Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

1 minute ago, MaKaM said:

They should split the jump into the flight and landing portions. That way you can get goe for good air position and landing. And if you fall, you still get some credit for the flight part but nothing for the landing.

Isn't that what happens in the skiing/snowboard events? I think that's a good idea.

• Love 2

Uno’s was my fave performance of the medal winners. His absolute commitment to the music and ability to fill out the ice is wonderful to watch. 

I wonder if Hanyu is even considering retirement yet? He’s still young-ish, though will really be pushing it—for an elite male singles skater— by the time the Beijing Olympics roll around. Particularly if the technical content demands remain at their current level for men who want to medal in singles. 

• Love 3

Good for Nathan Chen, he did fantastic.  For the next four years I bet commentators will be saying "if only, what might have been" every time he skates.  

Just like Lillehammer, what's the name of the girl who went right after Tonya and the broken lace?  She completely biffed and the commentators all blamed Tonya, they said that this girl was ready to go and her concentration was completely broken by the delay and it obviously affected her.  Whatever.  If she was mentally focused it wouldn't have affected her.  But for years, every time this girl took the ice the commentators would invariably say the same exact thing, "she skated after Tonya Harding in Lillehammer and was delayed, oh what might have been".

I feel like the same is going to dog Nathan Chen until the next Olympics.  "If only he hadn't gone after Hanyu and hadn't been delayed by all the stuffed animals, le sigh."

• Love 5
1 minute ago, blackwing said:

Good for Nathan Chen, he did fantastic.  For the next four years I bet commentators will be saying "if only, what might have been" every time he skates.  

Just like Lillehammer, what's the name of the girl who went right after Tonya and the broken lace?  She completely biffed and the commentators all blamed Tonya, they said that this girl was ready to go and her concentration was completely broken by the delay and it obviously affected her.  Whatever.  If she was mentally focused it wouldn't have affected her.  But for years, every time this girl took the ice the commentators would invariably say the same exact thing, "she skated after Tonya Harding in Lillehammer and was delayed, oh what might have been".

I feel like the same is going to dog Nathan Chen until the next Olympics.  "If only he hadn't gone after Hanyu and hadn't been delayed by all the stuffed animals, le sigh."

Josie Chuinard! Oh, that magneta and orange outfit with the inexplicable matching gloves...

• Love 2

And here's a tweet with a video of that lovely moment with the medalists.

UGH, Andrea just asked Nathan if he was asking "what if?" about the short. SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP! Of course that's in his mind, you graceless ghoul.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 14
49 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

By the way, why do they throw Pooh bear?  Is Hanyu a fan?

I read he has a Pooh bear that's his good luck charm but he was not allowed to bring it to the Olympic competitions due to Olympic sponsor issues. Fans decided that's not on, thus the rain of Pooh bears. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Snow Apple said:

I read he has a Pooh bear that's his good luck charm but he was not allowed to bring it to the Olympic competitions due to Olympic sponsor issues. Fans decided that's not on, thus the rain of Pooh bears. 

They're going overboard but that's actually very sweet. 

• Love 12

Quick question not directly related to the Men's competition. Does anyone know why the Loop is known in Europe alone as the Rittberger? I was watching the Dutch feed a few days ago and I heard the commentator say it, it hit me that I never hear it called that in the US commentaries.

Edited by galaxygirl76

I have some mixed feelings about Chen tonight. (Please correct me if needed though, my situation tonite only allowed me to get bits/pieces of other skaters). I was on the Nathan Chen train and got caught up in his publicity.  After his team performance I felt it was too much pressure, pushy reporters shoving microphones in his face basically saying "you sucked what happened? " and I was all he's 18, too much, nerves etc..I hoped for him in the short but same happened. I loved him tonight, he fought back, got control, unfortunately too late. Like another on this board I want him to remember he WON the free program...unfortunately it's like winning the popular vote to Hilary. I too wish there was medal for short, medal for free then overall medal for total, but there is not.

The thing that got to me was the way Nathan left so quickly last night and then once he saw he was off the podium, the coat went on and he left. I think he should watch all the other skaters, learn from them and see their achievements and failures, don't just leave. Don't act like Tom Brady and be a bad sport by not shaking their hands. They could all take lessons from the Pairs teams, when the Germans finally knew that had the.gold, Canada and Japan were so generous with their well wishes.  My wish for you nathan is to take till.2022, to work study, grow in mindset,sportsmanship.and come back the great skating man we know you can be.  (Once.again if I missed something and remarked incorrectly, please let me know)  looking forward to the dancers and ladies now.

