Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

(edited)

There's gotta be a song in there somewhere.....

Country and western no doubt? (No slam on any particular musical genre. C&W has a sense of humor, the song "Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song" was well received and funny as hell.)

Edited by DoctorK
additional reference
  • Love 1

What was wrong with the defendant in "The smell of 14 cats in the morning"? I have never heard someone speak like that, it was so very strange. It was an accent but maybe more of an affect, it was confusing.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, spacefly said:

What was wrong with the defendant in "The smell of 14 cats in the morning"? I have never heard someone speak like that, it was so very strange. It was an accent but maybe more of an affect, it was confusing.

I came on here nooowwwww?? To see if someone could figure ouuutttt??? why he talked so straaaanggeee???  All I could think of is that I read once that they advised people who stuttered to "sing" their sentences in order to not stutter. And during the hallterview he had no weird inflection at all. I wasn't feeling his hair either - he had weird flips on either side like somebody sheared him like a sheeeppp???

I had four cats at once back in the day. (cats begat other cats which begat other cats - I learned my lesson) I had several litter boxes and the cats also went outside. Those litter boxes stank even though I was constantly cleaning them (no flies or maggots though). I can't imagine how much stank fourteen cats would make. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

The thing is, I can't blame Trace (and all the other creeps far, far worse than he) for his douchiness. The reason all these cretins and hideous losers feel they are  prize packages who can pick and choose is that terminally desperate women put them on pedestals and feed their egos. How many times have we seen some repulsive, grimy, unemployed, ex-con, broke-ass little troll in the hall, smirking, "She tried to buy my love."? The depressing part is that it's true.

There's an old saying - No matter how pretty she is, someone somewhere is tired of her. The little known companion piece to that is - No matter how stupid/useless/worthless he is, someone somewhere wants to get into her car and drive to meet him.

• Love 5
(edited)

ConfLeak of Interest - The defendant looked like doddling old man but he sure turned total psycho in the hallterview!  The plaintiff was intelligent, stayed calm, answered JJ's questions, and had evidence.  At first I thought the plaintiff had cosmetic repairs done in a different room after collecting from the defendant's insurance because his washing machine, who was above the plaintiff's condo, leaked real bad.  It turns out the walls had gotten wet and they had to remove asbestos as part of the fix.  The defendant kept insisting the walls were dry and the plaintiff was lying - despite photo and video evidence to the contrary. I feel sorry for the people that have to deal with this nut, who happens to head the HOA, too. Three gavels.

Bike vs. Hole - A case involving bikes, backhoes, and torn excavator buckets!  Right up JJ's alley! Just kidding.  The defendant trades a bike, which is to be paid for by wage garnishment on the plaintiff. The defendant hanged himself lying on the stand.  He said the plaintiff had the bike, but he wrote that he didn't want to give him the bike since it wasn't fully paid. He also said that the paintiff was laid off for lack of work, while writing that he had to fire him and hire someone else to 'fix his mistakes.' Two gavels.

Edited by Toaster Strudel
  • Love 6

MeowMan - The plaintiff bought a condo an rents it to cat hoarders, who once had 14 cats (from the pictures, they had a litter of kittens).  The plaintiff started to get calls that the condo reeked and that there were flies and maggots.  I'm so sad there were no maggot pictures, I was looking forward to being grossed out.  The defendant got $5K for cleaning up the horrible smell.  Interestingly, the male defendant spoke an odd combination of English and meowing.  JJ gets irritated when teens finish their sentences with question marks? It drives her crazy? But what do you say when MeowMan covers a three octave range in the span of twelve words?  Maybe he's the Rachel Dolezal of felines. He identifies as a cat.  Three meows????

WhinyMan - After MeowMan, we are treated to WhinyMan.  This guy rents an apartment he doesn't live in, but uses as a corner store, selling 'juice boxes and candy.'  He is suing the defendant who complained to the police about it, believing he was selling drugs.  He was super-sketchy! He showed a receipt for paying a lawyer (that he says uses since he was 18!).  JJ asks for the number of the lawyer, but he dropped his phone in the bath tub the night before, I hate this when it always happens on JJ LOL.  But JJ looked up the number herself and called the lawyer and he does not know the plaintiff.  He asked that she call again later to check on the receipt number.  While the case was being recalled, the sketchy WhinyMan found the lawyer's phone number too, and called him! It turns out, the receipt numbers don't match.  WhinyMan also claimed that the manager knew and approved of this business.   When JJ asked for the number, suddenly, there was a new manager! After the defendant called the police about this 'carry out' business she thought was drug-related, he uttered death threats and she got a protective order.  He whine some more in the hallterview.  Methinks he was selling more than juice boxes. 4 gavels.

