Type keyword(s) to search

Media: All for You

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

https://www.vulture.com/article/penn-badgley-profile.html

Badgley admits that he detests Joe. He doesn’t want viewers to root for him; he wants to push them toward a deeper consideration of You’s themes and the societal myths that allow men like Joe to get away with violence toward women. Badgley plays him as a winsome Everyman when forced to talk to other people but drops into a weasel-like scowl as soon as he knows no one’s watching or gets too impatient to control his impulses.

• Love 9
On 8/31/2021 at 5:46 AM, arc said:

It is difficult when the person (especially male type person) you are supposed to hate is very very pretty.   I think that might be the subtle point a lot  of people (especially young female people) are missing.    They want to marry Joe and are completely blind to the fact he is a genuine psychopath.   

I mean that’s why I like him.   When it comes to television I find “good guys” boring,  I like a good downward spiral.   But I also like a good redemption arc.   

But “You” at least to me is a psychological profile of a narcissistic psychopath who is overly pretentious and never happy with his life and treats women like they are prizes to be won.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

They want to marry Joe and are completely blind to the fact he is a genuine psychopath.   

Sadly, there are women who are looking for a man they can "save", as long as that man is attractive. It's all those romance novels and movies that taught young girls that true love can fix a terrible man and you are a very special girl if you are the one who can get the terrible man to change. 

I love watching Joe because he's a fascinating character that I would never, never want to know IRL, Penn is a very good looking man, so that makes it easier to watch him of course, but while I may have a crush on the actor, I have zero crush on Joe. He's a psychopath, a murderer and a master manipulator. Those are actually three turn offs for me no matter how good looking the guy might be. 

It must be frustration for the actor because Joe is a great, juicy role to play but he is in no way meant to be a romantic hero yet you can't stop fangirls from fanning. 

• Love 5

The blonde woman seems a bit older, which would be an interesting departure for Joe. Maybe because he's a father now?

I like that the trailer implies the season is really focused on Joe and Love's marriage though. We've seen him stalk two women already; spending a lot of screentime on his stalking of his latest target would be a total retread.

• Love 1
On 9/21/2021 at 1:08 PM, Black Knight said:

The blonde woman seems a bit older, which would be an interesting departure for Joe. Maybe because he's a father now?

I like that the trailer implies the season is really focused on Joe and Love's marriage though. We've seen him stalk two women already; spending a lot of screentime on his stalking of his latest target would be a total retread.

Could she be his mom?

1 hour ago, Atlanta said:

Could she be his mom?

She doesn't look that much older, just more fully adult than Joe's usual fare of young 20-something women. When he was with Candace, they were about the same age, but after Candace, he grew older but kept going after women, in Beck and Love, who were around the age Candace was when they were together, which means the age gap between him and his fixations has kept growing. Beck was about five years younger, Love is about eight years younger. So to reverse direction to someone who seems to be around his own age, now that he is in his mid-30s, would be an interesting change. I've always thought each fixation is a reaction to what he perceives as the failures of the previous woman. Candace knew her own mind too much, so he tried a blank slate he thought he could mold in Beck. Beck proved to be less malleable than hoped, so then he tried someone who seemed to already be his perfect manic pixie dream girl. If he now is looking at an older woman (and by older I mean around his own mid-30s age), it could be because he's a father now, and/or because he probably feels Love is childish, in that she is tied to childhood patterns (like murdering people, being really entangled with her family, having impulse control issues).

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Seriously! I saw a headline and got excited it was pushed up to at least in January but no just 1 day lol.

Same. Same.  Tvline did whole stand-alone article about it and the first line of it was

Netflix is giving YOU — both the show and you as a person — something to be thankful for today.

I'm like "Dude, it is only one day!"  LOL. Not worthy of an entire ass article.

• Like 2

“Why does the universe keep doing this to me?”

Because you’re a terrible person, Joe.

Marianne is definitely the smartest of Joe’s victims. I would love it if she turned out to be the stalker and finished what Candice started.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

Can someone watch S4 without having watched any of the previous seasons?

It's designed to be a serialized show and previous seasons would add a lot of context.  

That said, we used to jump into the middle of series and seasons before streaming was a thing and then go back to find the reruns later.  So I think you technically could.  Plus, he moves every season to a new location so a lot of the characters are new every year but not having a previous season to use as a reference point will make it confusing when people from his past show up. 

5 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

It's designed to be a serialized show and previous seasons would add a lot of context.  

That said, we used to jump into the middle of series and seasons before streaming was a thing and then go back to find the reruns later.  So I think you technically could.  Plus, he moves every season to a new location so a lot of the characters are new every year but not having a previous season to use as a reference point will make it confusing when people from his past show up. 