• Love 3

Raining Pooh!  No Chan-flation!  No Skating-While-(Not)-Russian bonus!  Redemption for Nathan!  Three Americans in Top Ten!  Chinese skater almost wins!  First skating medal for Spain!  Sexy Spaniard!  Pretty, pretty Uno!  So many good things tonight.

• Love 17
2 minutes ago, Poohbear617 said:

I have some mixed feelings about Chen tonight. (Please correct me if needed though, my situation tonite only allowed me to get bits/pieces of other skaters). I was on the Nathan Chen train and got caught up in his publicity.  After his team performance I felt it was too much pressure, pushy reporters shoving microphones in his face basically saying "you sucked what happened? " and I was all he's 18, too much, nerves etc..I hoped for him in the short but same happened. I loved him tonight, he fought back, got control, unfortunately too late. Like another on this board I want him to remember he WON the free program...unfortunately it's like winning the popular vote to Hilary. I too wish there was medal for short, medal for free then overall medal for total, but there is not.

The thing that got to me was the way Nathan left so quickly last night and then once he saw he was off the podium, the coat went on and he left. I think he should watch all the other skaters, learn from them and see their achievements and failures, don't just leave. Don't act like Tom Brady and be a bad sport by not shaking their hands. They could all take lessons from the Pairs teams, when the Germans finally knew that had the.gold, Canada and Japan were so generous with their well wishes.  My wish for you nathan is to take till.2022, to work study, grow in mindset,sportsmanship.and come back the great skating man we know you can be.  (Once.again if I missed something and remarked incorrectly, please let me know)  looking forward to the dancers and ladies now.

Hmm well I noticed that the body language between Nathan Chen and Vincent Zhou was not particularly warm either. I don't think Nathan Chen is a warm and cuddly guy. Which is okay -- most competitive athletes are not warm and cuddly at all. I think the issue is that Yuzuru Hanyu and Javier Fernandez ARE extremely warm and effusive people which made for a rather awkward distinction between Nathan and the leaders.  

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Poohbear617 said:

The thing that got to me was the way Nathan left so quickly last night and then once he saw he was off the podium, the coat went on and he left. I think he should watch all the other skaters, learn from them and see their achievements and failures, don't just leave. Don't act like Tom Brady and be a bad sport by not shaking their hands. They could all take lessons from the Pairs teams, when the Germans finally knew that had the.gold, Canada and Japan were so generous with their well wishes.  

I wasn’t aware he left. I don’t know why he left. There’s a key difference though between Nathan leaving the short and the pairs being gracious after the free. Nathan still had work to do. Maybe it was coping with his emotions, maybe it was reviewing the tape, maybe he could get some practice in somewhere, or maybe he needed to rest. Football players don’t shake hands at halftime. 

ETA: I only addressed last night. As someone else pointed out, he left the area designated for the top 3 after getting knocked out of the top 3. Totally out of his control.

Edited by Dots And Stripes
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Hmm well I noticed that the body language between Nathan Chen and Vincent Zhou was not particularly warm either. I don't think Nathan Chen is a warm and cuddly guy. 

I noticed that too. They seemed really frosty. I don't expect them to be all fakey-fake huggy and gushy the way the gymnastics girls are, but looking at the two of them you'd never guess in a million years they were on the same team. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I noticed that too. They seemed really frosty. I don't expect them to be all fakey-fake huggy and gushy the way the gymnastics girls are, but looking at the two of them you'd never guess in a million years they were on the same team. 

I mean, they're not. Figure skating really is an individual sport. I also think the "he just left" is assuming a lot of disdain that probably is not there. He might have had to go pee in his cup or start on his media duties once he was bounced from the green room. Should he have gone into the stands? Did any one do that or was Nathan the only one required to achieve that standard? 

Edited by MaKaM
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I also don;t think I've even seen Adam Rippon anywhere near Nathan or Vincent this whole competition. Hmm. I wouldn't be surprised if there's been some tension on the men's team considering the way Rippon was selected over Ross Miner and how he's become the media darling. As for Nathan and Vincent that was really weird, there wasn't even any eye contact between them the whole time and Nathan was on his phone and barely acknowledged Vincent's presence. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Yeah, that was weird. Terry actually made a quick quip about it.  It was almost like they didn't even know each other. It was very uncomfortable when the camera flashed to them. 