1 hour ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

he had weird flips on either side

My theory: simulated cat ears.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, Toaster Strudel said:

WhinyMan - After MeowMan, we are treated to WhinyMan.  This guy rents an apartment he doesn't live in, but uses as a corner store, selling 'juice boxes and candy.'  He is suing the defendant who complained to the police about it, believing he was selling drugs.  He was super-sketchy! He showed a receipt for paying a lawyer (that he says uses since he was 18!).  JJ asks for the number of the lawyer, but he dropped his phone in the bath tub the night before, I hate this when it always happens on JJ LOL.  But JJ looked up the number herself and called the lawyer and he does not know the plaintiff.  He asked that she call again later to check on the receipt number.  While the case was being recalled, the sketchy WhinyMan found the lawyer's phone number too, and called him! It turns out, the receipt numbers don't match.  WhinyMan also claimed that the manager knew and approved of this business.   When JJ asked for the number, suddenly, there was a new manager! After the defendant called the police about this 'carry out' business she thought was drug-related, he uttered death threats and she got a protective order.  He whine some more in the hallterview.  Methinks he was selling more than juice boxes. 4 gavels.

OMG.  Talk about huge brass balls!  Selling drugs out of 2 apartments, AND the day-room, and he lied all through his testimony, and cried when he got caught!  Someone local in New York needs to find out who this cretin is and where he lives, and get him busted!  I cannot imagine the din and mess it would be to have "customers" calling at the apartment next door at all hours of the night.  Yeah sure , he got permission.  Pfft!

• Love 4

JJ suurre has been earning her bucks lately!

WANDA GAG me with a spoon!  I was coming here to comment on CatBoy's strange affect/inflection, but you have of course beat me to the punch.  I wanted to add that CatBoy and CatGirl looked like they possibly smelled worse than the 14, oops, 21 cats!

I think StoreDude was selling GIN AND juice, and that his contact at "his" building disavowed any knowledge of their deal because contact was smart enough to know that Judy was out for blood on national TV!

The beefy sonofawhore defendant Carpenter sure was a big blowhard of a liar. 

Condo blowhard, certainly a brother-in-denseness to Zippy, is unfortunately not one of a kind in CondoLand!

• Love 5

I'm in a condo; I had an upstairs neighbor with a toilet overrunning for 3 hours, and you cannot just look at the wall and say "oh, it's dry, no problem" - trust the guys with the moisture sensors unless you want to have mold. And it's not a situation that you can just let sit while Grumpy Old Man dithers - my HOA had the dehydrator service out before any insurance companies had time to even think about it, because mold spreads so it counted as a common interest problem. Plaintiff called the service without "permission"? Damn straight!

Also, asbestos? Seriously? Be glad you don't live someplace where that would be an automatic "everyone clear out while we replace this".

• Love 5

I thought the cat hoarder had a mild case of Touretts, made worse by the stress of being on camera.  As the case went on and he realized just how bad he and his wife were looking, the stress got worse and the vocalizations became more obvious.  After the case was over, the guy was probably reminded that they didn't actually have to pay the fine.  The stress was reduced and the vocalizations stopped.

• Love 2

Let's pretend for a moment that Whiny Man was telling the "troof" & NOT doing anything illegal.  It's tricky, but suspend your disbelief and take his story as fact. Here are just a few of the many things my inquiring mind wants to know...

Call me a sheltered snowflake, but is selling "milk, eggs, juice boxes" out of an apartment a real thing that exists?? I understand if an actual corner store is on the ground floor of a building, like a 7-11 or "Mini Mart" where residents can stop in to get a coffee or package of paper towels on the way up to their unit.  But in an actual apartment??  Did he have the place outfitted with a "Dairy aisle", complete with a commercial refrigerator to keep the milk & eggs he was selling to his "elderly" customers at proper temp?  And if he only uses the place to sell between 8:30am & 1am, then sleeps at his fiancee's house, does he pay rent on this unit?  Does he make enough selling 3rd hand groceries to cover the rent & make a profit?  Or, like so many guests of this show, is his rent paid by you, me and Byrd? I'm sure this was a cash only business, so what did his 2016 tax return look like?  I know this smooth operator had too many other marks against him on JJ's radar (lawyer lying, fake receipt, cell phone in the hot tub), but I really wish she asked more questions before she declared "we're DONE!" 

