Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

(edited)

This interview is a joke. JimChelle more like Jim dim would never agree to it without pre approved questions. Most of their viewers are conservative or christians, so of course fox is the best choice. [snip]

JimChelle is trying to get back their reputation that they ruined. I doubt sponsors is going to come back. I'm going to have a huge ass bottle of wine everytime JimChelle mentions Jesus or repented or both. Or if they shed fake ass tears

Edited by bigskygirl
Calling out conservative and christians
  • Love 5
(edited)

I think Anna would have dutifully married the local garbage man if that's what her mom and dad told her to do. But she lucked(?) into a Duggar who lucked into a high profile lobbyist job in DC. With that circumstance she had to change some things, right?

I really hate to speculate when it comes to love, because unlike think Anna truly loves Josh; but, I remember quite clearly that Anna hadn't really considered Josh much. He pursued her and she held to "I'm waiting until I am 20" promise. Since we know Josh told her two years before he proposed, about his past, I'm wondering if that admission helped get resolve to wait?

Anna was fundy royalty in her own way. Her family was pretty well known and feted about in ATI. I can't remember, for the life of me, who said it, but someone confirmed that Mr. Keller instituted some benchmarks for Josh in terms of income and lifestyle. The "trailer" Anna lived in as a teen was fairly large and has its own acreage with a tennis court, pool, and other fun things.

I just hope that they had an exit strategy. Times are about to get lean.

Edited by wanderwoman
  • Love 2
(edited)

Wanderwoman - Question please -Since you are familar with the fundy lifestyle, do you think Josh told Anna EVERYTHING?

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 2

Josh was not ED of the entire FRC.   He was ED of communications of something.   They gave him a fancy title and office.   He didn't actually do anything.   They just trotted him out to read speeches someone else wrote.  

But still pretty cushy job for someone with only a GED and very few actual life experiences.

I wonder what he actually DID from day to day.

• Love 1

I did notice Anna changed after marrying him but in some ways there were positive changes such as being a little more confident and dressing a little more modern.

I do.agree with a previous poster that even if the girls have to wear skirts, at least they are choosing some more trendy looks paired with leggings. At least Jessa and Anna have been doing this.

Still not sure how his interview will go..but we shall find out on Wednesday.

http://www.chicagonow.com/confessions-coffeeholic/2015/05/flowers-in-the-attic-josh-duggar-scandal/

(edited)

Another possibility is that Josh's rent was a perk of the job, sort of like a car lease. I know people that transferred and their job provided a furnished rental for six months or more.

He would have to pay taxes on the income :)

Edited for my theory:

I forsee house flipping in his future. Contractors will work with anyone, JB has the cash and the local contacts, and Josh has a huge supply of free labor in his brothers.

Edited by TaxNerd
  • Love 3
(edited)

The FRC salaries were posted and the lowest paid executive was over 125k (a female) and the salaries went over 200k. Of course I believe that almost everyone else had at least a college degree if not graduate work. I would find it hard to believe Josh would be paid less. His expenses had to be very high, on top of rent instead of free Grandma Duggar's house, he had 8 vehicles with him. He could no longer grab a dealer plate like he did at the car lot. I can't imagine Maryland having dirt cheap car insurance?

Josh was there because of his last name. He flew around the country and met various supporters and had some photo ops (now I'm sure many people would love to forget they posed with him).  He also did some radio shows for FRC. Not to defend his high salary but how many people had heard about FRC or followed what they were doing before Josh? I had heard about the shooting before Josh was employed there but that was it. Josh's 18 months at FRC got more people talking about it then all the other 150k executives with degrees and that is exactly why he was hired. If this scandal didn't happen, Josh & Anna and there 4 kids including a newborn would have been traveling this fall to kick off the 2016 campaigns in the FRC RV pro life tour bus. Josh was to be the face of the young conservative large family. I always thought that it was sure a high pressure job in a way that kind of part of your employment requirements is to keep having kids and traveling with your young kids. I love my kids but I only traveled with a newborn and 1 toddler on a plane 3 times, all out of necessity (funerals & wedding) and I would not want to do it as a living every election season.