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, Souris said:

And here's a tweet with a video of that lovely moment with the medalists.

UGH, Andrea just asked Nathan if he was asking "what if?" about the short. SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP! Of course that's in his mind, you graceless ghoul.

Omg. Leave him alone

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

I also don;t think I've even seen Adam Rippon anywhere near Nathan or Vincent this whole competition.

The behind-the-scenes camera caught Adam walking up to Nathan and giving him a high five followed by a hug.  It didn't look overly warm but the gesture happened. 

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

I also don;t think I've even seen Adam Rippon anywhere near Nathan or Vincent this whole competition. Hmm. I wouldn't be surprised if there's been some tension on the men's team considering the way Rippon was selected over Ross Miner and how he's become the media darling. As for Nathan and Vincent that was really weird, there wasn't even any eye contact between them the whole time and Nathan was on his phone and barely acknowledged Vincent's presence. 

Don’t Nathan and Adam train together? I think Adam has said Nathan is like his younger brother. I don’t read much into how they interact at competitions. Nathan is not particularly emotive off the ice and they all have a lot going at competitions. Small talk is not a priority. 

• Love 11
25 minutes ago, Poohbear617 said:

He had to leave tho. It's top 3 and he wasn't in top 3 anymore. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

NBC showed a small clip of Adam giving Nathan a high five and a hug to acknowledge Nathan's achievement. I don't know what's going on with Nathan and Vincent through.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

As for Nathan and Vincent that was really weird, there wasn't even any eye contact between them the whole time and Nathan was on his phone and barely acknowledged Vincent's presence. 

As an old fogie, I like to imagine the youngins only interact via Snapchat and Twitter (you can replace this with any messaging/photo/video app that I probably have never used) even when they're in the same room. 

• Love 4

After Nathan got booted from the room, where was he supposed to go? Maybe he stayed and watched the rest of the competition but he had to leave. I felt so bad for the Chinese skater who had to sit in the room and watch everyone around him celebrate. That is such a crappy position to be in.

Did they keep a camera on Vincent and Nathan the whole time? Maybe they were talking for a bit when nobody else was looking. As long as they aren’t badmouthing each other, what are they supposed to do? Can’t people just be without being critiqued for every single thing they do. I was typing on this board while watching the skate- does that make me less interested or excited for these skaters? 

• Love 22
3 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Adam and Nathan train together and are really close. Everyone pretty much keeps to themselves while the competition is still going on, regardless if you've skated or not. Nathan and Vincent looked weird, but I wouldn't read too much into it. They probably didn't want to be captured too much on camera since you never know when they're going live, and they were probably both wondering if/how well their scores would hold up.

• Love 17

Thanks for those photos of Adam and Nathan together. Nathan looks so different off the ice or actually outside of competitions. Looks like a regular teenager. I swear being in Pyeonchang seemed to have aged him 10 years. There was so much tension written all over his face and body language.

• Love 9

Highlight of the evening for me (notwithstanding that there was also some truly great skating): the livestream of the "reception room" immediately after the results were announced. Papa-hen Brian Orser brooding proudly over his two oh-so-different gold and bronze chickens, and then those two, who clearly have formed a real bond during all their years of training, immediately enfolding young Shomo - who looked endearingly bewildered and wide-eyed - into all their hugs, and shepherding him through the ceremonies afterwards.

And I'm so glad Nathan Chen got his rousing redemption moment, and Patrick got his chance to leave competitive skating behind with gentle dignity and not the humiliation so many ill-natured people seem to wish on him. Now he can bring the magic of his blade mastery to professional shows, as Browning did before him, and I hope he finds the same growth and fulfilment in that arena.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, hjmugillecuty said:

Guys, I'm a little nervous. All the people I was chanting "Fall,fall,fall" at, fell. I don't know what to do with this power.

Well, Annndrea, I can’t explain  witchcraft.

*But, I can. It’s like John Edwards asking if there’s someone there who has a person of significance with the first initial M. You could chant fall, fall, fall at almost anyone doing a quad and see your power manifest right before your eyes. (But, as long as they spun around four times before they did, your curse is reversed).

Edited by methadonna
My Adamismgenerator needs a tuneup
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

Javier is dating Miki Ando. How's that for #winning?

NO!  He's supposed to grow six inches and date ME!  (I'm 6'2", what can I say?)