• Love 11

I will say I have no problem believing that the guy lives at his apartment but goes over to his fiancée's place every night to hook up and sleep over. JJ seems to think that sort of behavior is strange, but it was the one thing he said that rang true. He probably has 90% of his stuff at his place and a few things with her. Couples who have separate houses still like spending the night together and that means someone doesn't sleep in their own home most of the time.

Everything else he said was hard to believe but that did in fact make sense to me.

• Love 1

I feel sorry for the people that have to deal with this nut, who happens to head the HOA, too

I live with an HOA.  So here is what happened.  Nut knew it was his unit causing damage.  He had his insurance pay for the damage inside the unit.  He tried to have the HOA insurance cover the common area, asbestos removal.  And yes often HOA boards say go ahead with the common repair since it is more cost effective and just have the contractor invoice it.  Then Nut finds out that the HOA insurance says hey, damage by an individual unit should go to that units insurance.  So now Nut has to have his insurance cover that.  So he says not my problem.  Now we are in court.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, BusyOctober said:

Does he make enough selling 3rd hand groceries to cover the rent & make a profit?  Or, like so many guests of this show, is his rent paid by you, me and Byrd? I'm sure this was a cash only business, so what did his 2016 tax return look like?  I know this smooth operator had too many other marks against him on JJ's radar (lawyer lying, fake receipt, cell phone in the hot tub), but I really wish she asked more questions before she declared "we're DONE!" 

My gut instinct is that JJ, Byrd, you and I are paying the rent.  And - like many cash-only businesses (which are also illegal, but for different reasons) - not one whiff (see what I did there?) of the profit is reported on a 1040.  

Given his fake receipt, cell phone issue, etc., I see this guy falling under JJ's opinion of teenagers:  You can tell they're lying, because their lips are moving.

• Love 9
On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 8:22 AM, BusyOctober said:

I know this smooth operator had too many other marks against him on JJ's radar (lawyer lying, fake receipt, cell phone in the hot tub), but I really wish she asked more questions before she declared "we're DONE!" 

Not so smooth. You never lie about stuff when the lies are so easy to disprove. He's been "dillin" with a lawyer since he was 18 (I wonder why?) but that lawyer has never heard of him? How odd. Maybe the lawyer has some sort of memory problem or is a pathological liar.  *Toothy smile* And darn, the phone just happened to drop in the hot tub last night. Maybe the dog ate the lawyer's contract(s) with him too. Rotten luck all around.  I wish we had heard more as well. I dearly wanted to hear what pearls of wisdom may have been imparted by the ghastly, highly-inappropriately dressed and tatted "fiance." Maybe she's supporting him. He IS quite a catch, after all, with his juice-box emporium.  

• Love 8
On 5/25/2017 at 1:59 PM, spacefly said:

The smell of 14 cats in the morning is not from the 14 cats. It's from the lazy ass cat owner not cleaning the litter boxes and most likely, an f'n slob in general, not cleaning anything. 

• Love 7
36 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

The smell of 14 cats in the morning is not from the 14 cats. It's from the lazy ass cat owner not cleaning the litter boxes and most likely, an f'n slob in general, not cleaning anything. 

Well, probably a slob who has overflowing litter boxes - but also intact cats judging from all the kitten pictures. Nothing quite like the scent of intact Toms marking their territory.

I love my cats, and I love having kittens around, but the very first thing I have always done is neuter/spay any cat I have. A single mama can produce 3 litters a year, averaging 4 kittens a litter - and close to 900,000 cats are euthanized at US shelters annually according to the SPCA.

Ok, not going to launch into a rant, so, stepping away from the soap box 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, SRTouch said:

Well, probably a slob who has overflowing litter boxes - but also intact cats judging from all the kitten pictures. Nothing quite like the scent of intact Toms marking their territory.