Edited by silverspoons
  • Love 4

on top of rent instead of free Grandma Duggar's house, he had 8 vehicles with him.

8 cars? Holy crap, this is gonna be a hell of a humbling. It was just him, Anna, 3 kids, and the crew. That's 3 cars, max.

• Love 4

The FRC salaries were posted and the lowest paid executive was over 125k (a female) and the salaries went over 200k. Of course I believe that almost everyone else had at least a college degree if not graduate work. I would find it hard to believe Josh would be paid less. His expenses had to be very high, on top of rent instead of free Grandma Duggar's house, he had 8 vehicles with him. He could no longer grab a dealer plate like he did at the car lot. I can't imagine Maryland having dirt cheap car insurance?

Josh was there because of his last name. He flew around the country and met various supporters and had some photo ops (now I'm sure many people would love to forget they posed with him).  He also did some radio shows for FRC. Not to defend his high salary but how many people had heard about FRC or followed what they were doing before Josh? I had heard about the shooting before Josh was employed there but that was it. Josh's 18 months at FRC got more people talking about it then all the other 150k executives with degrees and that is exactly why he was hired. If this scandal didn't happen, Josh & Anna and there 4 kids including a newborn would have been traveling this fall to kick off the 2016 campaigns in the FRC RV pro life tour bus. Josh was to be the face of the young conservative large family. I always thought that it was sure a high pressure job in a way that kind of part of your employment requirements is to keep having kids and traveling with your young kids. I love my kids but I only traveled with a newborn and 1 toddler on a plane 3 times, all out of necessity (funerals & wedding) and I would not want to do it as a living every election season.

I wonder if JB is not kicking himself for grooming John David the same way he seemed to with Josh. I do think Josh was groomed to not only be the family spokesperson, but eventually be a face in politics. I don't think JB could ever foresee the FRC, but JB clearly didn't put his time into grooming any of his other sons and has no one to fall back on immediately. To be honest, knowing what they did and that there was a paper trail, I'm surprised they hadn't prepared for this. 

• Love 6

I wonder if JB is not kicking himself for grooming John David the same way he seemed to with Josh. I do think Josh was groomed to not only be the family spokesperson, but eventually be a face in politics. I don't think JB could ever foresee the FRC, but JB clearly didn't put his time into grooming any of his other sons and has no one to fall back on immediately. To be honest, knowing what they did and that there was a paper trail, I'm surprised they hadn't prepared for this.

John David would have been a disaster in politics, though. He doesn't even like to be interviewed on the show.

• Love 3

990s (tax returns) for nonprofits are public info. Guidestar has FRC's through 2013. Josh's predecessor made about $230k a year from FRC and its affiliated organizations. That's not at all out of line for a DC nonprofit that size.

• Love 2

John David would have been a disaster in politics, though. He doesn't even like to be interviewed on the show.

That type of thing gets better over time; I saw it in the early, early days with Josh and he was groomed for this type of position within the family. Ie. The family talking head. John David, while awkward now, could have been equally as groomed and been more at ease at this point in his life. 

• Love 1

I wonder how much the younger kids know about what is going on, and what the older kids (who weren't molested) knew about the situation back then and what they are being told now.

Having said that, is it just me or does it seem inappropriate to have the Megyn Kelly interview held at the Duggar home? Is it going to be so soft, lame and vague of an interview that if little ears hear what is being said, it won't be alarming to them? Or will JimBob make all the "in the dark" kids wear earplugs and stay in their bedrooms?

• Love 4

Having said that, is it just me or does it seem inappropriate to have the Megyn Kelly interview held at the Duggar home? Is it going to be so soft, lame and vague of an interview that if little ears hear what is being said, it won't be alarming to them? Or will JimBob make all the "in the dark" kids wear earplugs and stay in their bedrooms?

She is going to their house?  Oh forget it.  Not that I had any hope at all this was going to be anything even approaching a serious, hard hitting interview.  But no way is she going to meet them on their own family turf and do anything but kiss their ass.  

