up as a love interest for her. Ironically, he's now a love interest for one of the witches on the Charmed reboot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 6/1/2021 at 7:49 AM, greekmom said:

I would love it if an evil sorcerer came to shake things up and the three Good Witches would need to protect the town. At least that's a storyline.

They kind of covered that plot with the sinister man who came to town claiming to be the “true” heir to Grey House. Through most of the show, they tried to imply he had “powers”, but it turned out he was just a snoop and a con artist. 

• Love 4

Yeah, that was disappointing.  Still no magic.

As Hallmark shows go, this is a pleasant little town with pleasant people doing pleasant things.  But I for one expect more from it.  I fell in love because of the movies, and the show has moved so far from that it is pretty unrecognizable.

Now it is just a nice way to pass time, but frustrating if we are expecting something else.  I am trying to adjust my expectations, and just watch it for what it is.

• Love 4

And we really didn't need two Marthas - they have truly run out of storylines. The episode was such a chore to watch - especially Martha's storyline. 

First Casey had enough money to buy handwritten Paul McCartney lyrics, now someone in Middleton is just giving away perfectly preserved Mesopotamian tablets? 

And Martha 2.O's date from when she was a teenager just happens to be attending this village event even though he lives in Texas....

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I USED to love this show with the original husband of Cassie, her step kids and Grace.  Don’t like James Denton at all—-he looks anorexic and old—I tolerated Abigail, but I don’t like witch #3, Joy.  Martha has always been OK, so for me she’s not a problem, but I wish her husband would have more stories.  I don’t know why, but Adam bugs the crap out of me. I’ve also liked George a lot, but they pretty much dumped him—-and where’s his girlfriend?  I don’t know why they felt the need to bring in a gay storyline (well, yes I do), but it’s not like this is something that is really germaine to any of the stories.  I’d rather see more POC than anything else.  But I guess blacks, Asians or Hispanics don’t live in a quaint white tiny town. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Am I the only one who thinks the French teacher is a really smarmy jerk?  Of course Stephanie is going to fall for him.

Well, he did provide me with a snort/laugh when Stephanie said she was a "little" older than he was, and he responded with "a lot older".

Edited by treeofdreams
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

The gimmick of Martha having an identical twin cousin is lower than I expect even this show to stoop. But how on earth could they have been rivals for Tom's affection back in high school? We know Martha went to high school in Middleton because she and Dotty Davenport fought over the homecoming queen crown or some such title. If Martha's cousin used to live in Middleton why does she have such a pronounced Texas accent? Usually only people born and raised in Texas would talk that way.

Also, if they've been holding grudges against each other all these years then why would the cousin be sending gifts to Martha's kids much less fly all the way Middleton to see one of her grandchildren?

Have we established why there is a full sized gymnasium inside Sam's hospital? Or is it supposed to be somewhere else? And is having a pre-surgery basketball routine advisable for a surgeon? Especially one who is - to put it delicately - getting on in years?

Everything about Joy and this new girl and Stephanie and this new guy is tedious. And I'm only just barely tolerating Abigail and Donovan.

The show has really forgotten its roots and isn't earning its own name.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I did like one thing about the episode and that was that Sam was pissed at the stupid chaplain who was involved in him getting hurt. His petulant attitude is spot on for a big time doctor. He should be mad at him. When he was just shooting around he didn’t get hurt. I just don’t get why he was playing at all. It is the easiest thing in the world to jam your finger playing basketball.

I am just glad he blames someone else for his mistake. It makes him much more human and relatable.

40 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Have we established why there is a full sized gymnasium inside Sam's hospital? Or is it supposed to be somewhere else? And is having a pre-surgery basketball routine advisable for a surgeon? Especially one who is - to put it delicately - getting on in years?

Another Sam storyline that is completely unconnected to the rest of the show.  Do Denton and Bell have some sort of bad connection where they don't want to work together?  Even when they are (briefly) together it is hard to imagine them as loving each other.  And the storylines they have given him seem like something they are throwing in to keep him on the show so they don't have to explain his disappearance.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Speaking of Derek / Noah Cappe, I tuned in a few minutes ago to a couple of minutes of Guy’s Grocery Games on Food Network and there Noah is — judging!  I’ve never seen him on FN before but apparently he has (had) a show called Carnival Eats?  Great to see him — so cute and fun.  Loved him (and frankly, that whole early cast) on Good Witch.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 6/6/2021 at 12:01 PM, treeofdreams said:

Tonight's episode:

"Sam is excited to perform surgery on a star basketball player; Joy makes a discovery and decides to revive the Middleton Exchange tradition."

Hate watching at this point until it is cancelled.  Denton & Bell have Zero chemistry.  I just like looking at the looks of a quaint town, rich people’s homes, the friendships, that type of fantasy viewing. Since that is not my life at all.  Too bad the storylines suck & I don’t care for most of the characters. 😀

• Love 3
5 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Hate watching at this point until it is cancelled.  Denton & Bell have Zero chemistry.  I just like looking at the looks of a quaint town, rich people’s homes, the friendships, that type of fantasy viewing. Since that is not my life at all.  Too bad the storylines suck & I don’t care for most of the characters. 😀

I agree with most of this (I am not hate watching, but watching more out of habit.)