I love my cats, and I love having kittens around, but the very first thing I have always done is neuter/spay any cat I have. A single mama can produce 3 litters a year, averaging 4 kittens a litter - and close to 900,000 cats are euthanized at US shelters annually according to the SPCA.

Ok, not going to launch into a rant, so, stepping away from the soap box 

SrTouch...Amen and hallelujah!

• Love 1
(edited)
On 2017-05-26 at 8:33 AM, vibeology said:

I will say I have no problem believing that the guy lives at his apartment but goes over to his fiancée's place every night to hook up and sleep over. JJ seems to think that sort of behavior is strange, but it was the one thing he said that rang true. He probably has 90% of his stuff at his place and a few things with her. Couples who have separate houses still like spending the night together and that means someone doesn't sleep in their own home most of the time.

Everything else he said was hard to believe but that did in fact make sense to me.

One must always remember that if JJ never encountered a particular situation or witnessed it herself, then it can not exist; if it is not part of her life experience, then it is not logical, it is a lie and probably a scam. Which is strange for a family court judge who must have heard about some very strange family and living arrangements over her years on the bench. But of course, she obviously believes that her limited life story is the be-all and end-all of acceptable human behaviour and reality, the standard by which each of us mere mortals must be judged

The example you mention is an excellent case in point and there have been others on this show of situations that I would never have considered getting into, but apparently many people do not bat an eye before deciding to live that way. I must say also that although I have never lived where there was a clandestine store on the premises, I can see this making sense in a building where many older people or others with mobility problems live. If I were them though, I would check the "best before date" of anything he sells because they don't know how he gets the stuff, and would never buy perishables that require refrigeration. It is also very plausible that he sells more intoxicating products so he can turn a profit, but then again the police has not arrested him or closed down his business.

He was shifty, to say the least, and his explanations were incoherent but the defendant was no better; she came across as a meddling busybody who would indeed have no qualms to complain left and right to every authority imaginable, relevant or not, when she sees something that does not agree with her view of how the world should be run and does not mind acting like a bully to achieve the results she seeks. To that extent, she and JJ would probably get along famously and be the best of bosom buddies.

I would also not be surprised if it ever comes out that the lawyer denied knowledge of the defendant because he did not want to be associated with a show many of his colleagues may very well consider to be a joke.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Florinaldo said:

One must always remember that if JJ never encountered a particular situation or witnessed it herself, then it can not exist; if it is not part of her life experience, then it is not logical, it is a lie and probably a scam. Which is strange for a family court judge who must have heard about some very strange family and living arrangements over her years on the bench. But of course, she obviously believes that her limited life story is the be-all and end-all of acceptable human behaviour and reality, the standard by which each of us mere mortals must be judged.

EXCELLENT point! I think this is one of the points I was trying to illustrate when I started the thread for worst rulings and moments.  Feel free to check it out as it sounds like you share some of my frustration with JJ.

JJ really does seem to have a problem with understanding that just because people don't do things the way she would do them, that doesn't automatically mean they're lying idiots out to scam people. Her "My America" thing kind of gets old too.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Bobby88 said:

JJ really does seem to have a problem with understanding that just because people don't do things the way she would do them, that doesn't automatically mean they're lying idiots out to scam people.

The way I look at it  is that it's a given that the people in front of her will lie with their last breath to avoid their responsibilities. In the face of this kind of lying, plaintiff and def telling diamatrically opposed stories and with no proof either way, the only way to go is to decide what makes sense - that is, what a resonable person might or might not do in a given situation. I know the litigants often are not reasonable or normal, but what other path is there to take? A judge can't just say, "Oh, I don't know. Go away" so must do what makes some sort of sense. JMHO.

• Love 6

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Friday's episode with Miss (not) Diana Ross, giant wig, pink suit, puppy in pink sweater, and how many nursing assistants? She was a bowl full of crazy even if I am sure the 'tude on the nurse suing her was pretty retched! She seemed like a nightmare to work for,  it the whole thing was awesome!!!! I hope I never need full time care...

• Love 9
1 hour ago, JD5166 said:

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Friday's episode with Miss (not) Diana Ross, giant wig, pink suit, puppy in pink sweater,

My first thought was that her wig and puppy probably weighed as much as she did. I didn't make it through the whole case.

1 hour ago, JD5166 said:

I hope I never need full time care...

Considering the kinds of beastly people we see on court shows who are in "home health care" I'm pretty sure no one wants to be in need of their services. Scary.