Megyn Kelly better watch herself.  If she takes this too far she could end up not only a joke (she already is imo), but going down in news reporter history as a child molester apologist.   

• Love 16
(edited)

I will have to rely on you guys keeping me updated or posting a link to this interview when it happens.

But, when I read it was taking place in the Duggars home my heart sank, I think we all know how this is going to go........it will be all praying to God, Gods forgiveness, Michelle with the fixed look of total adoration on her face beaming up at JimBob.....sigh......

No accountability, just more covering up imo.

Edited by KateUK
  • Love 5

That type of thing gets better over time; I saw it in the early, early days with Josh and he was groomed for this type of position within the family. Ie. The family talking head. John David, while awkward now, could have been equally as groomed and been more at ease at this point in his life. 

As the family's talking head (and the reason this interview is happening) Josh should be the one interviewed.

• Love 8
(edited)

My take on any interview is that if Boob gets wind that he is going to get attacked he will just cancel.

I don't think they can take the heat of hard questions and I would be delighted if they are going to have phone calls from the public asking questions!!!!! HA! Can you imagine Boob sweating.

Phone calls from the public...I wish. Especially knowing they'll be in their own home, it's going to be a complete joke of an "interview." By the way, does anyone remember that Megyn Kelly is the one who got all angry about someone suggesting that Santa didn't have to be white, and announced to "all the kids watching (not sure why kids young enough to believe in Santa would have been watching her show, but whatever) that Santa Claus is white, don't you worry. LOL -- anyone who would get so passionate about facts regarding a pretend character is right up the Duggars' alley. Creation museum, anyone?

I think if anyone shows emotion, it will be Jim Bob.  Michelle will just nod wide-eyed, and speaking very calmly, she'll minimize the molestation.  "Josh was in a molesting season of life...One of his little glitches...He had desires stirred up inside of him that could not righteously be fulfilled..."  Probably very little, if any mention of the girls and what they've been through.  At any rate, "it brought the family closer to God, God laid it on their hearts to forgive him..."  Yada, yada, yada. 

No way are either of them going to use the word "molest." And great point regarding Jim Bob not considering what Josh did to be incest, because it didn't involve penile penetration. The patriarchal viewpoint that it's all about the penis is really pervasive. My mom's reaction when I broke the Duggar news to her was, "At least they weren't raped; that would have been so much worse for the girls." I had to have a long talk with her and educate her about the emotional repercussions of sexual abuse having nothing to do with whether or not you were penetrated by a penis. 

Edited by becca3891
  • Love 14
(edited)

I am still hung up on Josh/Anna having 8 cars - what the hell? Why?

Never could stand either one of them, now everything I read just reinforces my opinion. I started out thinking no way in hell Anna knew everything Josh had done, despite his supposed confession two years before they married (that timeline is suspect). I am beginning to think maybe she really did know after all.

Many have commented here on her being a good mother. I suppose that is true, but she always came across to me as having the attitude she was such a good parent and she could help others learn to be the same. Superior, smug and condescending  IMO.

Josh's salary at FRC (just the likely salary range) is sickening and a slap in the face to everyone who has worked hard to advance their career. He waltzed in based on his surname, despite being ignorant, uneducated and now we know able to compartmentalize deep dark secrets about himself while hating on others whose lifestyle differed from his.

No sympathy from me for either Josh or Anna. 

Edited by whydoiwatch
  • Love 15

The Kelly interview will be pretaped. As an earlier poster said, sorry but I cannot find the original quote, that Jim Bob has never sat for an actual interview. Any interviews in the last decade have been scripted with approved questions and memorized responses.

I think the original poster was in the media thread. That is where I read about the interview being pretaped.

• Love 1
(edited)

Josh's position, I believe, as a new position created just for him. The Executive Durector of the FRC made $230,000. But Josh wasExecutive Director of FRC Action, their political wing, and a much smaller position. It's an important distinction. His job was Almost certainly to go out and meet with elected officials to get them to continue to treat his PAC with the deference it deserved and to contact voters within the religious subgroups where he had personal access because of his childhood and ability to speak the right language. His world often doesn't vote or donate to the Republican Party - the often vote Constitution Party or stay home. Josh was to act as an intermediary between the two. Plenty of elections, even at the presidential level, by a few thousand votes.