Wonderful free skates by Yuzu, Shoma, Javi, Boyang, and Nathan (winning the free skate in dominating fashion – damn, boy!!), and I think the podium ended up exactly the way it should've based on everyone's skates (even though I was pulling for a silver for Javi).  Fantastic stuff, gentlemen, and I thank you!

• Love 9

Patrick Chan got 4th in Skating Skills. Whether you believe in Chanflation or not, that's farcical. This is the same PCS misapplication that happens in dance- P/C should be behind all three of V/M, S/S and H/D in that component. The judges basically use PCS as an extension of the TES when there's a reason they're separate. If you don't judge according to what's on the ice you've basically got 6.0 with bigger numbers.

Kolyada's PCS are outrageous.

Nathan made me cry. So glad he got that moment.

Edited by herbz
  • Love 10

I’m watching older skates because I miss Uncle Dickie, and he really knew when to Shut The Heck Up and let the artistry & music take you away.  These announcers talk talk talk.  “There’s a triple triple here”.   “The first of their four quads are coming up.”  “So and so’s coach/family/friends must be so proud/worried/upset/happy”.

Andrea’s always been the worst, though I am surprised that even Peggy Fleming talked over Uncle Dickie on occasion.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, healthnut said:

I’m kind of salty about Hubbell/Donahue and Cappellini/Lanotte getting in the final group over the Shibs. 

Groups for the SD are done strictly by World Standings, which massively favour Europeans come Olympic time because they count the European Championships as part of the points total. H/D are in that group because they took part in Senior B comps while the Shibs didn't. They currently stand 4th in the world with the Shibs in 6th. It's not a massively logical system tbh. Definitely not ideal for the Shibs, because scores do seem to go up over the course of the event- looking at the PCS from the team and the starting order I am seriously wondering what they're planning on doing with B/S.

Marie France and Patrice have quite the juggling act on their hands with their three teams back to back. 

Edited by herbz
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Poohbear617 said:

The thing that got to me was the way Nathan left so quickly last night and then once he saw he was off the podium, the coat went on and he left. I think he should watch all the other skaters, learn from them and see their achievements and failures, don't just leave.

I did notice during the short program that Nathan was in the arena watching the early groups instead of warming up backstage like everyone else. 

• Love 2

Th closeness of the scores between Bobrova/Soloviev and the Shibs in the team event, particularly in the PCS, has me concerned. If the judges find a way to put B/S ahead of whichever US team is highest ranked in the competition, I’ll be miffed. 

And watching NBC’s morning show just now, they showed Nathan Chen’s parents off to the side while Nathan’s being interviewed—what sorcery is happening there?! They do not look like people old enough to have an 18 year old kid! 

• Love 4
Just now, specialj67 said:

Th closeness of the scores between Bobrova/Soloviev and the Shibs in the team event, particularly in the PCS, has me concerned. If the judges find a way to put B/S ahead of whichever US team is highest ranked in the competition, I’ll be miffed. 

And watching NBC’s morning show just now, they showed Nathan Chen’s parents off to the side while Nathan’s being interviewed—what sorcery is happening there?! They do not look like people old enough to have an 18 year old kid! 

I am v concerned that's exactly what they're going to do. One judge had B/S two points higher in PCS in the FD. That is entirely unjustifiable. And H/D do not have a fantastic record of consistency.

• Love 3

I don't think the Shibs can afford to make even the smallest mistake. C/B's FD has been outscoring theirs all season. At the TE. B/S were less than a point behind in the SD and they had the PCS in the FD. I don't get that. I understand H/D being close to them in scores, but C/B and B/S?

They are still my pick for the podium, but it's going to be really close and if they give the judges a reason to dump them here, they will.

Edited by Vera
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, specialj67 said:

They have four other kids who are older than Nathan! 

Are you sure it wasn’t his siblings?

Edited by Jeddah
  • Love 3

I missed Vincent last night. Hopefully it’ll be on YouTube soon. 

Adam skated as well and still didn’t crack the top 5- again, this to me emphasizes that he shouldn’t have been on the team. 

It would have been great if Nathan had pulled out a bronze, but he still did incredible in the long.

23 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

I just don't see it happening for the ShibSibs. I follow them on social media and they seem like the nicest, funniest people. However their skating doesn't do much for me. Coldplay three years in a row? 

They didn't do Coldplay last year. Their short was the Sinatra/hip hop mashup and their free was some slower classical piece.

• Love 2