• Love 5

Considering how nasty that client was to her caretaker, it convinces me once again that a person has to be pretty desperate if they have no other choice but to pursue such a career; you can find yourself in service to crazy people like her who lord over you as if you were a serf.

5 hours ago, Bobby88 said:

JJ really does seem to have a problem with understanding that just because people don't do things the way she would do them, that doesn't automatically mean they're lying idiots out to scam people. Her "My America" thing kind of gets old too.

She can learn a bit though.For example she used to think that every person doing business on the Web was a scammer, but she seems to have come around somewhat, probably very grudgingly. She still seems to believe that people working from home are just plain lazy and can't get a real job so they simply lounge around all day long; teleworking is a concept she has yet to assimilate.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, JD5166 said:

Miss (not) Diana Ross, giant wig, pink suit, puppy in pink sweater,

I said: "she brought her chihuahua to court!"
Mr Strudel exclaimed, upon seeing this vision: "urgh? Which one is the dog?"

Last Friday was a little too boring to recap, but the first case with the woman that dated a blithering idiot for 7 years while living with her parents, and kept "loaning" him money for tools, more tools, even more tools, a sports car, and, get this: liquor, featured one of the the stupidest litigants ever to appear on the show.

I'm pretty sure he described the car as a '19 Mitsubishi Eclipse" so big numbers aren't his forte.  He felt the need to point out that this ancient chunk of cheap steel with a sofa and a steering wheel was used. Oh, really? You didn't just buy a 20 yr old car brand new?  He could barely form words, let alone sentences.  Naturally, the girlfriend was with child.

• Love 7

The Case of the Grumpy Old Man: Mr. Ketcherside is suing his neighbor, who seems to be disabled, for painting his fence a color he didn't like or approve of. He has pictures to show JJ, and once she allowed it, it turns out that he can't even see the color he doesn't like, because the neighbor painted the other side of the fence. Mr. Ketcherside is annoying both Her Honor and me, because he's claiming the neighbor's wife let him into their house and the neighbor threw a can of Pepsi at him. After he left the house and then came back in. Only he didn't put that in the police report, I guess because of reasons. Also, he says he was defending his mother's honor because the defendant called him a son of a bitch. The defendant barely had to speak, which is okay because his voice is just barely audible. JJ dismissed the case, the plaintiff gets nothing. Good, because he's a jackass. 3 dyspeptic gavels.

Sorry to steal your thunder, @Toaster Strudel, but I thought I'd take the hit and deal with Old Fart Court.

• Love 9
44 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

The Case of the Grumpy Old Man

THIS man was the most annoying and stubborn man I've seen in a while.  I also believe he is misogynistic and doesn't even HEAR women's opinions, even when the woman in question is a judge.  SUCH a jackass!  I can't imagine the terror at contemplating that man barging into my house!

• Love 4

The two feuding neighbours seemed cut from the same cloth. I give no slack to the defendant just because he is disabled or in poor health; he came across as an ill-tempered curmudgeon and I have no problem believing that he threw a pop bottle at the other guy (even in his condition he could have done him real harm). He's probably as much at fault for the escalation of this feud, for example by deliberately painting the fence in a way that he knew would anger his neighbour.

I don't think that the plaintiff was especially misogynistic since he obviously doesn't hear anyone else's opinion, whatever their gender.

With their antagonistic personalities playing against each other, they seem to have set up a fully functioning folie à deux, and they probably derive much satisfaction from their shared psychosis.

On 2017-05-28 at 5:09 PM, AngelaHunter said:

The way I look at it  is that it's a given that the people in front of her will lie with their last breath to avoid their responsibilities. In the face of this kind of lying, plaintiff and def telling diamatrically opposed stories and with no proof either way, the only way to go is to decide what makes sense - that is, what a resonable person might or might not do in a given situation.

There are enough examples on this show of at least one of the litigants telling the truth and sometimes even both of them, that I don't think this explains JJ's reluctance to even consider situations outside of her experience. And since I don't think that "reasonable person" and "Judge Judy" belong in the same thought, I have concluded there is a more down-to-earth explanation: whenever JJ displays an automatic and inexplicable dislike for the explanation provided by at least one of the litigants, it's because she missed her regularly-scheduled bowel movement that morning. She has to vent her discomfort and resulting crankiness at someone. I think it is a neat hypothesis to explain why she is oftentimes full of sh*t, as well as her resulting decisions.