That's not a $230,000 job. That a $75-125,000 job.

Edited by GEML
  • Love 2

ITA with shibori about his salary, and do we know whether his housing was expensed to the organization since his home base was Arkansas?  Pure speculation on my part, but it seems to me that he was hired due to his family's fame in evangelical/fundamental circles, which means all bets were off as to what was compensated, in my experience.  This is FRC we are talking about, and in the land of bloated overpaid lobbyists.

• Love 2
(edited)

Maybe someone can explain to me.  I get that Josh did whatever he needed to to be forgiven in his religion BUT does the Bible not say something like "Render unto God that which is God's and render unto Caesar that which is Caesars"? I know this is about taxes but do also mean Josh should have accepted any criminal or civil penalties?

In my experience (retired minister, husband was an attorney) the answer is "yes." If, in a local community or state there is a strong presence of a religious group that have some prohibitions in their creed (i.e. swearing in court), then the law has long since allowed adaptations. But generally speaking fundamentalist Christians often say those very words as their reason for complying with particular penalties. Not saying this is true everywhere, just in my neck of the woods. 

Edited by mbutterfly
  • Love 3

His world often doesn't vote or donate to the Republican Party

I call baloney on this, sorry.  They vote for candidates like Huckabee and Santorum and then if they are really offended sit out the general.  But the primaries matter a lot, they are where the candidate is chosen.

• Love 3
(edited)

I found the following, which I don't recall seeing here, on Christian Today. Why church abuse scandals must prioritise the voices of victims, not perpetrators and found the following quite interesting,

I've been aware for some years that sexual abuse allegations involving Josh Duggar have long been discussed on internet forums – sadly proving completely correct in both the details and the way they were handled by the Duggar family.

How sad that this was out there in circles for years before being brought to light.

Edited by Koffee Kup
  • Love 8

Actually, Doug Phillips, now disgraced Vision Forum Leader (the subculture Ben Seewald's family follows and who awarded Michelle Mother of the Year and put on the Film Festival the Duggars and many other homeschoolers attended) is the son of Howard Phillips, who ran for President under the Constitution Party. This personal meeting would have meant a lot to many people, especially as they felt even the conservative candidates were too liberal.

It was talked about years ago on the TWOP forums. No details. I think it was surmised to be a teenage make out session between Josh and some girl. When it resurfaced last week and there was talk of his sisters I thought "wow, this site has really gone off the rails. How can the mods allow this rampant speculation." I posted asking where folks got these details and was directed to the police reports. Opened my eyes. (and the moderators are doing an amazing job keeping these forums on topic!)

• Love 7

Maryland has pretty high car-insurance rates, 11th in the nation this year according to this.

http://www.insure.com/car-insurance/car-insurance-rates.html

And I thought I'd remembered that PG county, where Josh lives, have had among the highest. Just looked it up -- Oxon Hill listed as having the third highest car-insurance rates in the state in 2014: $1,901.04              

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/insurance/2014/04/14/average-md-maryland-car-insurance-rate/

Even a high salary gets eaten up with prices like that. Josh being Josh, though, he may have taken the price tags as evidence of his top-guy status.

• Love 1
(edited)

Dont forget, he was a "young" teen when he made the mistake.

If they have someone smart advising them, assuming there is such a person, they won't even say "teen." It will be boy, then young boy...by the tear-filled last scene he'll be a toddler.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 23
(edited)

AmandaPanda, on 30 May 2015 - 12:15 PM, said:

Deadline had more information about it. It's going to be just JB and Michelle. It will be pre-taped to air during Megyn Kelly's timeslot (9 PM ET). There will also be a one-hour special of The Kelly File on Friday that will be devoted to the Duggars.

http://deadline.com/2015/05/duggar-parents-interview-megyn-kelly-fox-news-channel-19-kids-and-counting-tlc-1201434863/

Edited by midwesthoosier
  • Love 1

The average household salary in my county (which is better off than the one where Josh and Anna lives) was $125,000. Again, that's per HOUSEHOLD. Yes, it's a very expensive place to live. But it isn't as though people who don't make a quarter of a million dollars can't do it.