There are not only too many storylines, but some of them seem just randomly stuck in without being connected to anything.  Sam's injury, the old chapel, Martha and her sister, etc.  I wish they would have fewer storylines and at least have some connection between them all.

With so many storylines, only a few brief moments are given to each one.  It's hard to care about the characters when we see so little of them.

What seems meant to be the main storyline of the season is that symbol of protection, but so far we are given about two minutes per episode just to have it briefly mentioned and them move on to a bunch of meaningless other storylines that just clutter up the show.

All told, rather disappointing for what started out as a good series of movies.

• Love 4

Yeah, this show is pretty much, I don’t know, tofu. Just a block of flavorless protein. At least tofu is healthy. This show? I don’t even know why I watch anymore. I agree that Catherine Bell and James Denton have zero chemistry. We’re expected to believe Sam and Cassie love each other because the show tells us to. What was with the Cassie-doesn’t-know-what-Sam-needs nonsense? She put a freaking Mesopotamian tablet in the exchange for the Patty Duke cousin’s high school blind date but can’t figure out that Sam just wants to pout and lick his wounds for a bit? Is it even legal to have a Mesopotamian tablet?

I’m not bothered by the age difference between Stephanie and the French teacher, but it would be better if they had chemistry. 

No one on this show ever has chemistry (all English majors, maybe?). It’s Hallmark so I don’t expect my tv to go up in flames every time a couple is on screen, but geez. Maybe try just a little harder to create believable adult relationships rather than giving off a vibe of 7th graders dividing the room by gender at their first dance...?

• Love 7
18 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Speaking of Derek / Noah Cappe, I tuned in a few minutes ago to a couple of minutes of Guy’s Grocery Games on Food Network and there Noah is — judging!  I’ve never seen him on FN before but apparently he has (had) a show called Carnival Eats?  Great to see him — so cute and fun.  Loved him (and frankly, that whole early cast) on Good Witch.

His Carnival Eats has been on a few years.  Love watching him as he’s so fun and charming. I would love for him to be back on GW.  

• Love 2

I was sort of heartened, but mostly disappointed with Cassie's bonsai tree plot.  Yes, it was a device for her to spark Sam's realization of the blocked artery. BUT! They missed a chance for her callback to magic regarding plants.  She used to kind of be able to communicate with them and seemed to know what they were "thinking" or "feeling."  This just seemed like an educated guess.  Bummer.  

• Love 5
On 6/8/2021 at 5:52 PM, Cowgirl said:

I was sort of heartened, but mostly disappointed with Cassie's bonsai tree plot.  Yes, it was a device for her to spark Sam's realization of the blocked artery. 

Maybe I put too much thought into these things.  Please put up with my ramblings for a moment.  I currently have a shoulder problem.  I am not a athlete, but I do live in a major metropolitan area that has major sports teams.  My doctor sent me to the big city hospital and I saw an orthopaedist who was a shoulder specialist in the practice that the athletes go to.  The waiting room was full of team logos and everything just in case I wasn't aware of this. So when Sam, all around surgeon, in a small town hospital, announced he was operating on a basketball player who supposedly was a superstar I had to wonder what sort of idiots the writers thought we were to believe that things like this happen.  But then again, they also thought that we'd believe in a curse with a huge cracked ruby, and everything else they've thrown at us through he years.  Quick question -- What was the thing with the blocked artery.  Had there been any mention of the basketball player (I'm horrible with names) having a heart problem or was that pulled out the air?

Can we talk about that heirloom baby blanket for a minute?  I knew it was going to be in that llama.  We all knew it was going to be in that llama.  But didn't we all think it was going to to a beautifully hand stitched quilt or some sort of piece of embroidery? Instead it looked like the something made from boxed kit I used to learn to crochet with when I was 12.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

All of Sam's storylines seem odd and usually make him out to be some kind of hero, which is why I think he is writing those himself and they are using them to keep him happy to stay on the show so Cassie won't have to lose another husband.  

I didn't get a good look at the baby blanket, but I am willing to believe it is important not because it is anything of quality but because of its sentimental value to the family.

• Love 1
On 6/8/2021 at 2:40 PM, sharifa70 said:

Yeah, this show is pretty much, I don’t know, tofu. Just a block of flavorless protein. At least tofu is healthy. This show? I don’t even know why I watch anymore.

You've hit the nail on the head with the tofu comment. I'm questioning myself.

It was bothering me where i have seen that French teacher then I looked him up and he's a kid from Degrassi. Geez. The kid is what? 27? 30?  Stephanie has to be pushing close to 45-50.  While there is nothing wrong with a May/December relationship (see Hallmark is hip, kewl and with it ) it just doesn't seem organic - like Sam and Cassie's relationship.

Please Hallmark. Just kill the show.

• Love 5

Tonight's episode:

"Joy's dream sends the three Merriwicks on a search for Phillip Harper, Joy's father."

Should I get my hopes up that they are finally moving in a magical direction?  Will they finally give this storyline more than two minutes in this episode?

We'll see...

• LOL 1