It would also explain why she sometimes is openly hostile towards someone and even refuses to read or view their evidence or believe their testimony, even though the other litigant has no more proof for their side.

To be clear, I am not referring to cases where litigants complain in the hallterview that they were not given a chance to explain their story, when in fact they wasted time by rambling all over the place and failed to express themselves coherently, but to instances when JJ simply shuts them down and refuses to look over or listen to their material; it might not change the outcome, but a conscientious arbitrator would at least give them an airing before dismissing them.

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, Florinaldo said:

The two feuding neighbours seemed cut from the same cloth. I give no slack to the defendant just because he is disabled or in poor health; he came across as an ill-tempered curmudgeon and I have no problem believing that he threw a pop bottle at the other guy (even in his condition he could have done him real harm). He's probably as much at fault for the escalation of this feud, for example by deliberately painting the fence in a way that he knew would anger his neighbour.

I don't think that the plaintiff was especially misogynistic since he obviously doesn't hear anyone else's opinion, whatever their gender.

With their antagonistic personalities playing against each other, they seem to have set up a fully functioning folie à deux, and they probably derive much satisfaction from their shared psychosis.

There are enough examples on this show of at least one of the litigants telling the truth and sometimes even both of them, that I don't think this explains JJ's reluctance to even consider situations outside of her experience. And since I don't think that "reasonable person" and "Judge Judy" belong in the same thought, I have concluded there is a more down-to-earth explanation: whenever JJ displays an automatic and inexplicable dislike for the explanation provided by at least one of the litigants, it's because she missed her regularly-scheduled bowel movement that morning. She has to vent her discomfort and resulting crankiness at someone. I think it is a neat hypothesis to explain why she is oftentimes full of sh*t, as well as her resulting decisions.

It would also explain why she sometimes is openly hostile towards someone and even refuses to read or view their evidence or believe their testimony, even though the other litigant has no more proof for their side.

To be clear, I am not referring to cases where litigants complain in the hallterview that they were not given a chance to explain their story, when in fact they wasted time by rambling all over the place and failed to express themselves coherently, but to instances when JJ simply shuts them down and refuses to look over or listen to their material; it might not change the outcome, but a conscientious arbitrator would at least give them an airing before dismissing them.

This. Every. Single. Word. X1000

• Love 2
On 5/25/2017 at 5:12 PM, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

I had four cats at once back in the day. (cats begat other cats which begat other cats - I learned my lesson) I had several litter boxes and the cats also went outside. Those litter boxes stank even though I was constantly cleaning them (no flies or maggots though). I can't imagine how much stank fourteen cats would make. 

On 5/27/2017 at 9:20 PM, chenoa333 said:

My late MIL had 14 cats when he and I started dating.  Multiple litter boxes.   The house always reeked, and everything was covered in cat hair, no matter how often she cleaned.  I learned fast not to drink anything in there that I couldn't put a cap or lid on.  I hated eating there.  And then they moved, and that house stank in short order.  I was making pasta salad there and fired up the stove to boil water, only to have the house fill with the most horrible smell.  One of the cats peed in the stove burner drip pan.  I refused to shower there after I got tired of clearing vomit, pee, and poo from the shower before I could use it.  When I discovered they cleaned by using the same bucket full of dirty water that was never changed - just had more Lysol dumped in it - I stopped being anywhere in there without shoes on.  Eventually we stopped sleeping there when they were puking in the bed while we were sleeping, and I woke up one morning to find their huge dog pooped giant poop all over my shoes and socks.  They peed/pooped/puked everywhere, and they were all spayed/neutered.  When you have that many cats, they get territorial, or they get fussy about the litter box.  After losing several deposits, she finally agreed to not replace them as they died, and a few had medical issues and she surrendered them to a rescue.  When she passed, they were down to 5-6 cats.  But then step FIL moved and started acquiring more cats as the old ones died, or his dogs died.  His house was so gross toward the end that I couldn't breathe in there.  You could smell it outside in the yard.  And those litterboxes would be full of maggots, vomit, etc.  Thankfully when he died, we found a rescue to take them who promised not to put any of them down.  One of the cats escaped as they were trying to catch them.  We don't know what happened to it.  I hope someone took it in.  That house was declared a biohazard.  Seriously.  So I completely sympathize with the landlord.  It's unnecessary, and so hard to get that smell out.