(edited)

http://megynkelly.org/159400/a-christian-defense-of-josh-duggar/   

In this, she actually compares teenage (premarital) sex with a 14 year old boy molesting sleeping 5 year old girls.   Yup.   

I have always thought she was just a Fox shill, but she's very dangerous if this is the kind of garbage she spews.   This is very similar to when she had an anonymous cop phone in and make up allegations about Freddie Gray.    She's absolutely perfect for the Duggars-tailor made for their goal of presenting their side.   

PT Barnum was right.

Edited by rulesoftravel
  • Love 6

http://megynkelly.org/159400/a-christian-defense-of-josh-duggar/   

In this, she actually compares teenage (premarital) sex with a 14 year old boy molesting sleeping 5 year old girls.   Yup.   

I have always thought she was just a Fox shill, but she's very dangerous if this is the kind of garbage she spews.   This is very similar to when she had an anonymous cop phone in and make up allegations about Freddie Gray.    She's absolutely perfect for the Duggars-tailor made for their goal of presenting their side.   

PT Barnum was right.

That's a parody website. Kelly didn't write it.

• Love 5

I don't hold it against Anna for doing things like obtaining braces to improve her appearance. Most of us in that same finanical position would probably do the same thing.  Also, as the wife of someone in Josh's position, she would be expected to look good and not wear shitty/ugly looking clothes.

100%.  If I had the $$$ I would be scheduling my tummy tuck NOW.

• Love 5
(edited)

Thank you for that correction. I did not know that.  But she did do the character assassination of  Freddie Gray, so I stand by my assertion that she's a dangerous hate mongering shill for Fox News.  And it seems like more of a support/tribute site than a parody site.

And PT Barnum was still right.  (I was the sucker.)

Edited by rulesoftravel
  • Love 13
(edited)

One of the first things that popped into my head upon awakening today was "I wonder if Anna will still name the baby Michelle now?!"

(That was my guess of what it was going to be).

I thought I only hate watched before..so I started thinking, "why do I care?"

I think I'm mourning in advance all the delicious snarky posts that would have been written on this board about it.

I miss being able to lightly snark about how weird they all were..before we knew the reality of how REALLY weird and despicable some of them are.

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 9

This is a fascinating commentary.....and i can't help but wonder if it will take Jim Bob to go to his "great reward" in the sky before Josh doesn't advise anyone asking him questions to go talk to his dad.

• Love 2

This ran in the Northwest Arkansas edition of the statewide paper this morning from a very former colleague.  Nothing about this really surprises me, from both the scuttlebutt at the time or knowing what we know now about the family.

http://m.nwaonline.com/news/2015/may/30/commentary-the-age-of-accountability-20/

From that article:

I went to see Duggar in 2007. The case name and number for a sealed court file fell into our hands, but that and rumors were all we had. I realized Duggar was 18 by then, so the next day I drove to the car lot where he worked as a partner with his grandfather.

Working with the grandfather is news to me. If it was Michelle's dad, well...those laundering rumors suddenly make sense.

• Love 5
(edited)

Hope the mainstream media picks up this article.  Very interesting.  Maybe Gawker would be interested?  After they ran the piece on Jim Bob's campaign stance on incest it was all over the front page of MSN.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 1

really?  I read the article and didn't think it was particularly revealing and mostly innuendo.  What I want to know is this.  Why is it the public's business?  If this  had happened in my family, with a  minor as the perp, it would be the business of my family and nobody would be owed any explanations.  