Good to know. I’m starting now so I can watch Season 4 in real time with everyone. 

On 1/10/2023 at 7:38 AM, Scarlett45 said:

Good to know. I’m starting now so I can watch Season 4 in real time with everyone. 

I may need to review this a little before starting the new season.  I’m a little ambivalent about the new season.  Oh well, I may as well check it out.  

GMA had a story this morning that Penn Badgley requested not to do any more intimate scenes. Apparently he feels intimate/sex scenes disrupt his faithfulness to his wife of 5 years. In response, such scenes have been drastically reduced for S4. He stated that actually, he initially didn't want to do the show at all for this reason.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

GMA had a story this morning that Penn Badgley requested not to do any more intimate scenes. Apparently he feels intimate/sex scenes disrupt his faithfulness to his wife of 5 years. In response, such scenes have been drastically reduced for S4. He stated that actually, he initially didn't want to do the show at all for this reason.

Well, another big part of it is that he doesn’t like people romanticizing and fetishizing serial killers and had called out Netflix for their Dahmer and Bundy shows doing just that.

I don’t think it’s fair that people are dragging him for the fidelity comments. He has much right to set boundaries as anyone else; it’s not like he’s going Kirk Cameron on us. And they said it won’t really affect the show, so who cares?

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
7 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Well, another big part of it is that he doesn’t like people romanticizing and fetishizing serial killers and had called out Netflix for their Dahmer and Bundy shows doing just that.

I don’t think it’s fair that people are dragging him for the fidelity comments. He has much right to set boundaries as anyone else; it’s not like he’s going Kirk Cameron on us. And they said it won’t really affect the show, so who cares?

He has been consistent in not wanting to romanticize the depravity of his character.  There are several actors who limit intimacy/sex scenes in their work due to the potential harm to their real relationships-and that many actors fall in love with their scene partners. Although this season is very different than the previous ones, it does allow for them to develop other sides of Joe-and he did try to protect the kids in his life so he does go beyond just his current love interest.

I don't know why 'going Kirk Cameron' is a negative-his career has changed to reflect his religious/personal beliefs and is entitled to do so.  We can choose to support his career choices or not.  

If you've seen the season, they still imply intimacy. 

It does make me feel a little icky when an actor is all about limiting what they do for their marriage after agreeing to do the part instead of establishing those boundaries early on.  It also makes me think their marriage is a tad weak if they can't navigate this.  But even if it is, it's the kind of thing I find kind of silly to publicize.   Even though I agree with Penn on his POV about serial killers, I'm also a bit over it.

1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

I don't know why 'going Kirk Cameron' is a negative-his career has changed to reflect his religious/personal beliefs and is entitled to do so.  We can choose to support his career choices or not. 

There's a lot we could say about Kirk but I think the original criticism is that he converted to evangelical Christianity while on Growing Pains and started trying to force those beliefs on his fellow cast, essentially alienating them.  The worst alleged act he committed was getting his love interest fired because the actress had posed for Playboy a few times before she got her Growing Pains gig. 

• Like 3

I make no secret that I totally love Penn but --- why this press release?  This isn't anyone's business.  Why would any of us care?  He could have kept that between him and the showrunners.

It feels like a really unnecessarily dramatic overture to his wife.  Someone tweeted that he's likely trying to make up for cheating on her.  LOL. I have no idea and don't really care but I find Penn releasing this to the press so strange.

• Like 2

It wasn't a press release.  He has a podcast and he and his podcast partners were talking about S4 of You.  As podcasts go, it was pretty conversational and they were talking about what a departure S4 is.  How there didn't seem to be that longing/romantic central theme that characterized the other season and how they kinda struggled to bring this season together because it was conceptually different.  He also struggled with trying to explain some stuff without spoiling part 2. 

As a follow up, one of his fellow podcasters mentioned that there was less intimacy this season and she was aware of why, and  did he want to share.  That is when he talks about the marriage and fidelity.  To be fair, his answer is a little broader in that he said before he took the role in You he had been consciously steering his career path away from being a romantic lead.  He also said he had never mentioned that publicly, it was just a decision he made.  He said he just got to a point where he just didn't want to have to kiss people.  He also acknowledged that he signed a contract and that the romance and intimacy aspect was part of the DNA of the show and would abide by what the creators needed from him, but he made the ask and was accommodated.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

I've only watched the first episode of S4 -- after watching it, I'm not really interested in this season -- but in the teaser for this story, when GMA said PB had requested to limit certain scenes, my first thought was "well, he had no problem doing a scene where he gruesomely dismembered a body." To then find out he was talking about "intimacy" scenes, was kind of amusing. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
2 hours ago, Jillybean said:

I've only watched the first episode of S4 -- after watching it, I'm not really interested in this season -- but in the teaser for this story, when GMA said PB had requested to limit certain scenes, my first thought was "well, he had no problem doing a scene where he gruesomely dismembered a body." To then find out he was talking about "intimacy" scenes, was kind of amusing. 