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, Florinaldo said:

I agree. JJ is also sometimes biased against some litigants. I get that she has seen COUNTLESS people who are abusing the system, but it seems that she sometimes gets immediately annoyed and suspicious when a litigant mentions something about being on disability, especially when they don't appear obviously disabled (i.e. wheelchair-bound, blind, etc.). Well, not all disabilities are visible and although someone may look and sound normal to the public, it sometimes takes a HUGE amount of prescription medications (which JJ also likes to sarcastically inquire about when someone says something out of line) and frequent trips to a specialist to keep them that way. My mother is a perfect example. She has had sarcoidosis of the lungs since 1992 and has been on total disability since around 1994. She looks perfectly "normal" and can drive, shop, cook, carry on a conversation, etc. Never mind that she takes so many different pills that she doesn't even remember what most of them are for anymore and sometimes gets so out of breath from something as simple as vacuuming that she has to sit and rest for a few hours. But people sometimes give her the side-eye when she mentions that she can't work.

And, no, Your Honor, every time a teenager's mouth is moving doesn't mean they're lying. And I say that as someone who didn't like or trust most teenagers even when I was one.

Edited by Bobby88
  • Love 4
(edited)

I love it when JJ rips into a litigant (or litigants) that rightly deserve it. I wish I could find this particular episode but I think it's gone forever. So a family of 3 (mom,dad and teenage son are suing a very nice San Bernardino CA  County Sheriff's deputy for pulling over the father for street racing with his son in the car. The cop IIRC only cited dad for driving too fast (street racing I believe, takes you straight to jail) and let him wait til mom arrived to pick them up. Mom and dad decided to take this cop to court for traumitizing the son by seeing his dad in handcuffs and blah blah. JJ ruled in favor of the cop and spent 10 + minutes ripping the ungrateful family some new a-holes. Probably my favorite JJ episode ever.

But lately I just don't find the litigants as interesting as they used to be. Seems like there used to be morons (and very funny morons!) on everyday. Not so much anymore.

Edited by chenoa333
Afterthought
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

I love it when JJ rips into a litigant (or litigants) that rightly deserve it. I wish I could find this particular episode but I think it's gone forever. So a family of 3 (mom,dad and teenage son are suing a very nice San Bernardino CA  County Sheriff's deputy for pulling over the father for street racing with his son in the car. The cop IIRC only cited dad for driving too fast (street racing I believe, takes you straight to jail) and let him wait til mom arrived to pick them up. Mom and dad decided to take this cop to court for traumitizing the son by seeing his dad in handcuffs and blah blah. JJ ruled in favor of the cop and spent 10 + minutes ripping the ungrateful family some new a-holes. Probably my favorite JJ episode ever.

But lately I just don't find the litigants as interesting as they used to be. Seems like there used to be morons (and very funny morons!) on everyday. Not so much anymore.

I actually have this one saved to my hard drive since it's also one of my favorites. I love when she goes through the defendant's answer to the complaint and basically picks it apart word for word, especially this exchange:

JJ: (reading statement) My husband is white and my 17-year-old son is Hispanic. (look at officer who is a lighter-skinned black man) What are you?

Officer: I'm black. (audience chuckles) And my wife is Puerto Rican! (cut to a shot of the wife)

Some of my favorite cases are when JJ lays a verbal smackdown on a litigant and the audience erupts in applause at the ruling. There haven't been many of those lately. The only one I can really think of was the case a few months ago with the woman being sued by her elderly mother over a trailer and JJ told the defendant in question "You're a lousy daughter!". I honestly don't think I've heard the audience get that loud with their applause and JJ didn't even admonish them to be quiet. Probably because the defendant totally deserved it.

• Love 8
24 minutes ago, Bobby88 said:

Some of my favorite cases are when JJ lays a verbal smackdown on a litigant and the audience erupts in applause at the ruling. There haven't been many of those lately.

Probably because the last time it happened, Byrd shut them down, explaining, "We don't do that here."  I assume he means they don't do the Springer-type circuses of other court shows, where the audience is allowed to hoot and clap.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, AngelaHunter said:

Probably because the last time it happened, Byrd shut them down, explaining, "We don't do that here."  I assume he means they don't do the Springer-type circuses of other court shows, where the audience is allowed to hoot and clap.

