Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E05: The One You’ve Been Waiting For

Diane
  • Start Topic

I watched this again, and I liked it better than the first time which means it went from dreck to schlock YMMV

Anyway, I forgot to mention this in my first viewing but one thing that really pissed me off was the manner in which Dean and Sam were caught by the Nazi minions. I'm mostly directing it towards Dean's characterization because he went in first in both occasions with Sam trailing but consider my comments applicable to both Dean and Sam re their hunting tactics.

When Dean is not sure of what is on the other side of an entryway, a corner or a doorway, he stops, checks visually any open corner, gun at the ready, checks his peripherals AGAIN, and then goes through. At worst, he'll maybe take a step forward but he still checks all angles for danger. It's instinct for him because he HUNTS GHOSTS AND MONSTERS FFS and KNOWS the danger can be literally anywhere around him.

Yet, the writer/director and yes Jensen too, allowed Dean to abandon his decades long honed hunter/soldier tactics by just stepping through a doorway, gun pointed way out in front of him versus closer to him, and without even LOOKING both ways, all so the enemy can get the drop on them and 1) set up a brawl that only happens largely because Dean abandons his instinct for no reason and 2) have their guns taken away so Ellie can shoot someone with Sam's gun. Also, Dean doesn't kill Hitler with his own weapon.  BTW this is the 3rd time this season that someone else has taken their weapons allowing another person to use them for a kill. It's a strange pattern that I can't recall happening before. I am side-eying this and noting it for future reference.**

I seriously want to hear an explanation from someone be it Jensen/Jared/writer/director as to why Dean did the dumbest thing a hunter/soldier would do before entering an unknown, and unsecured dangerous space, when he never does that. Man, that really pisses me off.

**My only wank for Dean not using his own weapon is in the even someone figures out that Dean killed these guys it can't be traced back to Dean, but they apparently burned the bodies and I assume the weapons cache as well...soooo...

I am also thinking Mr. Ketch goes after Ellie, or the Necromancer's son they let go.

Edited by catrox14
27 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I watched this again, and I liked it better than the first time which means it went from dreck to schlock YMMV

Anyway, I forgot to mention this in my first viewing but one thing that really pissed me off was the manner in which Dean and Sam were caught by the Nazi minions. I'm mostly directing it towards Dean's characterization because he went in first in both occasions with Sam trailing but consider my comments applicable to both Dean and Sam re their hunting tactics.

When Dean is not sure of what is on the other side of an entryway, a corner or a doorway, he stops, checks visually any open corner, gun at the ready, checks his peripherals AGAIN, and then goes through. At worst, he'll maybe take a step forward but he still checks all angles for danger. It's instinct for him because he HUNTS GHOSTS AND MONSTERS FFS and KNOWS the danger can be literally anywhere around him.

Yet, the writer/director and yes Jensen too, allowed Dean to abandon his decades long honed hunter/soldier tactics by just stepping through a doorway, gun pointed way out in front of him versus closer to him, and without even LOOKING both ways, all so the enemy can get the drop on them and 1) set up a brawl that only happens largely because Dean abandons his instinct for no reason and 2) have their guns taken away so Ellie can shoot someone with Sam's gun. Also, Dean doesn't kill Hitler with his own weapon.  BTW this is the 3rd time this season that someone else has taken their weapons allowing another person to use them for a kill. It's a strange pattern that I can't recall happening before. I am side-eying this and noting it for future reference.**

I seriously want to hear an explanation from someone be it Jensen/Jared/writer/director as to why Dean did the dumbest thing a hunter/soldier would do before entering an unknown, and unsecured dangerous space, when he never does that. Man, that really pisses me off.

**My only wank for Dean not using his own weapon is in the even someone figures out that Dean killed these guys it can't be traced back to Dean, but they apparently burned the bodies and I assume the weapons cache as well...soooo...

I am also thinking Mr. Ketch goes after Ellie, or the Necromancer's son they let go.

Hunting skills are IMO like a Star Trek Transporter.  They fail at key dramatic moments.  Now, IMO, they could have EASILY fixed this with a better set up in the room.  The room opened up from door to a large warehouse type location.  A simple barrier (boxes, standing structure) etc... that allowed the bad guys cover when the boys moved in. Then they could come from behind (truly) vice the side.  The writer probably said "the Nazi's get the drop on the boys" as stage notes.  The director needed to block the scene better IMO. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
50 minutes ago, SueB said:

Hunting skills are IMO like a Star Trek Transporter.  They fail at key dramatic moments.  Now, IMO, they could have EASILY fixed this with a better set up in the room.  The room opened up from door to a large warehouse type location.  A simple barrier (boxes, standing structure) etc... that allowed the bad guys cover when the boys moved in. Then they could come from behind (truly) vice the side.  The writer probably said "the Nazi's get the drop on the boys" as stage notes.  The director needed to block the scene better IMO. 

IMO the boys hunting skills are much more reliable than a transporter which can fail mechanically, electronically or operator error.  IMO, Dean's hunter skills are practically  autonomic responses by this time of his life. Not only the hunting but Dean spent a GD year in Purgatory with monsters coming at him from all  sides 24/7.  I don't think that has just gone away.  IMO, even Drunk!Dean would not make such a rookie mistake. 

Dean getting caught by invisible trap, fine.  Sam getting knocked out cold because distracted by a phone call, less acceptable but not unbelievable. But Dean not appearing to even CONSIDER  there would be another minion in that room and just going in guns blazing is so stupid.  It's not badass because Dean is not an idiot when he hunts. That was idiotic. Once was bad enough, but Dean did it TWICE. WTF!!! 