Yeah, I saw comments on a reddit site, where they were talking about the morality line he didn't want to cross, involved sex, not stalking and murdering women. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

While I agree in general about the sex/violence disconnect, one difference to me is that he's not actually murdering/dismembering people, while he is actually kissing people. I don't mean that to sound flip, just pointing out that violence is usually simulated, while you can't CGI a kiss. Or if you can, it doesn't happen.

I don't need to know the reason he wants to limit sex scenes; I think it's enough for him to want to set boundaries. I also think that as a man he's getting more heat than a woman who asked for the same thing might get. I like that the show runners heard him and were on board with it without griping about how it stifles their creative vision or something.

I don't think the show has suffered having fewer sex scenes. It also seems like the violence has been dialed back somewhat, and that's not a bad thing.

• Like 6
39 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

While I agree in general about the sex/violence disconnect, one difference to me is that he's not actually murdering/dismembering people, while he is actually kissing people. I don't mean that to sound flip, just pointing out that violence is usually simulated, while you can't CGI a kiss. Or if you can, it doesn't happen.

I don't need to know the reason he wants to limit sex scenes; I think it's enough for him to want to set boundaries. I also think that as a man he's getting more heat than a woman who asked for the same thing might get. I like that the show runners heard him and were on board with it without griping about how it stifles their creative vision or something.

I don't think the show has suffered having fewer sex scenes. It also seems like the violence has been dialed back somewhat, and that's not a bad thing.

I have no problem with his not wanting to do sex or kissing scenes. I was just repeating what I'd seen somewhere else. I didn't finish season one, when it aired, because I'd read the book, and I hated Joe. I couldn't believe that people were crushing on him. I picked up season two, when people were talking about it, as season three started. A friend who is an astrologer, said it perfectly depicted a relationship between an Aries and a Scorpio. Stuff like that. 

When he had sex this season, if felt more like he was doing it to please the woman he was watching, not because he wanted to, so it felt off anyway. 

Edited by Anela
  • Like 1

Using 'fidelity is important to me' as a reason to limit sex scenes is just stupid seeing as Penn is an actor and so is his wife apparently.  The fake sex scenes are acting and part of their job, so.. just stupid.  But whatever.  This entire season is stupid and now coupled with this dumb shit from Penn I am now over both him and this show.  A complete 180 but that's what happens when shows start to suck and actors say stupid things. 

• Like 3
15 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I think him wanting to limit sex scenes is fine; stating his reasons have to do with fidelity to his wife or whatever is just dumb lol. If that's really it, keep it to yourself because it doesn't really come off well.

Agreed.  I don't care one way or the other that he doesn't want to do sex scenes. It is totally fine not to want to kiss or caress someone even when it is a job and everything is choreographed. 

I have never been on a movie set but have heard enough about the need to have intimacy coordinators on some sets to know that sometimes intimate scenes can get a little heated and may disregard previously agreed to choreography and standards. That some directors become over zealous and some actors feel they are not able to voice consent when they feel uncomfortable about an ask.  So it can go beyond just acting.  Using that reasoning would have been fine.  And In listening I think he glanced on that.  But I think using marital fidelity as a reason not to do love scenes just seems a little extra.

I think if he had kept it to himself nobody would have ever noticed his lack of love scenes.  But then again he probably thought he was just chatting on a relatively obscure podcast and didn't expect the likes of GMA to blow it up, LOL.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I think if he had kept it to himself nobody would have ever noticed his lack of love scenes.  But then again he probably thought he was just chatting on a relatively obscure podcast and didn't expect the likes of GMA to blow it up, LOL.

That's the funniest part about this for me. And it actually colored the way I viewed some scenes.  Maybe I'll go post that in the Ep. 3 thread. 

No one should care that Penn Badgley  doesn’t want to do sex scenes unless your sole reason for watching the show is watching Penn Badgley naked…..and that is sort of on you.  And yes he has every right to put boundaries on what he feels comfortable doing.  If he was a 18 year old girl saying that “she” was having too many romantic scenes with strange men I don’t think people would be upset but PB is a dude who is bringing marriage fidelity and religion into the conversation so that kinda irks a certain group of people and their response is  kinda off putting.    And PB has never been comfortable with the image in certain sectors that are romanticizing his character so maybe less actual romance is a good thing.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1