Now that you're saying that, I think I do remember him silencing the audience. Do you happen to remember which case that was? I don't think it was that long ago.

2 hours ago, Bobby88 said:

I actually have this one saved to my hard drive since it's also one of my favorites. I love when she goes through the defendant's answer to the complaint and basically picks it apart word for word, especially this exchange:

JJ: (reading statement) My husband is white and my 17-year-old son is Hispanic. (look at officer who is a lighter-skinned black man) What are you?

Officer: I'm black. (audience chuckles) And my wife is Puerto Rican! (cut to a shot of the wife)

Thank you for reminding me of some of those classic, awesome moments of that particular case. I will forever remember it.

• Love 1

Quoting the unsuccessful plaintiff in today's noon repeat, "I'm sorry, but do I look like I do drugs? Most people that do drugs are skinny and you can tell!" Sniffle, sniffle.

Well, honey, tell that to John Belushi, Chris Farley, etc.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Spunkygal said:

Quoting the unsuccessful plaintiff in today's noon repeat, "I'm sorry, but do I look like I do drugs? Most people that do drugs are skinny and you can tell!" Sniffle, sniffle.

Well, honey, tell that to John Belushi, Chris Farley, etc.

Exactly ?

• Love 2

Bunch Of Fools - What a cute case of little kids having only 3 weeks practice playing football getting solidly beat up by another recreational team that practiced for longer.  A recreational team is a recreational team no matter how long they've been playing recreationally!  The plaintiff didn't get that, could not prove that the other team was "traveling" and therefore not recreational, and he lost his case for a refund and some other BS. The kicker is, you have to be a fool to train 4-feet tall linebackers for only three weeks and sign them up for a competition. Extra points for the coach's sporty fashion, a white silk tie on a solid, stop-sign red shirt.  2.5 gavels.

Purple Bum - The up and coming real estate moguls Koons Brothers are suing a cleaned up bum in a purple polyester satin shirt for disappearing appliances. He was one of four people whose name was on the lease, the last one to stay, and was not paying rent. I was sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for JJ to make a horn with her hands and shout out, "squattahs!" but I was disappointed. She did ask Purple Bum what the nature of his disability is - something about pinched nerves but officially it's probably some consequence of alcoholism or meth use. JJ inferred that the appliances were probably going to be gotten rid of for the reno, and I agreed, but shouldn't the Koons have had the ability to sell it, instead of the Purple Bum's nephew? I think the Koons Bros are going to be successful. They kept their cool and were 100% business. Good luck to them with their reno! Three gavels.

• Love 3

Rerun: Real estate agent goes above and beyond in spiffing up a house for sale, with paint and tree-trimming. It's not in the contract. JJ goes into great detail about contracts. Defendant tries to explain that it's all part of her job to make the house look good. Cut to plaintiff with the widest surprised-eyes I've ever seen outside of Looney Tunes - seriously, looks so fake, when all she has to do is win is just stand here. It's not like when defendants start spinning lies - what def is saying is exactly what she's being sued about.

Seriously, folks, Hollywood is not going to come calling just because they saw you on JJ.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I have yet to see Byrd man exercise any force of authority in JJ's courtroom. I know when JJ asks him to do something, he does it; but Byrd removing folks from the courtroom takes as little effort as Byrd walking over to a litigant and bringing paperwork to Judy. Nonetheless, I do love my Byrdman! 

32 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

I have yet to see Byrd man exercise any force of authority in JJ's courtroom.

Oh but he does. More than once he's taken it upon himself to open a can of whoop ass on some wise guy or quell bitch fights between litigants on their way out. My favorite was when he told someone to "Shut up."  He did all these things on his own initiative with no request from JJ. After all, he's a real bailiff and knows when to act and when to do nothing.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

Oh but he does. More than once he's taken it upon himself to open a can of whoop ass on some wise guy or quell bitch fights between litigants on their way out. My favorite was when he told someone to "Shut up."  He did all these things on his own initiative with no request from JJ. After all, he's a real bailiff and knows when to act and when to do nothing.

So it appears as though I have missed out on some righteous Byrd moments! Damn! Byrd IS the word! Lol.

• Love 8