Whilst I appreciate your efforts to make this more palatable, it doesn't really help. It's another example of Dean's ONE BIG THING that he's done better than anything else in his life being thrown away for the sake of plot.  If Sam had been going through the door first I would say the same thing.

3 hours ago, SueB said:

one thing that really pissed me off was the manner in which Dean and Sam were caught by the Nazi minions.

The very fact that they hung around so long to chat with the young girl like they had not a care in the world was ridiculous.  They said themselves that they had to get moving, and then they stuck around for the therapy session until the Nazis showed up.  Sam and Dean are excellent hunters...except when the writers need them to epically fail so they can further their plot.  It happens in just about every episode and I've pretty much gotten used to it.

5 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

The very fact that they hung around so long to chat with the young girl like they had not a care in the world was ridiculous.  They said themselves that they had to get moving, and then they stuck around for the therapy session until the Nazis showed up.  Sam and Dean are excellent hunters...except when the writers need them to epically fail so they can further their plot.  It happens in just about every episode and I've pretty much gotten used to it.

It's so frustrating!  This show was designed around these men being heroes and being GOOD at their jobs.  I can accept them being anti-heroes but to make them BAD at their jobs is essentially pooping on their legacy as hunters. I hate it with the fire of 1000 suns in 1000 universes.

On 11/12/2016 at 10:38 AM, SueB said:

Man's Best Friend with Benefits

This is your fault.  I sit down in the office to do some work, flip on TNT, and this garbage is starting.  I blame you for "speaking" its name!  Day ruined before it begins. :(

Edited by sarthaz
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, sarthaz said:

This is your fault.  I sit down in the office to do some work, flip on TNT, and this garbage is starting.  I blame you for "speaking" its name!  Day ruined before it begins. :(

*grovels* I'm so sorry!  I generally don't speak it outloud!  So very sorry! *backs away*

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 8:18 AM, Bruinsfan said:

I think I'm done with the show as of this episode. Wacky Fun Hitler, and Dean gloating about killing him like a toddler whose mom pinned his drawing of a butterfly on the fridge. Just... no.

If you want to see how Hitler should really be portrayed, watch Man in the High Castle.  Now that's a Hitler.

Ok, so I finally made myself come back to this show. Because ... reasons.

Sooooo..... Hitler is The Joker, apparently. For a minute there I honestly thought the was was going to tell Ellie that he wasn't going to kill her... her was just going to hurt her really, really bad.

Speaking of which, THANK YOU for not having that British dude kill off Ellie at the end! Also no torture this week, which is much appreciated. Overall I'd say it had some nice, funny Winchester moments. The pie, the grenade launcher, the antique shop slapstick, etc. I like those moments.

Did I mention how grateful I was that there was no torture?

• Love 3

"Dean, it's called sublimation." *grin* "Yeah, it's kinda my thing." I like Ellie. She reminds me of Ava before she started killing people. I always like that Sam likes Harry Potter. I love that Dean wanted to kill Nazis with a grenade launcher, and they're adorable when Sam has to talk him out of it. Love that it was an improvised moments. Sometimes I swear J2 are the only ones left who understand their characters. I love how meme-worthy Dean is - killed Hitler, shot Satan in the face. He really does deserve those free drinks.  

• Love 2

OMG Hitler was hilarious.  Seeing him act all maniac while his 'followers' just stand at attention.  LoL

I did wonder whether Hitler would want to come back as a young woman, but they cleared up that question.

Horcrux, lol.  Of course Sam's read Harry Potter.

Looks like another evil group taken out rather easily.

On 11/10/2016 at 11:21 PM, catrox14 said:

I hope he does. That's a pretty big get, non-God division.  I'd probably change my voice mail. "Hi you've reached CatFuckingRox14, Hitler-Killer. Leave a message at the beep" and leave it for at least a month :)

YES! I would get business cards made.

On 9/19/2017 at 9:03 PM, bettername2come said:

"Dean, it's called sublimation." *grin* "Yeah, it's kinda my thing." I like Ellie. She reminds me of Ava before she started killing people. I always like that Sam likes Harry Potter. I love that Dean wanted to kill Nazis with a grenade launcher, and they're adorable when Sam has to talk him out of it. Love that it was an improvised moments. Sometimes I swear J2 are the only ones left who understand their characters. I love how meme-worthy Dean is - killed Hitler, shot Satan in the face. He really does deserve those free drinks.  

Dean wanting to kill Nazis with a grenade launcher was amazing. 

So, this episode seems to have hit at a particularly terrible time. Without that context, I actually liked it, but I will also note that: 1. I have a deep, dark black sense of humor; and 2. I have a love of Nazi-killing stories likely born of a 1980s upbringing.

I enjoyed Ellie and loved that the noped on out of there (even if it led to her getting kidnapped). I also liked the kids these days discussions. Most of all, I liked the guys working together.

I don't think Dean's "I killed Hitler" will get old for me. It's the new Rory punched Hitler. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, The Companion said:

I don't think Dean's "I killed Hitler" will get old for me.

So I was watching John Oliver today in which he talks about how the only thing to give Hitler credit for is being the only person to actually step up and kill Hitler. And it made me think of Dean Winchester and how proud I am of him for both killing Hitler and decreasing his legacy by doubling the amount of people who killed Hitler.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1