• Love 3

Josh was there because of his last name. He flew around the country and met various supporters and had some photo ops (now I'm sure many people would love to forget they posed with him). He also did some radio shows for FRC. Not to defend his high salary but how many people had heard about FRC or followed what they were doing before Josh? I had heard about the shooting before Josh was employed there but that was it. Josh's 18 months at FRC got more people talking about it then all the other 150k executives with degrees and that is exactly why he was hired. If this scandal didn't happen, Josh & Anna and there 4 kids including a newborn would have been traveling this fall to kick off the 2016 campaigns in the FRC RV pro life tour bus. Josh was to be the face of the young conservative large family. I always thought that it was sure a high pressure job in a way that kind of part of your employment requirements is to keep having kids and traveling with your young kids. I love my kids but I only traveled with a newborn and 1 toddler on a plane 3 times, all out of necessity (funerals & wedding) and I would not want to do it as a living every election season.

It's hard to believe anyone would work there with a college degree, especially graduate work. (not discounting that, it's just hard to believe anyone with an education would feel that was a legitimate organization to work for.....)

• Love 3

Wanderwoman - Question please -Since you are familar with the fundy lifestyle, do you think Josh told Anna EVERYTHING?

Anything I say would be almost pure speculation, so if mods want to remove this, remove it.

In my opinion, and based on the things shared in their speeches (where they tend to speak more openly because the audiences are like-minded) and books, Anna has hinted about Josh having had struggles during his "early teens." In one of their speeches for Family Research Action Council and political stumpng, Anna has claimed that she knows "sexual morality is a choice. ", with the implication being that gays can choose not to act on the "immoral impulse". At one rally, she said she knows change is possible because she knows "people who had immoral temptations that chose redemption". So, yeah, she knew. I think she was talking about Josh and I think Josh's crimes resolved the family's passion for opposing any deviation from traditional sex roles. He protests to much and all that jazz. I have very little doubt that Josh told Anna an agreed upon family version of the events that downplayed the acts and highlighted the absolution and forgiveness. As Anna, if I spoke to a victim of abuse who claimed she barely remembered it or was asleep and forgave Josh, then I might reasonably assume it was less criminal than it actually was. My understanding is that these people view forgiveness and family loyalty as blessings. Subsequently, not giving someone within the herd absolution reflects on YOU. The victim takes on a responsibility they shouldn't have. I think Josh could've done anything short of homosexuality and Anna (and the victims) would give him forgiveness and love.

We don't know precisely what happened and what Anna knew or when she knew it all. I suspect she has learned more about it in the last two weeks than she knew before her marriage. I do believe she, and all the Duggars, are more interested in maintaining their fame than knowing or acknowledging truth.

• Love 12

No way are either of them going to use the word "molest." And great point regarding Jim Bob not considering what Josh did to be incest, because it didn't involve penile penetration.

I want to hear Jim Bob actually speak the words "penile penetration."  I don't think he will be able to get the words out, lol.  But he has to say it in to in order to draw the necessary distinction between what Josh did and "actual" incest.  Because if he can't, by Jim Bob's own edict, Josh deserves to DIE.  I can't think of a euphemism he could use ... "penile penetration" is already pretty euphemism-y itself.  I am guessing he will come up with one, though.

Whatever he comes up with to say, I am picturing Jim Bob clamping his hands over Michelle's ears as he says it.  She is too delicate to hear even veiled references to anything so vulgar, lol.  Although with 19 kids (and she delivered every one!), I would guess she is pretty much an expert on the subject.

This reminds me of a clip of an interview I saw with Jim Bob being questioned about the contents of some political speech he had just made (or some such) and he was completely overwhelmed and befuddled.  He was completely at a loss when asked to elaborate on some point he had made, and it was the height of uncomfortableness.  Michelle was standing there at his side, trying to gaze at him with her typical glassy-eyed admiration, but it was obvious she knew he was drowning.  It was AWFUL.

I guess there is no chance of a repeat performance with this canned Megyn Kelly interview though.  It's too bad.  I would pay cash money to see Jim Bob have to answer three real questions about what happened off the cuff.  I think he would burst into tears and run and lock himself in his prayer closet before the interviewer got halfway through the first question.  

• Love 10

Definitely it stopped being "family business" when one of the victims wasn't a family member. IMO, I'm not sure serial molestation is ever "family business," if that means you don't involve outside experts and get professional help for the victims and for the molester.

• Love 17